This One's For Mom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This One's For Mom

I will be flying from Colorado to Boston this Tuesday the 7th to take my mother to her cervical surgery, scheduled for Fri, the 10th. My mom is 81, in good health and very active prior to this last year.

She will be having A/P neck surgery with Dr Rand and Dr Simon at New England Baptist Hospital. In Nov of 09, she had hip replacement at same hospital, and I came back for that so I know how terrific the hospital is, as well as every medical person I encountered back then. The surgery is scheduled for 9-14 hours- yes, you heard right- and she doesn't know what levels are being fused, nor any of the other details. We went to a "fusion class" back in October and commonly, cervical fusion takes a couple hours and a day or two in the hospital. She'll be in intensive care for about a week, so this is more extensive. I've resisted calling the doctors for more details, as she has been doing all the homework herself and is totally capable of making good decisions, her surgeons are top-of-the-heap, and she feels that at 81 and not being able to do a thing except sit around with a cervical collar on, what's to lose?

I'll be staying in a guest house next to the hospital, same place as last year, and will only stay in the room with her at night if it seems warranted. She wouldn't want me to, more for my sake than hers, and would not want to "put them out" rolling in cots or whatever. I'm wondering about this, and although only a cellphone call away and right next door , wondering about how to be a good caretaker/advocate. I'm feeling well and energetic but have had some hip hip/back pain that I'm coming out of as well as the usual garden variety neck, shoulder, arm stuff. Nothing to sideline me.

One thing that is so great is that I advised her to look up Dr Rand as a possibility, she got in promptly on a cancellation, and she's going with him and Dr Simon. Previously she was going to have it done locally in NHampshire, so thanks to the forum for this knowledge!

I'm looking to my homies for advice, support, Prayers, scientific input, good wishes, or happy sailing. I'll have two other sisters there in varying stages of taking over the reins, so look out Boston. The party's in Mom's room. (need winking, smiling, or horrified emoticon here- mine are still disabled. Is it just me?)

More than a little frightened,
    Amy

I'll also look in on Irene if she is receiving visitors...
    Amy
    58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
    Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
    Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
    2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
    Exercising to correct

amy good luck to your mom
    Kara
    Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
    Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
    T4-L2
    Before 50T
    After 20T

Comment

Amy
      No horrified emotion, but how about a wink and a smile. She will be fine....

Some like that army of support at the hospital. I did not. I told everyone to leave me be, no sense coming down while I’m bombed....People didn’t listen and came down anyway, and I heard about it later. The lights were on but nobody was home.... Remember this when communicating with her for the first few days. She wont remember too much. Anesthesia does this.

Its good that you are next door...You don’t want to be there all the time, but there when she needs you to be there....

Btw, happy b-day.
      Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ah, Amy! Your mom sounds like a very cool lady. I know where you got it. All will be fine. Attitude is everything. Enjoy spending time with her and family. We will all be thinking about you, and waiting to hear from you. Isn't technology great when used for good reasons? It is so nice to know everyone is only a note away....
        Jenee'-52
        Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
        Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
        I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
        9 hours
        T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
        Non-fusion
        Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

It's not my mother going through this so I can say how marvellous it is to be able to have such a surgery at age 81. I think your mother is fabulous, wise and brave. You too! Sending you my best wishes for a smooth ride for you both. I know you're going to have your mind elsewhere, but I look forward to that first post to hear your Mom's doing just fine!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Wow, that's amazing your mom is up for this! Keeping active has made her a great candidate. Personally, I wanted my husband there--and really no one else. Let your mom be your guide. With all those meds she will probably be pretty truthful about wanting you there or not! Prayers & positive thoughts coming to you and your mom. Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Prayers for both you and your Mom
              Will be waiting to hear that your Mom is ok
              Melissa

Comment

hey Amy
                your mother will be in my thoughts and prayers until the surgery is over, and through her recovery...which i know will be uneventful and smooth...

take care of yourself while in Boston...so you can help take care of her!
                and bring some warm clothes...it is really cold here in the northeast...but it is probably cold in Colorado, too...

best regards...
                jess

Comment

Thank you so much, everyone!

I'm always amazed how much instant ease I experience when you all send out your good will! I've been moving through life these last few days with the increasing sentiment of, "OMG, I've got to stop her!!" when I know deeply that I can't and shouldn't. Anxiety makes you wiggy. (New bumper sticker)

I am bringing my laptop and will post as soon as I can.

Thanks, Ed, for the birthday wishes, but our birthday is not for several more days!!

And, Happy Birthday, J' !!!

Bless you all...
                  Amy
                  Exercising to correct

Comment

Hi Amy,
                    I would like to add my name to all the wonderful well wishers on this forum. I also didn't want or need much company while in the hospital and because of two nasty snow and ice storms in December, even my hubby couldn't make it in a couple of days. It is good though that you will be close by and available to your Mom if needed. Will be praying for your Mom and for Irene (backissues).
                    Sally
                    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hi, Amy!
                      Good for your mom! I know she made the best choice for her. And it sounds like there will be an army of excellent caregivers there for her too, so don't worry about being next door - only a couple of minutes away if she needs you at any time. My prayers are with her, and with you as well.
                      Juliet, age 57
                      37˚ lumbar and 35˚ thoracic with rotation
                      Diagnosed at age 11 and untreated.
                      Total degeneration of disc at L4-5, spondylolisthesis at L4, L5 sacralized.
                      Surgery on 10/26/10
                      Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine & Scoliosis, Center, Austin, TX.
                      University Medical Center @ Brackenridge Hospital.
                      Posterior fusion of T11-S1, part minimally invasive; TLIF at L4-5.

Comment

Your mom is blessed already by having such a caring and knowledgeable daughter! Best wishes that everything goes smoothly.

Evelyn
                        age 48
                        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Hi Amy-

Just want you to know that I'm thinking about you and your mom tonight. It will all be ok, and she will be fine. She is in good hands, both yours and the surgeons. Love and hugs!!!
                          Jenee'-52
                          Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
                          Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
                          I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
                          9 hours
                          T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                          Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
                          Non-fusion
                          Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

Mom on the Good Side

Everyone,

Thank you some more!

Mom is in the recovery room and will be headed up to ICU very soon. Long day, but successful with nothing unexpected. She had an anterior discectomy (sp?) and then a posterior fusion from C-3 to T-1. We go for the "Frankie" look in my family. She also had a decompression...somewhere. All good.

Cold here in Boston, whew! Makes Colorado seem balmy. (It's a dry cold in CO).

One more thing on his birthday eve,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TITANIUM ED!!! Hope you have a great day and loads of skiing fun, no jumps, no somersaults....

Ed, many thanks for the great advice and positive thoughts,help and info you bestow.

And thanks again, forum friends. I feel like Ebenezer Scrooge on Xmas eve. (smiley face).

Amy
                            Amy
                            Exercising to correct

Comment

So glad everything went well with your mom, that's gotta be a big relief.
                              Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                              Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                              Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                              http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Working...
                              X