2 weeks post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 weeks post

i know it has been only 2 weeks since this monster surgery, but when am i suppose to start feeling a little better?
    every day is a new pain... today my chest hurts due to the rib removal.. well, at least is in that area, it seems that i slept in a weir position last nite or something.
    I cannot be without the brace cause otherwise my body doesnt have support.. that's scares me. i feel that my back alone cannot stand on its own.
    Lastly, my skin is all red and itches, but since my torso is all numb i cannot get a relief when i scratch.
    I'm sorry for the rant! i am so uncomfortable and in pain that i feel like i am going crazy!!!
    I am waiting for one day to get better but that day doesn't come...
    Scoliosis Diagnosed at age 12. Wore Milwaukee brace for 2 years.
    Now age 32
    Pre-op curves: C86-T98-L37
    Surgery date: 12/6/2010 (anterior) 12/10/2010 (posterior)
    Fused T2 to L5 with thoracoplasty.
    Post-op curves: C48-T47-L17
    Dr. Robert Pashman
    Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles, CA
    Before and after xrays :
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...5&d=1292969215

Hi Pilar,
    My entire torso was red and itchy for at least 4 weeks post op, and that was after both surgeries. My surgeon thought it was a reaction to the antibiotics used during and after surgery. Everyone's surgery is different and we are all different ages and how we heal. I know I was extremely weak for several weeks and the itching drove me crazy. I slathered so much cortisone cream on my body two to three times a day, I must have used up at least three tubes of the stuff. I know how you feel and I hope you start feeling better soon. Hang in there!
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I know it's tough to be patient, but .... it really does take time to feel better. I was still sleeping most of the time and in very rough shape at two weeks. Watch movies, sleep, take little walks, sleep, eat something, sleep.....you get the idea. Keep the faith!!!
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
        i know it has been only 2 weeks since this monster surgery, but when am i suppose to start feeling a little better?
        every day is a new pain... today my chest hurts due to the rib removal.. well, at least is in that area, it seems that i slept in a weir position last nite or something.
        I cannot be without the brace cause otherwise my body doesnt have support.. that's scares me. i feel that my back alone cannot stand on its own.
        Lastly, my skin is all red and itches, but since my torso is all numb i cannot get a relief when i scratch.
        I'm sorry for the rant! i am so uncomfortable and in pain that i feel like i am going crazy!!!
        I am waiting for one day to get better but that day doesn't come...
        Regarding the brace ,how long does your surgeon want you to wear it? I had to wear mine full time for 6 months and then gradually wean off of it. It does seem like your back cannot support you now but it will be fine down the road. It just takes time and that is the hardest. You are only 2 weeks out.

Melissa

Comment

I am glad there are others here who wore braces who can reassure you this feeling that your back can't support you, will go. It must be a very scary feeling.

I'm sorry you're in so much pain, but having a rib removed must be much more painful than for those of us who didn't have that as part of our surgery. I still feel that your pain control is poor, though at 2 weeks they were still adjusting mine.

It's still very early out, and it will get better. Don't lose faith, instead, look forward to the better times ahead. They WILL happen!

Thanks for the update, keep them coming!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Pilar,
            Your feelings are normal. As you said, this is a "monster" surgery and it will take months to heal. Please give your body time. You will feel new pains in new places through the next few months and they will likely come and go. It is frustrating, sometimes depressing, but in the long run the results will be worth it. Eat well, sleep much, and keep walking and your body will slowly return. Keep your brace on as long as your surgeon wants you too and then when the time comes you will begin a weaning schedule. It is very normal for you to feel like you can't survive without the brace but in time your muscles will get stronger. Keep in touch, and keep your chin up ;-)))
            May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Working...
            X