PDA

View Full Version : What taste good?

fusedspine
01-04-2011, 10:25 AM
After surgery and you have settled in at home. What taste good?? soup, steak, fast food???

I want to make sure I stock the kitchen with some of everything. I know after surgery tons of meds food will taste different.

fierceliketiger
01-04-2011, 10:34 AM
For me, it was fruit. Pomegranates, honeydew, and cantaloupe. Also sandwiches.

Doodles
01-04-2011, 02:21 PM
I agree with Fierce. Not much tasted great except fruit--that was the best! Janet

Fierce--I think I have my PM files cleared out now! I never think of doing that.

jesscv
01-04-2011, 03:37 PM
Very strange, but all I wanted to eat post-op was BLTs...though I'm a vegetarian so it was with veggie bacon. :) I had absolutely no appetite except for those things!

leahdragonfly
01-04-2011, 06:28 PM
I had extreme nausea and vomitting for 12 days post-op, then weeks of poor appetite. For the first 6 weeks I basically lived on:

-ginger ale
-cream of wheat
-applesauce
-bananas
-toast
-cottage cheese
-grapes.

I couldn't even think of eating meat of any type or fish for well past 6 weeks. But I tolerate narcotics very poorly in regards to my digestion. Some luckier people here have woken up ravenous for all sorts of regular foods. Hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones, too!

Good luck,

Gayle

JenniferG
01-04-2011, 07:57 PM
Home cooking! Fresh vegetables! Oh I loved it. My partner is a great cook, and we love spicy food and are big vegetable eaters. After the bland hospital food (which was very good for mass-produced food) I was hanging out for spicy food. Partner obliged! I didn't lose my appetite at all, was hungry from day 2. Sandwiches were enjoyable too, anything with tomato.

ShariMSU
01-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Like others I did not eat much at all. Had to drink Ensure just to get nutrients. After the first 3 or 4 weeks, I started to really like egg salad sandwiches. Not sure why, but it was good for me. Ate a lot of yogurt and fruit too. I could not eat meat for a very long time.
Of course milk shakes and ice cream tasted great. Since i needed to gain weight back I ate it freely.
LaShawn I just recognized your name and realize you are the one having your surgery with Dr. Herkowitz. I love that man. I just got off the phone with a scoli friend from Jackson that had surgery with Dr. Herkowitz on November 11. She is doing so awesome!! I can't believe how great she is doing.
Good luck and you are in such good hands!
Tell him Shari says Hi.

LindaRacine
01-04-2011, 09:50 PM
It was fruit for me as well.