I'm Baaack!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Baaack!

Two years ago on Dec 15 my son had fusion, T2-L1, had all sorts of complications, bleeding, infection. Well, his back started swelling up and we got in to see the surgeon. There is an infection and Jesse needs to have the hardware taken out, then given a pic line for antibiotics.
    I suspect his chronic back pain since surgery has been a result of this infection. This news all transpired in the last 24 hours. Surgery will be Monday morning, 3-4 hours, and approx 4 day stay.

I'm hoping this will help alleviate Jesse's chronic pain.

Bethany

Oh no Bethany! Does this mean he's had an infection in there for the last two years, or it's just happened? Sorry, I'm confused - and need to know!

Good luck to you and your son, I hope all goes smoothly from now on.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Bethany I am very sorry this happened. They will fix this.

Good luck.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Jennifer,
        My son developed an infection after the first surgery. I suspect it never went away. He was treated for it, but it was never followed up on.
        He's in surgery as I type. He's got about another 1 1/2 hours left.

B

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear about this. It's probably one of every surgical patients worst fears. I hope the surgery ended well and the antibiotics will finish clearing out Jesse's infection.

I wish him a very successful recovery and the end of his pain!
          Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
          Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
          Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

We're home! Jesse has a picc line for his iv meds, 2 antibiotics, one 3x/day the other 2x/day until the cultures come back with the exact bacteria. They'll change meds if necessary. Rods and screws are out and we have them as "souvenirs"

I restarted my blog.

http://web.mac.com/bessiebingo/Site_2/Blog/Blog.html

Comment

This has been a scary episode for you both but you sound quite upbeat so I gather Jesse is doing quite well? Thanks for letting us know and I hope you'll post occasionally and update us on Jesse's recovery.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Jesse is doing well. White blood cell count is lower. The visiting nurses are coming today for a blood draw. He may be able to get his picc line out tomorrow. He's now on just one antibiotic because they were able to identify the bacteria. They are now waiting to see what drugs his strain is sensitive to so they can switch him over to oral meds. He has a follow up with the surgeon tomorrow to get staples out.

Some questions I'm going to ask:
                is it probable the infection was cause to the chronic pain?
                Will we be able to know for sure that the infection has cleared?
                What happens to the holes where the screws were?
                What caused the oxidation on the rods and screws?
                What are his limitations and for how long?

Anything I've forgotten??

Bethany
                Last edited by babachi; 12-27-2010, 10:33 AM. Reason: eta

Comment

I hardly ever visit this section of the forum, but today I thought I'd see what some of these areas are like.

Your son's story. . .gheesh! It amazes me what hell teenagers can go through, with scoliosis (my scoliosis didn't start to have any real effect on my life until my 40s) and how they deal with it all with such strength and valor. I'm not so sure I could have, or would have, when I was a teenager. Further, I can say the same about the parents who face all of this with their children. I am blessed that none of my 5 has scoliosis. I don't know how you do it, Bethany, or any of you other parents. It is sooo infinitely easier to have it be only ME who goes through this experience, and not my kids.

Great blog. . .and, btw, you have a handsome son. Here's hoping that 2011 brings a new pain-free era for him, and peace for all.
                  Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
                  Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
                  Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Working...
                  X