Our Scoliosis journey is almost over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Scoliosis journey is almost over

My daughter and I have been infrequent visitors to this forum over the past few years and have taken away lots of valuble advice and info.

We're finally ready to delete our bookmark to this site and let Scoliosis be a thing of the past.

My daughter had surgery last Tuesday with Dr Hey, almost 8 years after her diagnosis. It was incredibly hard as a parent to watch her in pain but wonderful to see how fast she started to bounce back. We went out for lunch today, 8 days post-op, to celebrate the end of our journey. While she still has a ways to go on her recovery, she stopped taking narcotics on Monday and can manage through the day on Aleve and extra strength tylenol. She's anxious to get back to ballet - her passion for the past 9 years - and buying a new wardrobe that doesn't need to be a size to large to fit her brace.

Thanks to all of you that have shared your stories and best wishes to those of you still on your journey.

Lisa

Lisa
    Mom to Haley, 13.5 yrs old
    Diagnosed at 6 yrs old - 18T.
    Boston Brace at 9.5 yrs old - 34T/18L
    Switched to SpineCor at 10 yrs old
    Stable at ~22T OBX until 12.5 yrs old
    Adolescent growth spurt was brutal - scheduled for surgery Dec 7th.

Hi Lisa, congratulations to you and Haley (if you are even reading this). I look forward to the day when my girl can move on from this, and really leave it behind. The very best wishes for your daughter...
    mamandcrm

G diagnosed 6/08 at almost 7 with 25*
    Providence night brace, increased to 35*
    Rigo-Cheneau brace full-time 12/08-4/10
    14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
    11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
    Wearing R-C part-time since 4/10
    latest OOB xray 5/14 13*
    currently going on 13 yrs old

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Comment

Congratulations to your daughter and you!

Long road. Job well done.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Congratulations on getting the surgery behind you (her) ...I'm glad she is recovering so well and wish her a continued quick recovery.

Just curious, many things about your daughter (age of onset, original size of curve, dancer etc) remind me of my daughter. Sounds like going back to ballet won't be a problem? That is my biggest worry related to my daughter...that if she requires fusion surgery she will lose the flexibility she needs for dance (jazz, ballet, tap). It's a relief to me to hear of a girl going back to dance...what levels of her spine were fused if you don't mind me asking?

Happy Shopping!!!

Thanks, Jill
        daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
        -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
        -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
        -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Working...
        X