No announcement yet.

8 months post op and wanted to say hi!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 months post op and wanted to say hi!

Hi to all that helped me through the toughest decision of my life. And hi to all that are facing that decision for themselves now. I am glad I did it, I don't regret it, but I do feel the rods or a burning sensation everyday. I hope I still have healing to do and it will improve. That said, I am further along than I expected to be physically at this time. I am back to yoga (which involves some pushup type moves) about 3 times a week. I would like to get an xray to see how things are progressing but my dr is out of state and I can't fly there for just an xray. I am wondering if I could get one done here then have it sent to him. Anyway, wanted to check in. I have photos in my signature line and if anyone has any questions I would be happy to help you the way so many on here have helped me. Thank you all!!!
    Laura
    62 degrees
    49 yrs. young
    Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Hi Laura - Great to hear you're still doing so well! I'm now a little over 3 months post op and doing great, too. I feel like normal, except for the weight lifting, bending and twisting restrictions. Thanks for your tips and support before surgery. Had my 2 month post op and he gave me a pass on the 4 month since I was doing so well and go back the end of Feb for my 6 month. Hope your burning sensations go away!
    Age 56
    Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
    Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
    Thoracic 68
    Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
    Dr Bridwell St Louis
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

hi laura your back looks great in the after x-ray
      Kara
      Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
      Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
      T4-L2
      Before 50T
      After 20T

Comment

Laura,
        Your pictures look fantastic. I hope your burning sensation goes away. I am sure it will. It sounds like you are doing really well for being 6 months post op.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

At your point in my recovery, I definitely still felt the rods. If I moved in a certain way, if I coughed or sneezed, or banged into something while walking, I felt pain in my spine. I think that's because the bones were still mending. Now, after 2 years, for me, it's like they aren't even there. I amaze myself that I feel so good. Good for you that you're doing yoga again!

Give it time and you won't believe the improvement.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Glad to hear that you are doing so well. I am one month further out than you and are no where near you.

Melissa

Comment

Laura - my surgery was about 2 weeks after yours, 4/15/10. It was good to hear you still feel rods, etc. I am wondering about your muscles. My muscles are still very, how would I describe, maybe a solid/stiff feeling. Some days more so than others. How are your muscles and nerves healing? I still have a lot of nerve healing tingling and alot of numbness in my back. I try to workout everyday to strengthen muscles. Still very sore when I sneeze or cough. If I lay on the couch very stiff log rolling up. However, I have a very good quality of life and do most activity, just adjust as needed. I just got shingles in my back, about 10 days ago, so surgeon put me back off work for a month to rest and heal more.
              Debbie it was good to hear what 2 years out looks like. I, like you Laura, sure hope I have a lot more healing to happen. My Drs. all say I look all healed, but inside has a ways to go yet. That's what is hard, I look like I should feel 100%.
              Still very glad I did the surgery. (sorry got kind of rambling there)
              Glad to hear you are healing well, enjoy the holidays.
              Shari - 55 years old
              Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
              Post op 13 degree curve.
              Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
              2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
              Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
              www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

Laura

Why don’t you e-mail Dr Lenke and ask him about doing the x-rays locally? You could e-mail or burn to disc and mail. Maybe he has radiographic instructions he likes to use....???

Hang in there... it gets much much better. I would like to say I stopped improving after 2 years, but I might change my mind and extend that time due to the improvements I’ve had in my skiing.... I’ve been pushing hard lately.

Thx for posting
                Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

perfect result

i'm only 2 months out and don't feel the rods but i'm also not doing any exercise whatsoever; your xrays posted look perfect, don't think it can get any straighter than that!
                  junosand
                  59 yo recently retired otolaryngologist (ENT surgeon)
                  schedule oct 2010 for T11 - sacrum fusion, all posterior approach with pedicle screws, steels rods, revision decompression left L3-4, right L4-5 & L5-S1, transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion L3-4 L4-5 L5-S1
                  with titanium cages
                  Dr Lenke, WashU/Barnes/Jewish St. Louis

Comment

Good to hear things are going well for you. Hope the stinging will go away soon. I would guess it will fade with time. I still have some numbness in my back. I don't have pain, but I do still experience some discomfort with the hardware. I'm hoping that will continue to get less and less.

I still haven't forgotten being terrified of having the surgery either. It was encouragement from family, friends, and folks on this forum that kept me focused on the other side. I too am so glad I had the surgery.
                    Glenda
                    Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
                    Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
                    Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
                    A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
                    Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
                    Pleased with outcome

Comment

Hi Laura, I haven't been around the forum recently but we had surgery around the same time and talked months back. Glad to hear your doing so well!! I'm very happy with where I'm at also, it is so nice to be on the other side.

Take care,

Nitram
                      Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
                      A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
                      Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
                      Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Comment

Working...
                      X