PDA

View Full Version : Pelvic people...

Nitram
12-30-2010, 01:11 PM
For those that have had lumbar fusion with pelvic fixation, are you still having soreness in your Pelvis? I'm 10 months post op and doing very well overall...the only discomfort I still have is in my pelvis, I feel like its the pelvic anchors but who knows. It's not horrible by any means, and I'm taking no pain meds at all, just curious if eventually that will diminish as well.

Thanks

Nitram

fierceliketiger
12-30-2010, 01:23 PM
I have never made it 10 months out without an issue, but I do know that some people with a pelvic fixation do continue to have some soreness from the anchors, especially if they are thin.

leahdragonfly
12-30-2010, 01:33 PM
Hi Nitram,

I am almost 12 weeks post-op, T8-sacrum with a pelvic anchor on the left only. I definitely have had a lot of discomfort from the area of the pelvic anchor. A few weeks ago I posted because the pain was stabbing like an ice-pick at times, especially at the end of the day. The pain is still nearly ever-present but it seems to be diminishing and is now more like an aching soreness than a stabbing.

I asked my surgeon about potential pelvic-fixation pain at pre op, and he said he had changed the way he put in the anchors so as to avoid pain...I have my 12 week post-op next week, so I will definitely be asking him about this and post if I learn anything helpful.

Curious, have you been allowed to try NSAIDS, and if so, do they help?

Good luck,

Karen Ocker
12-30-2010, 05:57 PM
It was a good 18 months before I didn't need a little something for assorted jabs and aches. Re-aligning a body is a major undertaking.

jrnyc
12-30-2010, 06:08 PM
hey...i swear i started a thread a while back called "all the pelvic people"...i started singing to Beyonce's song "all the single ladies" but it went "all the pelvic people, all the pelvic people..."
just a note to say i was asking about those who had fusion to pelvis a year ago, as i am a candidate for such surgery...

i wish all who had the surgery the best recovery...all the way down to the pelvis...
and a speedy relief of pain!

jess

JenniferG
12-30-2010, 06:14 PM
It was the lower back area that gave me the most problem pre-op but I haven't had so much as a twinge in that area since surgery, which simply blows me away! I look at my x-rays and can't believe I've got all that hardware in there and can't feel it. It doesn't seem possible.

Nitram
12-31-2010, 03:46 PM
Hi Gayle, sounds like our surgeries were somewhat similar...I think you're very early in the recovery and I had all sorts of pains like that which do diminish over time. The pelvic discomfort has become MUCH better over time, but hasn't changed too much recently.

As for NSAIDS, I haven't even asked about them to be honest, I probably should but since I wasn't allowed to take them early on I figure I'm not taking them at all for at least a year just to be safe. I really don't want to take any chances that I'm going to mess something up....figured better to be overly safe than sorry. Honestly my discomfort is minor, I can live with it.

Rich

Hi Nitram,

I am almost 12 weeks post-op, T8-sacrum with a pelvic anchor on the left only. I definitely have had a lot of discomfort from the area of the pelvic anchor. A few weeks ago I posted because the pain was stabbing like an ice-pick at times, especially at the end of the day. The pain is still nearly ever-present but it seems to be diminishing and is now more like an aching soreness than a stabbing.

I asked my surgeon about potential pelvic-fixation pain at pre op, and he said he had changed the way he put in the anchors so as to avoid pain...I have my 12 week post-op next week, so I will definitely be asking him about this and post if I learn anything helpful.

Curious, have you been allowed to try NSAIDS, and if so, do they help?

Good luck,