PDA

View Full Version : pre-op tomorrow!

peachrush7
12-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Well friends, it's almost here!

I have my pre-op appointment tomorrow, and the surgery on Monday the 27th. I can't believe how fast these weeks have gone by. I'm glad I don't have to wait so long, I don't know how many of you all wait years...I'm already sick of this roller coaster of emotions and I've only had my surgery date for a few weeks!

Depending on when you ask me, I alternately feel sick to my stomach with fear, or calm and brave with assurance I'm doing the right thing.

Overall, my sciatica has gotten so bad the last 3 months, it is a daily reminder of why I'm doing this now. I now have to lay down after taking a shower because the pain is so bad just from standing for 10-15 mins. I hope this is resolved by the surgery...we'll see. I had an MRI done and I'll get the results tomorrow when I meet with my surgeon, so hopefully I'll know what exactly is causing it. He thinks it's either a herniated disc at L4-5 or lower, or my stenosis has gotten much worse. Either way, with my curves being what they are, I would have to do a full fusion to fix either problem.

I have such a hard time picturing myself fused for the rest of my life, but I have a harder time picturing trying to start a family with the constant worry of my spine progressing and my pain progressing.

Anyway, just wanted to check in. My husband says he'll post on here for me when I'm out of surgery.

Thanks for any prayers sent my way!

Elisa
12-22-2010, 05:48 PM
I hope everything goes great tomorrow for you Peachrush7, I'll be thinking of you. Tomorrow is also my daughter's 17th. birthday so it will be a good day for both of you.

jeneemohler
12-22-2010, 07:44 PM
Good Luck! We will be thinking of you and looking forward to hearing all about how successful it was. Before you know it, you will be out of surgery, healing, and on your way to an improved quality of life. Rest, heal, and take joy in the fact that we live in a time that this is available to us. I am so thankful that I won't keep progressing until my last day on earth! Keep us posted.

debbei
12-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Good luck sweetie. I know you'll be ok. It must be rough to go through a holiday with this just on the other side. ((Hugs))

pilar
12-22-2010, 10:37 PM
Good Luck!!

Confusedmom
12-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Good luck tomorrow! I'll be thinking of you and sending prayers your way. Do have your husband post.

Evelyn

Jacque's Mom
12-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Tomorrow at this time you will be "on the other side". I wish you the best and will keep you in my prayers. Positive thoughts sending your way.

Lynn

golfnut
12-26-2010, 07:13 PM
Best of luck. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and looking forward to your husband's post. It is hard to imagine being fused the rest of your life, but it sounds like you really need it for a better quality of life.

Doodles
12-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Very best of luck to you and prayers for you and your surgeon! Janet

JenniferG
12-26-2010, 08:50 PM
Good luck Peachrush! Hope you get a great correction and have a smooth recovery.

peachrush7
12-27-2010, 03:25 AM
thank you everyone for the well wishes and prayers!!! how sweet to see this right before I'm about to walk out the door this morning.

I'm calm right now, and actually got a few hours of sleep last night. I go under at 7:30 a.m. eastern time, and the surgery starts at 8:30. It looks like they are going to fuse from T4-Sacrum, all posterior. By the end of the day I should be closer to the 5 feet 10 inches I should have been instead of the 5 feet 8 I am. Maybe I can still get a job as a runway model after this, who knows....=)

Thanks again for all the support. It is amazing how much comfort it gives me as I face this huge challenge.

....See you on the other side!!!!!!

peachrush7
12-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Hello Forum,

While I have read your posts over the past couple of months, I haven't written anything and I am doing so because my wife just got out of surgery......

IT WAS A COMPLETE SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (so far as we can tell as of now)

I didnt realize until right now how scared/nervous/anxious/incapacitated I have become over the past few months with the thought of my wife getting this surgery, but I am so so glad that she did and that it is is over.

Her surgery lasted about 7 hours total and according to the doctor, he was able to get a really great correction. There were not complications and he actually DIDN'T have to fuse down to the sacrum which will be a lot different when it comes to long-term mobility possiblity. While he is a relatively conservative doctor, I do know that if he thought there was a need for it, he would have done it, but he didn't see the need.

In fact, she was supposed to go into ICU for two days, but they decided that she won't even need to go into ICU at all. She will still probably be here for about a week, but this is definitely the perfect time because there are not very many people here this week.

Now my super-model wife can actually audition for America's next top model with the added heighth! :)

Seriously though, she is my biggest hero and I have never met someone more brave than her. When she sat there this morning getting ready to go into surgery, she was such a trooper and I know she could be an amazing example to others who want/need this surgery, but have been too scared to do it.

Thank you for all of your prayers and your encouragement... since all of you have and/or are going through this similiar type of thing, you know just how much this support means to others going through things.

Anyhow, I am sure my wife will be back on here as soon as she can, but most importantly she wanted me to let everyone know that she is safe and it was a good surgery!

Jacque's Mom
12-27-2010, 03:49 PM
This is great news! Please send her my best and that I wish her a speedy recovery.

Thanks for posting.

Lynn

mgs
12-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Excellent news, and thanks for the update.

As you know, this whole experience is no small thing. . .and I think what you wrote speaks volumes about the love you two feel for each other and about the strength of your marriage. You are certainly an impressive younger couple!!!

I'll be checking back for updates. :)

Singer
12-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Thanks for posting -- so glad her surgery was a success. You sound like a great husband!

golfnut
12-27-2010, 08:25 PM
Great news. Thanks for posting.

jeneemohler
12-27-2010, 10:09 PM
That is soooo awesome!!!!! I am so happy for her, and that she is doing so well. I bet it is a relief for you. Thanks for letting us know how she is doing. We really appreciate it. It is so nice to see so many understanding and supportive husbands out there.