PDA

View Full Version : oral surgery next week

kennedy
12-17-2010, 06:00 PM
omg on the 20th i have oral surgery to get my wisdom teeth removed

Pooka1
12-17-2010, 06:07 PM
Both my daughters had wisdom teeth removed.

They were in school the next day.

Good luck.

Elisa
12-17-2010, 06:14 PM
My older boy had his wisdom teeth removed and it wasn't a big deal at all. His cheeks looked puffy for a bit and he was prescribed some T-3's and he was good to go. I hope everything goes as well for you.

Snoopy
12-18-2010, 06:50 AM
Both of my daughters had oral surgery at the age of 14 to remove 8 teeth--their four wisdom teeth and four others and they did just fine. I too had my wisdom teeth removed at the age of 14 and I was eating normal food the next day.

Mary Lou

leahdragonfly
12-18-2010, 11:08 AM
Hi Kennedy,

You made it through scoliosis surgery with flying colors, you are going to do just fine with your wisdom teeth.

Good luck, we're thinking of you here.

kennedy
12-18-2010, 12:27 PM
i got my antibiotics for my oral surgery

loves to skate
12-18-2010, 03:12 PM
Only one suggestion. Take some ice with you to the dentist so you can ice your jaw as soon as the dentist is done. It will prevent a lot of swelling which will cause you extra pain. You will do just fine.
Sally

jrnyc
12-18-2010, 04:04 PM
hi Kara
don't worry...having wisdom teeth out is very, very common...and it goes fine...
my dentist who pulled mine gave me ice...and i didn't swell much at all...
i dont know if you will just have novocaine, or be knocked out...but either way, it is fine...just have someone go with you to drive you home...and follow the dentist's directions afterwards...

best regards...
jess

Mojo's Mom
12-18-2010, 05:03 PM
Kara,

Follow the oral surgeon's after care advice to the letter. Bags of frozen peas or corn work well for right after surgery, and keep biting pressure on the extractions until you see only a little blood or none. For at least three days do not smoke, do not drink anything with a straw, don't do anything that could dislodge the clots that need to form in the extraction wells. Don't swoosh water around in your mouth and keep your toothbrush away from the extractions for a few days. Stick to a soft diet and don't push it with harder foods. If you do everything the way they tell you, you most likely won't have a problem.

I don't want to put negative ideas in your head, but I had all four wisdom teeth out when I was 16 or so, and all four had dry sockets. This is not something you want to experience. Do exactly what they tell you to do and you'll recover as quickly as everyone here has told you you will. But I wanted you to know how important it is to follow the after care instructions.

Pooka1
12-18-2010, 05:15 PM
I don't want to put negative ideas in your head, but I had all four wisdom teeth out when I was 16 or so, and all four had dry sockets. This is not something you want to experience. Do exactly what they tell you to do and you'll recover as quickly as everyone here has told you you will. But I wanted you to know how important it is to follow the after care instructions.

Very good you mentioned that! I was warned about dry sockets but my kids did not get them. I asked several questions about the incidence and I can barely remember now... it is low... less than half the time. For you to get 4 for 4 seems above the average. Yikes.

Kara, nothing though a straw for several days is what I recall I was thinking at the times.

kennedy
12-18-2010, 06:38 PM
i don't drink from a straw anymore

jrnyc
12-18-2010, 11:10 PM
i had one dry socket out of 4 teeth pulled...i was told to use some herbal stuff...soaked gauze in it, and it helped...a week later, i was healing fine in all places.....
i wouldn't worry about it happening...just follow after care instructions and you'll do great...

jess

kennedy
12-19-2010, 11:59 AM
well tommrrow the big day i'm neveous then even more nevous then when i had my spinal fusion for my scoliosis

jrnyc
12-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Kara, it is really nothing to worry about...
and most people get their wisdom teeth pulled...
but most people do not have scoliosis surgery!

you'll be fine!

jess

kennedy
12-19-2010, 12:55 PM
jess i no that most people get there wisdom teeth pulled
and most people don't have scoliosis surgery

Snoopy
12-19-2010, 03:33 PM

Most adults don't drink from a straw, unless at a restaurant, but sometimes they think drinking out of a straw is better after you've had oral surgery. Sharon was just trying to help you prevent problems by reminding you that you shouldn't use a straw.

Mary Lou

Snoopy
12-19-2010, 03:35 PM
jess i no that most people get there wisdom teeth pulled
and most people don't have scoliosis surgery

Another person trying to make you feel better. Their point was that almost everyone has their wisdom teeth out and therefore, it is very common and nothing to worry about. And not many people have Scoli surgery, so if you survived Scoli surgery, then having your wisdom teeth removed will be no big deal and certainly nothing to be so worked up about.

Mary Lou

Pooka1
12-19-2010, 04:17 PM

Okay. I am just saying I still drink through straws and my kids still drink through straws (mainly at restaurants) so I just wanted to warn you about this.

My kids drink through straws enough that it alarmed me when the oral sugeon said to avoid it. I was worried we would forget and she would get a dry socket.

Good luck.

kennedy
12-19-2010, 09:54 PM
marylou i no sharon was trying to help me
ell i just want to say thank you to every one who wishing me good luck tommrrow
i just going to say this once when it comes to dental work i'm such a baby about it LOL

Sherie
12-19-2010, 10:34 PM
marylou i no sharon was trying to help me
ell i just want to say thank you to every one who wishing me good luck tommrrow
i just going to say this once when it comes to dental work i'm such a baby about it LOL

I'm a baby too when it comes to the dentist, I totally understand. But I had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled as an adult and it was not that bad, no worse than getting a filling, at least there's no drilling!

kennedy
12-21-2010, 01:29 AM
well i didn't get on today because i was in so much pain from my oral surgery