Back to Work!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to Work!

I started back to work this week after almost 9 months off after my revision surgery...This is a new job for me working as a nurse in a very busy doctors office and I was a little worried how my back was going to hold up (and my energy level!) during a full day at work after all that time off. Well, I am so pleased to report that I can work an entire full day and not even think of my back at all!!!!! As a matter of fact, the only time I have felt any twinges of discomfort are when I walk out into the bitterly cold weather and my back muscles tighten up around my rods. Yippee!
    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

congratulations, Kristy...it's been a long time for you!! you deserve a life free of pain...and the ability to finally forget about your spine!
    enjoy!

jess

Comment

That's great news, Kristy! So glad to hear it!!!

Evelyn
      age 48
      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

I think it's great that you are getting back to work. I know for me, my job means a lot to me and keeps me (somewhat) sane.
        Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
        Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
        Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
        http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Congratulations Kristy. This is what we all hope for. Enjoy your new life!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Congratulations Kristy!

I agree with you on the cold. If I get so cold that I shiver, then I get horrible back spasms the next day. To combat this, last winter I bought the heaviest coat I could find from Land's End (a long one down to my knees). If I can make sure that I don't shiver, the I don't get that HORRIBLE pain!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Congratulations! I'm glad you are doing well!
              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
              Rib Hump-GONE!
              Age-60 at the time of surgery
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Whoo hoo, Kristy! Great news!!!
                71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Great news! I am also a nurse ans was wondering if I'll ever go back,really miss it. You just gave me a pick up...Thanks
                  Donna
                  51 yo
                  dx 13 never braced
                  DJD and osteoporosis ,Fx ribs 10/09(from osteo) downhill since,vertebral slippage w/ nerve damage and rotation
                  Surgery 08/09/10 T1-S1 decomp,fusion w/ instrumentaion
                  Sacral/pelvic fixation + 4 osteotomies and dura repair
                  C 20 degrees to 4 degrees
                  T 57 degrees to 15 degrees
                  L 38 degrees to 5 degrees

Comment

Kristy- that's great! What kind of docs are you working for? I was telling Evelyn we need to get a hold of you for lunch again. We can always meet near your office when you think the time is right!
                    Age 56
                    Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
                    Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
                    Thoracic 68
                    Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
                    Dr Bridwell St Louis
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

a lot of nurses here

Hi Kristy,

That is great news and I'm glad to hear you are doing so well.

I start back to work next week, which will be 14 weeks post-op for me. I am a nurse also. I've had an extreme amount of aggravation this week battling with my evil HR department who is threatening to terminate me because they don't want to set any precedent by allowing me back with "such long restrictions."--that's 10 weeks worth of restrictions. Fortunately my department wants me back, doesn't mind at all about the restrictions, and will protect me as long as needed. Sorry to rant!

Good luck, Kristy, you are definitely an inspiration to all who have complicated surgeries or are facing revisions.

Gayle
                      Gayle, age 50
                      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Thanks all!

Hmmm....I sure have noticed the high incidence of scoliosis among nurses on this forum. What's with that?
                        To update...I have been working full time now for a month and a half, on my feet and walking constantly. My back does not bother me in the least. I continue to improve...now if only people would know not to slap me on the back, that still hurts!
                        May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Funny you should mention about being slapped on the back--I went to visit my work friends a few weeks ago, and I got numerous slaps on the back (which is still somewhat tender). Then they all say OMG I am so sorry, I don't know why I slapped your back! Duh.
                          Gayle, age 50
                          Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                          Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                          Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                          2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                          2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Working...
                          X