PDA

View Full Version : My Scoliosis Surgery Article

Nitram
12-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Hey all, I haven't been posting much recently so I appologize for that...I've been getting back into the swing of things post surgery. Anyway, for those that are considering surgery or have surgery planned, I thought you might like to read an article about my procedure and how well its turned out for me. My doc wrote an article about my procedure and recovery in a Spinal Research Foundation journal this fall. The article about me starts on page 16....click here (http://www.spinerf.com/files/JSRFfall2010.pdf)to read the article. It's a big PDF document, so it may take a while to download.

And yes, I know my doc looks like he is 16! :-)

Rich

lisanicole
12-30-2010, 03:06 PM
Hey Richard!

Great article! You're page 19 when I checked it out..

Love reading people's stories about scoliosis!

Thanks for sharing.

JenniferG
12-30-2010, 06:05 PM
Fantastic! It's so good to hear you doing so well. I can't believe Dr. Good is old enough to be performing such miraculous surgery. ;)

mbeckoff
12-31-2010, 07:51 AM
Glad to hear that you are doing so well. Wonderful story of a doctor listening to his patient. Your doctor looks like he is in high school.

Melissa

titaniumed
12-31-2010, 11:37 AM
Rich,
Very nice article to have! I would frame it!

How do you feel now? How are you doing with the fatigue? I ask because I battled fatigue and had to take afternoon naps for quite some time, about 18 months.

I wonder how much difference (in recovery time) there would have been if I would have had my surgeries 10 years earlier...Hmmm....
Ed

Pooka1
12-31-2010, 12:04 PM
Excellent article.

Heckuva correction you got there. Masterful.

golfnut
12-31-2010, 12:32 PM
Rich,
What a nice article! Thanks for sharing.
Dr. Lenke doesn't brace his patients after surgery, either. Good luck with golf this summer. I'll be working on my short game!

Nitram
12-31-2010, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone....Dr. Good kinda worried me too when I first met him, he's so darn young looking. But given that he had studied under Lenke and assists him on surgeries from time to time I felt comfortable with him and he has a great bedside manner.

Anyway...Ed, as far as fatigue, I'm really not having much of a problem with that...haven't really been that tired since around month 6. The biggest "problem" I still have is mild pain/discomfort in my pelvic region. I'm figuring its due to the screws there, but its a bit annoying at times. Otherwise, I'm feeling pretty good. :-)

Nitram

mbeckoff
01-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Rich,
Very nice article to have! I would frame it!

How do you feel now? How are you doing with the fatigue? I ask because I battled fatigue and had to take afternoon naps for quite some time, about 18 months.

I wonder how much difference (in recovery time) there would have been if I would have had my surgeries 10 years earlier...Hmmm....
Ed

I am still fatigued and I am glad to know that others were too at this point in my post op.I just do not know to figure out what it is from; is it the surgery or is it my fibromyalgia or is it my diabetes or is the newest pain pill I am on

That is my question

titaniumed
01-01-2011, 09:44 AM
Well, happy New year everyone! When the movie 2010 came out in 1985, it seemed so futuristic and so far away....Now, we are past that point.

Melissa

I battled fatigue for about 2 years....I would attribute this to all the changes happening in he body. Your brain tells you its time for a pit stop! Boy, do I miss those afternoon naps!
Ed

Doodles
01-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Ed,
That makes me feel better. I won't be 2 years until the end of March, and if I could I'd try to lie down and at least read every single day. I usually don't sleep but a few minutes but I still just want to get flat. I keep trying to break myself of this and doing it less--deciding I've just gotten terribly lazy. Janet

titaniumed
01-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Janet

I didn’t want to go skiing yesterday, but I went. Breaking the fatigue issues means getting out there and going for it. In other words, “Do it!”

This was yesterday at Donner ski ranch, Norden, Ca.
Ed

jrnyc
01-02-2011, 01:17 PM
oh my gosh, Ed

that much snow makes me long for a soft couch, a good TV movie, and some hot chocolate...

all hail those who defy the elements...
it takes a brave soul!

jess

Doodles
01-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Hey, that looks great! Beautiful picture. But I think I'll leave the skiing part to you. I'll work on hauling around grandbabies and all my usual exercise. Janet

Confusedmom
01-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Rich,

Thanks for posting this article. I'm printing it out and am going to show it to my family. It's a good summary of what is done for people who aren't family with it. Congrats on your awesome recovery!

Evelyn

doodie
01-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Hi Rich~
So happy you posted this article and so nice that your Dr. considers you a success story. Great that you're still doing well and just living your life!

Ed
I enjoyed your little ski video that you posted last week - thanks for that! You give so much encouragement to so many - :)

hdugger
01-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Ed
I enjoyed your little ski video that you posted last week - thanks for that! You give so much encouragement to so many - :)

I agree. I think we ought to make Ed our ambassador :)