frequent heartburn anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frequent heartburn anyone?

today i left early from work because of terrible pains similar to heartburn. about a month after my surgery i began to have heartburn everyday. but i noticed when i took it easy getting out of bed it didn't start up. now i get out of bed a lot quicker and it doesn't bother me at all, well except for today. I haven't had that heartburn feeling for months and today it came back. the only thing i did different was start to excercise the night before i realized it was too much and i quit. but this morning the heartburn feeling came back with a vengence. have any of you had this? im wondering if its related to the surgery because i don't usually get heartburn anymore not since i started taking my time eating (which i started that years ago).

Hi...

I had the opposite problem. I frequestly had heartburn until my surgery, when it stopped. Be sure to mention it to both your surgeon and your primary care doctor.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

This is an odd one as over the past year I have been having more and more trouble with heartburn. I'm going back to my doctor on Monday for it. She thinks its the body's stress reaction to pain that causes excess stomach acid as I mostly get it on the days the pain in my back is worst. I haven't yet had an op for my scoliosis, I'm waiting for a date at the moment. It would be wonderful to think that it would help with that too!

I wonder how common this is with scoliosis, and whether it makes a difference if you have a lumbar, thorassic, or double curve?
      Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
      Post op 30(T)/33(L)
      http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

heartburn

Hi,
        I wondered when I read the post (if you don't mind me asking) do you have to use pain medication? I have had to use ibuprofen and it ate up the lining in my stomack and I have acid reflux from it. If this sounds like maybe it can be this, contact your doctor for a referral to a gastroenterolgoist. I saved my stomach before it got really bad. Also I found out from my family doctor that my mother may have a low estogen problem and it causes her stomach to produce more acids. It is new news to me. But I am going to find out more about that one. Just a hint if you eat later than say 6:00 p.m. you may have acid reflux too. Also your question about the scoliosis maybe causing it, I think when you slouch alot, which unless your fused and cant, it can cause this problem to occur when sitting. Also acid reflux causes problems with your breathing. It isn't a matter to ignore. You can wait to long and causes serious esophagus problems that in some cases can't be reversed. Good Luck, Krystal
        Diagnosed 11 at school screening, surgery 16.
        Had Harrington rods w/fusions.
        Luque-thorasic.
        Full term pregnancies,no major issues.sciatica with the first. Epidurals with C-sections
        2005:lumbar reconstruction, 2 plates, 6 screws in sacrum, and 2 cages with my own bone.
        2007: cervical surgery to correct 4 bulging discs, two fusions with cages using cadaver bone.
        Both of my daughters have scoliosis. Both were diagnosed by 7.
        http://spinedoctors.md/ Dr, Jospeh Flynn Jr

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

I too have frequent heartburn, but i never associated that it might be do scoliosis.

Thank you for sharing.

Comment

I have in the past used Ibuprofen but all asprin based stuff has now been 'banned' by my doctor. She said my use of it in the past might be a contributory factor. Now all my pain meds have to be paracetamol/morphine based. I hate taking anything so try and keep on top of the pain with rest and heat when appropriate as well as making sure that I try and keep as fit and healthy as possible. I do some (limited) pilates which is really good for core strength.

I get it worst if I a) spend too long sitting at a desk or b) do too much walking - these are the things that make my back hurt worst as well.

Its surprised me - I thought I had only a problem with my back & associated nerves - you don't realise the knock on effects sometimes.

Thanks for your answer - the low estogen thing is interesting as well.
            Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
            Post op 30(T)/33(L)
            http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

heartburn

Hi,
              I have been reading like crazy to find out if the "low estrogen" problem I referred to can cause the problem. I so far have only read about taking estrogen and causing acid reflux. I already had that by taking a birth control pill that had that effect. But I still looking for the lower estrogen fact. If any one reads this, that has had acid reflux, and it has gone away after taking estrogen, please post a reply. Thanks.
              Krystal
              Last edited by krystal; 11-26-2004, 09:08 PM.
              Diagnosed 11 at school screening, surgery 16.
              Had Harrington rods w/fusions.
              Luque-thorasic.
              Full term pregnancies,no major issues.sciatica with the first. Epidurals with C-sections
              2005:lumbar reconstruction, 2 plates, 6 screws in sacrum, and 2 cages with my own bone.
              2007: cervical surgery to correct 4 bulging discs, two fusions with cages using cadaver bone.
              Both of my daughters have scoliosis. Both were diagnosed by 7.
              http://spinedoctors.md/ Dr, Jospeh Flynn Jr

Comment

thanks,
                i try not to take any pain meds unless i am in horrible pain. (i hate taking anykind of drugs) but i will be going into see the doctor soon because sometimes the heartburn last for days. I hope there is something they can do about it without me permanately having to take medications. I take enough allergy medications as it is. I want a cure not a symptom reducer like so many medications that are marketed these days. I am on the birth control patch so i don't know if that is what is causing the estrogen thing yall were talking about. I usually only take advil or aleve during my menstral cycle which is only 3 days and i even do that sparengly.

Comment

I was diagnosed with GERD (Reflux Disease) a few years before my surgery. (November 4). But it has diminished significantly since surgery.
                  Ski
                  Gayle

November 4, 2004, 57 yo
                  Instrumented Spinal Fusion ~ T 10 -S1

Comment

Working...
                  X