Stress level during recovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stress level during recovery

Have any of you had trouble dealing with stress during the post-op recovery period, even minor stress?
    I found myself crying my eyes out this afternoon after I discovered that my son is having trouble in science class at school. It may have started when I was in the hospital, unable to help him. The thought that I'd have to crack down on him just broke my heart. Then later on this evening I collapsed into uncontrollable sobbing when I thought I'd run out of yogurt. What a catastrophe! (Turns out there was still some 'way in the back where I couldn't bend over and see it.)

Now that I'm more or less sane again at 1:00 a.m. (?), I realize this may have been due to stress, fatigue, and/or that awful feeling of being helpless. This sort of weeping fit isn't at ALL like me, and things have been going well with my recovery. Any thoughts? (Besides the obvious one that I should be asleep by now!)
    Juliet, age 57
    37˚ lumbar and 35˚ thoracic with rotation
    Diagnosed at age 11 and untreated.
    Total degeneration of disc at L4-5, spondylolisthesis at L4, L5 sacralized.
    Surgery on 10/26/10
    Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine & Scoliosis, Center, Austin, TX.
    University Medical Center @ Brackenridge Hospital.
    Posterior fusion of T11-S1, part minimally invasive; TLIF at L4-5.

Awh Honey. Are you still on meds? Have you recently stopped meds? When I was cutting back, after a certain point, when WITHDRAWL kicked in, I was very emotional. I was able to get through the withdrawl symptoms in about a week or so.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hang in there, it's all normal as far as I'm concerned. The trauma of this huge surgery, lingering effects of anesthesia (takes a long time to get it all out of your system), frustration at not being "normal," and the effects of meds all contribute to making most people basket cases -- at least to some degree -- for a while. I felt pretty nutsy for the first few months, and not really emotionally balanced until over a year post-op. Be gentle with yourself and try to find things to do that make you happy. It will get better!!
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Thanks Debbe - my little kid inside needed that hug! ! I'm still on 10mg of Percoset every 5 hours - dangit - which is frustrating too since it gives me headaches and my back doesn't want me to reduce from there yet, but no withdrawal at this point. I hope I can taper off and avoid that problem, boo hoo hoo!

Chris - I'm relieved once again ... thank goodness I'm probably within normal limits with this road bump. And that my family is so understanding. Maybe I need one of those big ol' "DON'T PANIC" buttons!
        Juliet, age 57
        Surgery on 10/26/10

Comment

Hi Juliet,

I could have written your post myself! I have been so emotional post surgery and I don't know why. I'm not on meds so can't blame that. I am stressed because I can't do a whole lot and my energy level is low. I cry over commercials. I cried when my husband had to return to the office. I am stressed because I feel people think I should be doing more but I can't! I'm not a lazy person and I feel people are judging me...or maybe its my emotional imagination!

I think in time Juliet we will start to feel better. Thank goodness for this forum.
          Laurie
          Age 57
          Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
          Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
          Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
          Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
          Dr Munish Gupta
          UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Comment

Juliet, you sound just like me and I haven't had surgery nor do I need it but the thought of my son having surgery and then recovering turns me into a bawl baby and I cry at the drop of a hat. I called my husband from work the other day to ask him if he could get a start on my soup broth b/c I needed to pick up a few more ingredients and he said he couldn't right then b/c he had just come home from work and he was really dirty and wanted to shower and I was so mad and hung up on him and then had a complete meltdown at the front desk (hotel) in front of my boss and her daughter. It really wasn't about the soup, it's just that I'm so damn stressed all the time.

Glad you got your yogurt.
            Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
            Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
            Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
            http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

hey Juliet
              you need to give yourself a break! of course you're an emotonal wreck...most any major surgery can do that to a person!!
              then add in the fusion, with new ways you must learn to do things...well, of course you are a mess! to be expected!

you don't have to crack down on anybody! as someone who spent decades in schools, as a teacher and in other positions, i can tell you that if you get him a little academic support, he will probably do better in no time...sometimes a little extra help goes a really long way!!

feel better soon!
              jess

Comment

Laurie - You read my mind ... and so did my ex (who is taking care of me - a whole other story). He actually told me that no one thinks I'm slacking or not carrying my weight, that they all understand that I'm in no condition to do much of anything, and need time to heal, etc etc. He said it scared him to see me so depressed, and I ended up reassuring HIM. And as far as crying all the time .. I even woke up crying the other day, didn't know why, and yet proceeded to keep crying after I realized I was awake. What was up with THAT?

And you're right ... Bless every one of my friends here on the forum - I don't know what I'd do without you all!

Elisa - OH MY, I can't imagine what it must be like, anticipating having your son go through this! No matter how beneficial it will be, it's got to be so stressful for you. My husband is the same way about getting cleaned up and relaxing after work -- HOW DARE HE? (Just kidding!) It's not the soup, and it's not the yogurt. It's everything rolled up into one = KABOOM. I'll hang in there if you will!

Jess - thank you for giving me permission to be an emotional wreck! I find it hard to allow myself to be, so being reminded that it's expected helps. And thanks SO much for the teacherly advice ... my son is scary-intelligent, and now that he's in 8th grade, he and I are just beginning to realize that his brains don't work the same way in all subjects. I guess maybe I need to, not "crack down," but help him structure to his evening so he gets things done without being overwhelmed. He also procrastinates, so I have to keep him on task, as they say. Maybe bribe him with cookies and PS3!
                Juliet, age 57
                Surgery on 10/26/10

Comment

Juliet, just think of how much help you will be able to give to those of us nearing our surgeries with our post-op craziness, with your voice of wisdom. I know you will be able to assure us that what we are feeling is normal, because you will be feeling so much better yourself by then!!! Hang in there, dear. And yes, I am also SO thankful for all of you!!
                  Jenee'-52
                  Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
                  Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
                  I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
                  9 hours
                  T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                  Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
                  Non-fusion
                  Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

Don't worry. You are going thru' the normal process with the meds and post op recovery. I, too, cried constantly. My nurse friend, who accompanied me to many doctor visits, and ER trips, said alot of it is due to the meds. So, along with meds, constipation goodies, I started taking St John's Wort. Although it doesn't kick in for a few weeks (I think) it does help. She said 2 a day. Can't hurt right? Good luck.
                    XLIF 7 discs replaced L5-T10 lateral PEEK implants, pedicle/facet screws, rib resection
                    Pre-surgical: 40 d lumbar-thoracic, sponylolisthesis, kyphosis, all discs ruptured, stenosis
                    Post-surgical:12 d, 1" taller
                    Surgery: 8/27/2010 Dr. W Smith, Las Vegas University Medical Center
                    53 yrs old

Comment

Working...
                    X