Finding a surgeon for non-severe scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a surgeon for non-severe scoliosis

Does anyone know a surgeon who can operate on an adult patient who does not have severe scoliosis? On a patient with less then 40 degree scoliosis? I'm 23 with a 23 degree cobb angle.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Kitten17; 12-11-2010, 11:00 AM.

Hi, I haven't been here long but so far I haven't come across anyone who would be considering surgery with such a small curve, but I could be totally wrong. Hopefully others will know more.
    Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
    Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
    Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
    http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Hi...

Unless there is something else wrong, and even if you could find a surgeon to agree to do the surgery, it's unlikely that any insurance company would approve such a surgery.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I don't expect any insurance company to pay for it. What's the price to pay when there's relief in the end?

I really want to undergo surgery. I've wanted to do it for 10 years now but it's really hard to find a surgeon who's willing to take the chance when you only have 23 degrees. I'm not afraid of the post-operation consequences.

Are you saying you shouldn't argue with someone like me or you shouldn't argue with doctors?

Comment

Are you in pain, is that why you want the surgery? There are lots of nonsurgical ways to manage pain, so don't give up hope. Surgery doesn't guarantee a reduction in pain anyway.

Comment

Are you saying you shouldn't argue with someone like me or you shouldn't argue with doctors?
            Kitten17, that quote is not directed to you at all, it is part of Linda's signature which means it appears on all her comments. Not sure if that's what you meant or not but thought I'd mention it anyway just in case you thought it was directed to you.
            Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
            Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
            Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
            http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Originally posted by Kitten17 View Post
              I don't expect any insurance company to pay for it. What's the price to pay when there's relief in the end?

I really want to undergo surgery. I've wanted to do it for 10 years now but it's really hard to find a surgeon who's willing to take the chance when you only have 23 degrees. I'm not afraid of the post-operation consequences.

Kitten17,
              I'm not sure if you have done much research on this type of surgery. It is not something to be taken lightly, it is major surgery with not guaranteed results. There may be unintended consequences resulting from surgery and surgeons take great care to inform their patients of the risks involved. The cost is very prohibitive. Both of my surgeries cost over $300,000 each. There is good reason you are not finding a surgeon to do surgery on a curve such as yours. Try some conservative measures such as physical therapy and pain management.
              May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Thanks Elisa, for answering my question about Linda's quote. =)

I do live in Canada and I heard that if you go through surgery here, it's financed by the government. However, if a surgeon was willing to treat me in the US, I would still be willing to do it there, with or without any financement.

I have read alot about surgery, over the years. And I did do a few years of physical therapy, but that didn't give much results. The pain and discomfort are pratically the same. It's impossible for me to stand straight and the side effects are that I also suffer from kyphosis and lordosis. I'm always struggling just to stand up or to sit down, always feel like I'm falling to pieces. I'm handicapped in most sports and things I wanna do.

There are a few things I would like to discus with a surgeon: Ways to keep the surgery to a minimum and also because of the fact that my Cobb angle is fairly moderate, maybe they wouldn't have to fuse my vertabraes together and maybe they could just insert the Rod.
                Last edited by Kitten17; 12-11-2010, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitten17 View Post
                  Thanks Elisa, for answering my question about Linda's quote. =)

I do live in Canada and I heard that if you go through surgery here, it's financed by the government. However, if a surgeon was willing to treat me in the US, I would still be willing to do it there, with or without any financement.

I have read alot about surgery, over the years. And I did do a few years of physical therapy, but that didn't give much results. The pain and discomfort are pratically the same. It's impossible for me to stand straight and the side effects are that I also suffer from kyphosis and lordosis. I'm always struggling just to stand up or to sit down, always feel like I'm falling to pieces. I'm handicapped in most sports and things I wanna do.

There are a few things I would like to discus with a surgeon: Ways to keep the surgery to a minimum and also because of the fact that my Cobb angle is fairly moderate, maybe they wouldn't have to fuse my vertabraes together and maybe they could just insert the Rod.
                  If you have pain, you almost certainly have something other than scoliosis causing it.

Everyone has lordosis and kyphosis. They're the normal curves in the top and bottom of the spine when viewed from the side. If you have too much or too little, that can be a problem.

I think it's unlikely that you'd find anyone other than a hack to perform scoliosis surgery on you. Hacks are unlikely to know minimally invasive techniques, although that fact probably wouldn't stop them from trying it. If you search hard enough, it wouldn't surprise me if you found someone.

Since money doesn't appear to be an issue, perhaps you could send your xrays to Robert Pashman, who does xray reviews for $125:

http://www.espine.com/second-opinion.htm

--Linda
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                  X