Pelvic people...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pelvic people...

For those that have had lumbar fusion with pelvic fixation, are you still having soreness in your Pelvis? I'm 10 months post op and doing very well overall...the only discomfort I still have is in my pelvis, I feel like its the pelvic anchors but who knows. It's not horrible by any means, and I'm taking no pain meds at all, just curious if eventually that will diminish as well.

Thanks

Nitram
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
    A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
    Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
    Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

I have never made it 10 months out without an issue, but I do know that some people with a pelvic fixation do continue to have some soreness from the anchors, especially if they are thin.
    25 years old
    double 70+ degree curves before surgery
    Anterior on 11/11/08
    Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
    nearly perfect correction
    fused t-10 to pelvis
    with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
    Broke left rod on 10/24/09
    Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
    Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
    Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

Hi Nitram,

I am almost 12 weeks post-op, T8-sacrum with a pelvic anchor on the left only. I definitely have had a lot of discomfort from the area of the pelvic anchor. A few weeks ago I posted because the pain was stabbing like an ice-pick at times, especially at the end of the day. The pain is still nearly ever-present but it seems to be diminishing and is now more like an aching soreness than a stabbing.

I asked my surgeon about potential pelvic-fixation pain at pre op, and he said he had changed the way he put in the anchors so as to avoid pain...I have my 12 week post-op next week, so I will definitely be asking him about this and post if I learn anything helpful.

Curious, have you been allowed to try NSAIDS, and if so, do they help?

Good luck,
      Gayle, age 50
      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

pelvis pain???

It was a good 18 months before I didn't need a little something for assorted jabs and aches. Re-aligning a body is a major undertaking.
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

hey...i swear i started a thread a while back called "all the pelvic people"...i started singing to Beyonce's song "all the single ladies" but it went "all the pelvic people, all the pelvic people..."
          just a note to say i was asking about those who had fusion to pelvis a year ago, as i am a candidate for such surgery...

i wish all who had the surgery the best recovery...all the way down to the pelvis...
          and a speedy relief of pain!

jess

Comment

It was the lower back area that gave me the most problem pre-op but I haven't had so much as a twinge in that area since surgery, which simply blows me away! I look at my x-rays and can't believe I've got all that hardware in there and can't feel it. It doesn't seem possible.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Gayle, sounds like our surgeries were somewhat similar...I think you're very early in the recovery and I had all sorts of pains like that which do diminish over time. The pelvic discomfort has become MUCH better over time, but hasn't changed too much recently.

As for NSAIDS, I haven't even asked about them to be honest, I probably should but since I wasn't allowed to take them early on I figure I'm not taking them at all for at least a year just to be safe. I really don't want to take any chances that I'm going to mess something up....figured better to be overly safe than sorry. Honestly my discomfort is minor, I can live with it.

Rich

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
              Hi Nitram,

I am almost 12 weeks post-op, T8-sacrum with a pelvic anchor on the left only. I definitely have had a lot of discomfort from the area of the pelvic anchor. A few weeks ago I posted because the pain was stabbing like an ice-pick at times, especially at the end of the day. The pain is still nearly ever-present but it seems to be diminishing and is now more like an aching soreness than a stabbing.

I asked my surgeon about potential pelvic-fixation pain at pre op, and he said he had changed the way he put in the anchors so as to avoid pain...I have my 12 week post-op next week, so I will definitely be asking him about this and post if I learn anything helpful.

Curious, have you been allowed to try NSAIDS, and if so, do they help?

Good luck,
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
              A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
              Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
              Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

Working...
              X