Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massage

Hi Everyone!

I'm doing well at over 10 weeks post op!

I'm starting to dream about my next deep tissue massage and wondering if anyone knows when massages are ok?? I am seeing my surgeon in 3 weeks but figured I would ask all of you in the meantime .

Jamie, I wasn't able to lay on my stomach after 10 weeks post op. I still have problems laying on my stomach. My rods don't want to bend in that direction. Maybe your back doesn't have that problem.

rich

Comment

I can lay on my stomach, but it's not very comfortable. (It used to be my favorite sleeping position prior to surgery.) The other thing is, I am very leary on having anyone touch my back. I know that massage therapists are trained, but they don't know the hardware in my back! What it they push on something that they sholdn't! The only person I let do some massage on my back was my physical therapist.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

JamieAnn
        It would be interesting to see how many posties get massages after their surgeries. I used to have massages quite a bit before, but after my surgeries, they just don’t feel all that great anymore. Maybe it’s the pressure over the rods, or scar tissue.

And yes, the stomach position is not the most comfortable position after fusion. I think it has to do with the neck. On a bed, you have to twist your neck 90 degrees while laying on your stomach, other sleeping postitons do not require the extreme “neck twist”.

Good to hear that you are doing well at 10 weeks.
        Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

My son likes to go to the chiro on Mondays after school as he says it feels good. The chiro said that even when/if he gets surgery that he can still come for treatments on the un-fused parts of the spine but I would be really worried that the chiro might unintentionally move things around and make things worse. Do any of you who had spine surgery ever go for chiro treatments? Just wondering.
          Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
          Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
          Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
          http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

I still go to the chiro but I didn't until I was about 14 months post-op. I was having some major leg issues and that helped. He only uses the hand-held device (not activator--but similar) and it has helped me a lot. My hips feel "freer" and move easier. I would guess it's not something you would consider until after fusing. Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

hi JamieAnn,
              I started getting massages again after my 12 week post op appt. I really depended on massage before surgery to prepare my muscles for the way they would be repositioned after surgery, and I missed it a lot. So I started back w/ just lying on my back, having the therapist do my neck and upper shoulders from underneath, as well as legs, arms - everything is trying to adjust. In the last 2 weeks (now I am 15 weeks out) I've started lying on my stomach for a limited time and she is massaging the muscles on the sides of my spine, w/out touching the vertebrae, and being super super gentle and careful. I think the most important thing is that my massage therapist has had another client who had the same surgery, and she is very informed and mindful of what I have. Also, my massage therapist and PT communicate w/ each other through me which is kind of cool. I wouldn't get massages unless I was totally confident that she wouldn't do anything to mess me up!
              Age 58
              Surgery w/ Dr Lenke August 23, 2010
              original curves 91 thoracic, 86 lumbar
              fused T1 to sacrum, new curves 50 and 45

Comment

Thank you everyone! I didn't really think about lying on my stomach for that long, that makes sense. I can do it though - but maybe would have to keep it to a 30 min maximum. I am more concerned about damaging the un-fused bone graft.. not sure if you can move it around? I can't imagine the hardware can get damaged by a massage. But anyway I will hold off regardless until I see the doc. And like some of you said, I will avoid that fusion area regardless. I would love to start working the muscles back into place in my lumbar area, which is not fused.

Thanks again!

Comment

Hi JA: I got clearance from my surgeon first (3.5 months post op) before getting massages. Have had one and going for a second one this week. I just make sure they do it gently, and know that I have my condition. Good luck.
                  XLIF 7 discs replaced L5-T10 lateral PEEK implants, pedicle/facet screws, rib resection
                  Pre-surgical: 40 d lumbar-thoracic, sponylolisthesis, kyphosis, all discs ruptured, stenosis
                  Post-surgical:12 d, 1" taller
                  Surgery: 8/27/2010 Dr. W Smith, Las Vegas University Medical Center
                  53 yrs old

Comment

Working...
                  X