PDA

View Full Version : 5 days to go-bag is packed

golfnut
12-31-2010, 11:38 AM
When I was packing my bag this morning for the hospital, the Peter, Paul, and Mary song from the 60's kept going through my head. Are any of you old enough to remember "Leaving on a Jet Plane" which starts out, "All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go" ? I forgot my Ipod today when working out at the Y, so I made up this poem to pass the time. I hope no English teachers read it!!!!

All my bags are packed
I'm ready to go
The roads are clear
There is no snow
Already, I'm so homesick, I could cry.

I know the rules
No lift, bend, stoop
My biggest worry is . . .
Will I poop???
But just in case
I have Citrate and Colace.

John's sister, Jane
Will drive here soon
To walk the dogs
And help John, too
When Dr Lenke has fixed my back
Jane will post and keep the nurses on track.

2010 has come to an end
And I am thankful
For my scoli friends!

Happy New Year!

I'll post when I'm able and on "the other side".

jrnyc
12-31-2010, 06:11 PM
hey Karen
best wishes for an uneventful procedure, and a smooth and rapid recovery!
hope 2011 brings a new, improved you...without pain...

jess

JenniferG
12-31-2010, 06:35 PM
Awww, that's good Karen. I can imagine how you're feeling at this stage.

You have much to look forward to in 2011. This is going to be YOUR year!

Best wishes,
Jen

kennedy
12-31-2010, 07:04 PM
good luck karen

jeneemohler
12-31-2010, 08:27 PM
Oh my, Karen... Here we go!!!! Hang on, cuz there is no stopping this train now! I hope you are psyched for this and looking forward to the benefits. I will be thinking of you, my friend!

golfnut
12-31-2010, 08:39 PM
Jenee',
Every time I think about having foreign objects such as rods and screws in my back for 14 vertebrae, I stop and try to visualize all of the awesome "after" pictures that have been posted on this forum and hope that I, too, will have the same results. I know you are right behind me with your surgery. I will send good thoughts your way on the 10th if I am at all capable. Best of luck to you! I know you have a terrific attitude and will do well!

junosand
12-31-2010, 09:50 PM
let me join the chorus of best wishes; i think you're well prepared and that makes all the difference in the world; i am excited for you as your journey begins on the road to being so much better

look forward to hearing how you progress

titaniumed
12-31-2010, 11:20 PM
Karen

You will do just fine. You know what to expect, you have prepared yourself....

Will you poop? LOL Donít be silly!
Ed

Nitram
01-01-2011, 12:18 AM
Good luck Karen, you'll do great!

Nitram

golfnut
01-01-2011, 03:57 AM
Thanks, everyone, for your positive comments and wishes. Thirteen months of waiting and worrying has been tough, however, it gave me time to prepare mentally and physically. The poem was just a weak attempt at a little humor. The good news is, so far, I haven't had any tears. I'm sure saying good by to my 2 dogs won't be easy, but then, I know mothers on the forum have had to do it, so I can, as well.

mbeckoff
01-01-2011, 09:06 AM
Best of everything to you

Soon you will be on the other side , feeling much better

You are in my prayers

Melissa

loves to skate
01-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Karen,
I love your poem. Humor is the best medicine. I never cried until the day after surgery because of a stupid physical therapist. I will be praying for you.
Sally

foofer
01-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Karen,

You're going to do well, especially with your great attitude and humor. I've watched you on your journey these last long months, and here you are...on your way to a new life! Looking forward to those first posts....

Loved your poem!

Doodles
01-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Karen--
It's almost here! And as a retired English teacher--I say good going & also hope you will be "going"! You've prepared so well and have a sense of humor to go with all this tough stuff. Prayers for a successful surgery and recovery. Best wishes! Janet

Jacque's Mom
01-02-2011, 12:23 AM
Hi Karen,

All the best for a uneventful surgery and a wonderful correction. It's here and I know you'll do well. You've been so strong in helping others that I just know, you'll do just fine. I've been thinking of you these past few days as my last few days were filled with happiness, relief it was here, and of course a bit anxious but that's completely normal. Take care, and can't wait to hear from you "on the other side".
All the best, xoxo Lynn

KathK
01-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Loved your lyrics! I know that you will do great! Before you know it, you'll be headed home (and I'll be praying for snow free roads for you then, too).

I don't think you could be any better prepared! All that's left is to put yourself in the hands of Dr. L and his team!

Big hugs!

JamieAnn
01-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Karen,

I remember in the last few days before my surgery I got incredibly sad about "missing" my husband and our home, friends, etc, while I was recovering. I felt like I was leaving and wouldn't be back to normal for so long. Yes I left for 6 days but the time went fast and now 3 months later, I really feel quite normal again (with minor limitations of course). The surgery will only be a matter of hours but your life will be there waiting for you when you come home, and it is only a short time before you can really enjoy being you again.

Like Junosand said, you being so prepared really will make a difference. For me, all of the things I worried about never really bothered me - it was the unexpected things that made the whole experience interesting! :)

Best of luck - we'll all be anxious to hear how you're doing!

-Jamie

golfnut
01-02-2011, 03:55 PM
Thanks, everyone.
JamieAnn-You nailed my feelings exactly. Thanks for making me feel better. I don't want to be some drugged up person trying to regulate body functions, but I know it goes with the territory.
I am reasonably calm today . . . staying busy taking down Christmas decorations. John and I are going to see Little Fockers and go to dinner Mon. evening. Tues. a.m. is the central line and final tests and then back home. We'll leave home at 5:30 a.m. on Wed.
Thanks, again, for your positive comments and support for months.

naptown78
01-02-2011, 04:19 PM
Karen,
I am definitely old enough to remember that song! Good luck with your surgery and may it give you the relief you deserve ;-)
I remember my last days prior to surgery, I would think "this is my last weekend with a crooked back, my last breakfast with a crooked back, last work day...you know what I mean). I couldn't help myself counting down. As you go into the hospital, you may have butterflies but also a sense of excitement. Your surgeon is the best! I look forward to hearing how things go ;-)))

LisaB
01-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Good Luck Karen! You'll do great! Just give yourself plenty of time to recover. I just got back from the Colts game! See, there is life after scoliosis surgery! I'll be thinking of you on the 5th and wishing you the best.

golfnut
01-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Kristy-I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one old enough to remember Peter, Paul, and Mary!
LisaB-I know I will have a fun life again eventually. Didn't you travel to Florida with your husband a few months after your surgery? I remember being amazed at the time.

Thanks, again.

Jenee'-You're right behind me and I know you'll do well. We'll compare notes over the phone when we're both up to it.

Doodles
01-03-2011, 04:37 PM
For the record it was one of my favorite songs as a freshman in college--just a couple years ago, I believe. Janet

ADMoul
01-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Karen, Wishing you the very, very best. I know how intimidated I was about going to NYC and being in a strange hospital and too far away for anyone from home to visit. My poor husband was on his own but he did great dealing with the subways and life in NY. (And the bonus is we have since really fallen in love with NYC and I want to run up there for weekends and see shows and be a complete tourist!) Anyway, I am walking right there with you--this is when it all came together for me about a year ago. And I love my hardware (other than the literal pain-in-the butt screw in my hip) because it has taken away all my pain. You have a fantastic surgeon and you will be in the best of hands. Will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers all week.

LisaB
01-03-2011, 10:42 PM
Golf Nut - I was a big Peter, Paul & Mary fan and yes I am definitely old enough to remember the song. And I did go to FL 7 weeks after my surgery and did fine. I just couldn't pull my bag or carry much of a carry on since I had to be under 10 pounds between the carryon and my purse. You will do great,too. Just go in with a positive frame of mind and keep thinking of the positive benefits you will be getting from the surgery! The nurse anesthesist told me that when I woke up after surgery the first thing I said was "am I taller?" So you know what I was dreaming about during surgery.

PagetH
01-04-2011, 05:35 AM
Hi Karen, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. My surgery is on January 11th, 1 week from today. I know exactly how you're feeling!! I know you'll do great.

Best wishes, Paget

leahdragonfly
01-04-2011, 10:04 AM
Dear Karen,

This last day before surgery can seem very surreal and nerve-wracking, but you are very well prepared and in the very best of hands with your surgical team.

We will all be thinking positive thoughts for you here, and will look forward to hearing updates if someone can post them for you. The days in the hospital can pass in a haze, then before you know it you will be home again with your fur-kids.

Please do let us know how you're doing when you are up to it. Good luck!

Gayle

golfnut
01-04-2011, 03:21 PM
Paget,
Good luck with your surgery. I got the central line in this a.m. so I guess there's no turning back now.
Thanks,again, to all of your prayers and well wishes. My husband's sister, Jane, is going to post when the surgery is over.

peachrush7
01-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Best wishes tomorrow! I'm excited for you! It's hard but worth it. Many blessings! Rebecca

JenniferG
01-04-2011, 08:08 PM
I've been looking for this thread because it's the 5th here so I guess your surgery is tonight, our time.

Wanted to wish you all the very best Karen. I am sure you are going to do very well. You are very well prepared, you have a great surgeon, you are fit and healthy. I believe this will ensure a fantastic outcome. I don't think it will be long before you are home and telling us all about it yourself.

I'll be thinking of you tonight before I go to bed.

KathK
01-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Thinking of you, Karen. Will be sending positive thoughts and prayers your way in the morning. Soon we will be welcoming you to the other side (smiles)...

Hugs

jeneemohler
01-04-2011, 11:22 PM
Well Karen, here you are, only hours away... Keep thinking about you all evening. When you read this, you will be a regal, TALLER lady on her way to catching up on her golf swing!! I look forward to talking to you when we are both up to it. Sorry I missed your call. It was so nice of you to call me when you have your OWN surgery to contend with! Love and hugs to you!!!

Confusedmom
01-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Karen,

By the time you read this, you will be on "the other side." Thinking of you and praying for a speedy recovery! Post soon.

:),
Evelyn