1 yr post, second day at gym

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 yr post, second day at gym

I had my surgery on December 9th of 2009, so I am almost one year post op. Today was the second day at the gym. I did the elliptical for 45 minutes and some light weights. has anybody ever tried running. I had T10 to L5 fused and rods. I am 38 years old and was very active before. I have not tried to run or even jog since my surgery. I have been scared to try.

thanks,
    rich

Hi Rich --
    Your best bet is to start out asking your surgeon if you can get back into running, given your level of fusion and how much you have healed since it's been a year. Everyone's situation is different, and since you still have flexibility in the lumbar area, it might be possible.

My doctor told me I have to give up running, but I was fused from T11 to the sacrum since I also had a totally degenerated disc and spondylolisthesis at L4-5. He said the impact factor of running would be too great for me, but that I can walk...not something I wanted to hear, since I'd been running since 1983. But I can live with it. I'm post-op five weeks tomorrow, and walking almost 2 miles a day.

Good luck getting to run again!
    Juliet, age 57
    37˚ lumbar and 35˚ thoracic with rotation
    Diagnosed at age 11 and untreated.
    Total degeneration of disc at L4-5, spondylolisthesis at L4, L5 sacralized.
    Surgery on 10/26/10
    Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine & Scoliosis, Center, Austin, TX.
    University Medical Center @ Brackenridge Hospital.
    Posterior fusion of T11-S1, part minimally invasive; TLIF at L4-5.

Comment

Rich

Congratulations on 1 year.

Running is something I can do, even though it isn’t the most pleasant feeling.....I guess you could say that I have to put a tad more effort into it.

How is the bottom holding up?
      Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I'm another whose surgeon advised me not to run, to save those unfused vertebra above the fusion. I'm happy to give this up, though I do find myself running to the grandkids occasionally, so I know I can still do it.

To keep fit, try power walking, it's great. I also kayak and use an eliptical.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi rich! I am almost one year post op (surgery was 1/13/10) I was fused the exact same levels as you were and I am 38. I was also very active prior to surgery. My surgeon dr. Boachie advised me not to run because it would put too much pressure on the only disc I have left between my lumbar and sacrum. I need to preserve it for as long as I can. Instead of running I get an amazing low impact high cardio workout with indoor cycling classes. I also use the elliptical and do power walking outside. Strength training is also important. It builds muscle and keeps your bones strong! Best of luck to you and congrats on your remarkable recovery! One Year!!!! YAY!!!!! : )

Comment

I'm having the same surgery on Dec. 21 with Dr. Lonner in NYC

Hi Rich,

I am having T 10 - L5 fused on Dec. 21. I am really curious how you felt afterwards. I am 41 years old and very active. I competed in my first triathlon this summer and really hope it will not be my last. I work out 6 days a week and enjoy running. Did you not go back to the gym for a year because of Dr's orders or you just were not physically up to it? How are feeling now back at the gym?

Katie

Comment

Katie,
              I did a month of physical therapy about 5 months post op, but did very light weights and a lot of core training. I was very active before surgery. I went to the gym 7 days a week, sometimes twice a day. I have not tried running, I am scared to run because of the last disc. I can run, but I'm waiting to build up my core muscles before I try. I want to compete in half marathon next year, that is my goal. I feel good now! I am doing an hour elliptical and a three mile walk. I also do light weights, but can't weight to hit it hard. Good luck on your surgery, katie!

rich

Comment

I am so glad to hear!

Hi Rich,

I am so happy for you and glad to hear you are feeling well. The 1/2 marathon is great goal. It is making me crazy going to the gym and working out these last couple of weeks and knowing i will not be able to do it for so long. I am just looking forward to a praying for the day I will up to it again.

Katie

Comment

Katie,

good luck on your surgery! Tomorrow is my anniversary and can't believe that it has been a year. I remember after surgery, learning how to walk at the hospital. I also had some complications in the hospital, which landed me in ICU. I waited a full year to workout, in order for my rods and screws to fully stabilize. I'm glad I did. Let me know if you have any questions about the surgery.
                  rich

Comment

Rich,

OMG I have soo many questions. What is it really like after surgery? How is the pain does the pain pump really work to control the pain. How long after surgery before you got up to walk? How was it. How were you when you got home? How long before you were feeling ok? I mean before you started to feel better/normal. Tell me anything and everything that sticks out in your mind. Do you feel the hardware now? What can't you do now that you used to be able to do? So okay maybe send me private message, not sure how to do that but guess I will figure it out.

Thx,
                    Katie

Comment

Working...
                    X