View Full Version : RMT and MD recommendatoins in Ottawa, ON?

11-29-2010, 10:13 AM
My wife (age 34) has scoliosis and has suggested that she would love a gift certificate for a massage as a Christmas present. I'm looking for any recommendations for a Registered Massage Therapist in town. I tried doing a online search, but it seems that almost every RMT claims to specialize in scoliosis as well as a dozen other things. Has anyone used a RMT in the Ottawa area they liked?

On a related tangent, can anyone recommend a orthopedic specialist in the Ottawa? My wife's GP has little to no experience with patients with scoliosis and has no real interest in taking time to research it. Previous experience on other issues suggests that the GP will give a generic referral, but it is usually up to us to find the specialist.

11-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Hello fellow Canuck! I'm on the far west coast here so I can't help you with recommendations but perhaps other can. I just wanted to say that being that you are in southern Ontario which is very densely populated you should have much better luck finding a scoliosis specialist out there than we have out here. Yes, GP's are way out their league when in comes to scoliosis and will definitely refer you on to someone who specializes in this disease. Best to both you and your wife. Massages are great. I want one too. :)

11-29-2010, 10:48 PM
As far as I know, the only scoliosis specialist practicing in Ottawa is James G. Jarvis.

12-01-2010, 01:52 PM
As far as I know, the only scoliosis specialist practicing in Ottawa is James G. Jarvis.

Unfortunately Dr. Jarvis is at the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) which only works with patients under the age of 18.

Failing there being an adult specialist, I would happily take any recommendations for a massage therapist.

12-10-2010, 03:38 PM
There is an ortho in Ottawa, his name is Dr. Wei at the Civic hospital I believe. I've seen him a few times and I didn't really enjoy my interactions with him. I found him to be very uninformative with regards to my condition, even when asked about my CT scan he didn't tell me anything really. He wrote out a script for physio and said he wouldn't prescribe me anything to help manage pain unless he had done a surgery on me. He may be a good doctor.....I don't know; I know he wasn't too personable and to me that's a big thing. Good luck to you and your wife.

12-11-2010, 01:40 PM
If your willing/able to go to Toronto try Dr Lewis. I believe he is at Toronto Western. He does kids and adults and will be my sons next doctor as he is now 18. I can't give my opinion as I have not yet met him.