thinking about scheduling surgery with dr. rand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thinking about scheduling surgery with dr. rand

I'm new to this forum and like others mentioned, am so glad it's here!

I was braced in middle school but my thoracic curve has progressed to just slightly under 50 and my other curve is around 30 degrees.

Dr. Rand basically said I could go either way with surgery. I am in pain but I also am just sick and tired of having a deformity. He would fuse T1-T12.

I just got married this summer and have an amazing husband who loves me and supports me. My parents don't want me to do the surgery but ultimately it's my decision.

I am going to a spinal fusion class in Feb. so hopefully that will give me more insight. I'm hoping to have the surgery this summer because I'm a teacher.

I guess what's holding me back is the fact that I'm not in unbearable pain and it's such a major surgery to have. I'm nervous about all of the risks!

Thanks for reading
    Christina

Such a tough decision! I don't have an answer for you but I do wish I could have had my surgery when I was younger; I was sixty five and was in some kind of pain most of my adult life. Because of your age you are probably flexible and therefore will probably get a good correction.
    Dr. Rand was my surgeon and I can't say enough about him. That being said, it is very major surgery and that fact has to be concidered. Big help huh?!
    Also I live quite close to you, in Chelmsford and in Charlestown (on our boat in Boston Harbor) in the summer. Our surgeries would not be simular but I would be glad to help in any way I could
    Diagnosed age 10. No treatment
    Thoracic curve:?
    Lumbar curve: 50 degrees with rotation
    Surgery Sept.16,2009
    Fusion T-11 to pelvis
    Dr. Frank Rand
    New England Baptist Hospital

Comment

Thanks so much for your response. You are right about what you wrote...and there is no easy answer!

You had a 50 degree curve as well? What is it now?
      How was your recovery?

Comment

Hi Christina,
        Dr. Rand was also my surgeon and I feel he is a very special and skilled individual. It was kind of love a first sight. I was in severe pain and had I known that I had a scoliosis at an earlier age, I would have had surgery sooner. Dr. Rand was not able to get much of a correction due to my age but did correct my lumbar lordosis and stabilize my spine. How old are you? If Dr. Rand said it could go either way, he leaves the decision up to you because there is no rush to have the surgery. Everyone worries about the risks but so many precautions are taken today that the risks are minimal. You would certainly be in the best of hands with Dr. Rand. Take all the time you need to educate yourself and communicate with others on this forum who are in your age range and ask Dr. Rand for names of people who have had the surgery so you can hear of their experiences.
        Take care, Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

To answer your questions. My recovery wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The problems I ran into will be so different that yours I won't even go there. I don't know what my correction is. Dr Rand says that as long as my quality of life is better (it is!) the correction measurments don't matter (said he would measure it if I wanted). He also correcter my "collapsing mid spine" and gave me the lordosis I needed.
          I agree with Sally that you should ask Dr. Rand to hook you up with somebody that had surgery simular to yours. I did that and it was great! (thanks Jo!) Since lumbar surgery is a lot more common that thoracic surgery this may not be possible for you; if not I would send out a "HELP!" to the forum and talk to the thoracic people.
          I am sending you a PM.
          Diagnosed age 10. No treatment
          Thoracic curve:?
          Lumbar curve: 50 degrees with rotation
          Surgery Sept.16,2009
          Fusion T-11 to pelvis
          Dr. Frank Rand
          New England Baptist Hospital

Comment

Thanks for the tip about the different types of surgeries. I wasn't even thinking about how different the fused parts of the spine are!

Comment

Check out the "store" on this website and buy the book called Scoliosis Surgery: The Definitive Patients' Reference. It will help A LOT!
              age 48
              80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
              Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
              Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
              Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

I just had surgery with Dr. Rand on Dec. 7. I would be glad to speak with you about my experience and the decision-making process. It is difficult to decide. You are lucky to have found this forum. I can't say enough about the help and support I have received from the wonderful people that are part of this forum.

I'll send you a pm so you can contact me.

Comment

Very Informative Book for Scoliosis Patients!

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                  Check out the "store" on this website and buy the book called Scoliosis Surgery: The Definitive Patients' Reference. It will help A LOT!
                  This book is the most informative book for patients thinking of having the surgery. I think it is a must read for all!! I felt so much better after reading his book.
                  Everything is covered in this book.

Comment

Just ordered it. Thanks guys!
                    -Christina

Comment

Working...
                    X