Good luck, Pilar, Haley, Irene, Lynn, LaurieAnn, & LaShawn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good luck, Pilar, Haley, Irene, Lynn, LaurieAnn, & LaShawn

Best of luck to the following people with December surgeries. We'll be anxious to hear from you when you are "on the other side." I hope I didn't forget anyone!

Dec. 6 & 10-Pilar-age 32-Ant. & Posterior-Dr. Pashman

Dec. 7-Haley-HaleyMom-Dr. Hey-Raleigh-T3-L1

Dec. 7-Irene-Backissues-age 65-Dr. Rand-Boston-T8-Pelvis

Dec. 7-Lynn-Jacque's Mom-age 56-Dr. Baochie-NY L3-sacrum-revision

Dec. 13-Laurie-LaurieAnne-Dr. Lenke-St. Louis-T68 L-80

Dec. 21-Fused Spine-LaShawn Hardy-age 34-Dr. Herkowitz
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

good luck all of you with your surgeries coming up
    Kara
    Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
    Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
    T4-L2
    Before 50T
    After 20T

Comment

Thank you! ahhh!!
      I have my pre-op exams tomorrow with an internist.
      It's getting closer...
      Scoliosis Diagnosed at age 12. Wore Milwaukee brace for 2 years.
      Now age 32
      Pre-op curves: C86-T98-L37
      Surgery date: 12/6/2010 (anterior) 12/10/2010 (posterior)
      Fused T2 to L5 with thoracoplasty.
      Post-op curves: C48-T47-L17
      Dr. Robert Pashman
      Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles, CA
      Before and after xrays :
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...5&d=1292969215

Comment

Wow, a big month coming up for the forum. All the best to you all, hope every one of you has a smooth road to recovery.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Best wishes to all of you!
          Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
          Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
          Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
          http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

best to all of you!
            62/75 (T4-T9 68 degree & T11 - L4 80 degree) 10/19/2010
            45/50 year 2000
            36 yrs old
            Considering, researching surgery for the first time
            S. California
            http://s1210.photobucket.com/albums/...ashionista889/

Comment

Wow, December is a big month for the forum!

I know how you all are feeling ...take deep breaths, think good thoughts.
              I was anxious for the week before, and then the day or two before I started feeling relieved. The day of (when I thought I'd be panicking) I was totally calm and prepared.

Best wishes to all of you!
              Juliet, age 57
              37˚ lumbar and 35˚ thoracic with rotation
              Diagnosed at age 11 and untreated.
              Total degeneration of disc at L4-5, spondylolisthesis at L4, L5 sacralized.
              Surgery on 10/26/10
              Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine & Scoliosis, Center, Austin, TX.
              University Medical Center @ Brackenridge Hospital.
              Posterior fusion of T11-S1, part minimally invasive; TLIF at L4-5.

Comment

Sending positive thoughts to each of you for successful surgeries and wonderful recoveries!
                Chris, Austin, TX
                80 degree thoracic/36 degree lumbar curves
                Surgery 8/2/10, Anterior Cervical Decompression/Fusion
                C4/5, C5/6, C6/7
                New Surgery date 10/25/2010, T-2 to Pelvis, posterior
                Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine and Scoliosis Center

Comment

Getting things in order...

I've been nesting for the past two weeks making sure things are in place. My daughter has been a huge help. It's a week from tomorrow, and I'm trying to pretent it's not happening. My last day in the office is 12/1; surgery is 12/7. Going to the spa with my daughter, sisters and cousins on Saturday (only a mani and pedi for me with clear nail polish) and then to lunch. Anything to keep my mind busy. Jacqueline (daughter) is going to post as Bill (husband) is not great with the computer. She just passed her boards and is now a Licensed Occupational Therapist - just in time to help her mom! She starts working at Kessler Rehab mid-December so she'll be home full time for a while with me. Thanks everyone for your good wishes. All the best to everyone. LYNN
                  1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                  2000 Partial Rod Removal
                  2001 Right Scapular Resection
                  12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                  06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

New and Having Surgery with lots of questions

Good luck to everyone having surgery in December. I also am having surgery on December 21 with Dr. Lonner in NYC. I am 41 with 3 boys, 2yrs, 4yrs, and 6 yrs, and am very nervous how we are all going to get through this. I have an s curver 63L and 42 T. I am not in debilitating pain now but it is getting progressively worse, also the appearance of my curve has dramaticially gotten worse and I have shrunk an inch and a half. I am a very active person ( competed in my first triathlon this summer). Any info on getting back to exercise after surgery would be helpful.

I had a really hard time deciding on docs. I saw MANY and heard everything from full fusion T3- sacrum to what I am going to do which is T10 - L3 posterior approach. My biggest decisoin was between Dr. Boachie who said anterior fusion T10- L3 and my final choice Dr. Lonner with all posterior approach T10 - L3.
                    Did anyone else have to make decision like that of same levels just whether from front/side or back? I still an not sure if I made the right choice.

I have spent many hours reading other posts and experiences and it has been so helpful and informative. Any advise/opinions are welcome. Thinking/preparing for the day is tough as it gets closer and closer. Hard to explain to kids, etc..

Comment

Katie,
                      Good luck to you, also. I did not get a second opinion because I felt like I had one of the best surgeons practically in my backyard. I was terribly upset when I found out I'd be fused T4-sacrum because I am an avid golfer and knew that I would lose most of my flexibility by going that low. However, I never questioned which vertebrae should be fused as I feel that is the decision of the experts. I can't imagine having any input into that decision, but I guess it's difficult when surgeons disagree. Well, I'll be thinking of you on the 21st and wishing you the best.
                      Good luck!
                      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                      Rib Hump-GONE!
                      Age-60 at the time of surgery
                      Now 66
                      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

All the best to you Katie. Having three lil boys ages 2,4 and 6 is a handful at the best of times, I hope you have hubby on board. Keep us updated.

Originally posted by katieb View Post
                        Good luck to everyone having surgery in December. I also am having surgery on December 21 with Dr. Lonner in NYC. I am 41 with 3 boys, 2yrs, 4yrs, and 6 yrs, and am very nervous how we are all going to get through this. I have an s curver 63L and 42 T. I am not in debilitating pain now but it is getting progressively worse, also the appearance of my curve has dramaticially gotten worse and I have shrunk an inch and a half. I am a very active person ( competed in my first triathlon this summer). Any info on getting back to exercise after surgery would be helpful.

I had a really hard time deciding on docs. I saw MANY and heard everything from full fusion T3- sacrum to what I am going to do which is T10 - L3 posterior approach. My biggest decisoin was between Dr. Boachie who said anterior fusion T10- L3 and my final choice Dr. Lonner with all posterior approach T10 - L3.
                        Did anyone else have to make decision like that of same levels just whether from front/side or back? I still an not sure if I made the right choice.

I have spent many hours reading other posts and experiences and it has been so helpful and informative. Any advise/opinions are welcome. Thinking/preparing for the day is tough as it gets closer and closer. Hard to explain to kids, etc..
                        Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                        Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                        Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                        http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Good luck everyone! Stay positive and think of your straight bodies to come!
                          Age 56
                          Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
                          Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
                          Thoracic 68
                          Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
                          Dr Bridwell St Louis
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Those of you who have had surgery (especially with Lenke) did you do to the spine rehabilitation center after surgery? Is this part of the hospital stay or is this something you go to after you get out of hospital?
                            Laurie Anne
                            Age 30
                            Pre-Op Curves T68, L80, Kyphosis 48 degrees
                            Post-Op Curves both around 10 degrees
                            Surgery with Dr. Lenke & Dr. Kelly 12/13/10
                            Gained 2.5 inches now 5'9
                            PRE-OP Photos: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...urieScoliosis/
                            5 Mos Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...s%20Post%20Op/
                            1-Year Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...r%20Post%20Op/

Comment

Backissues is Ready

My surgery is Tuesday, December 7. It has been a long journey but the "first day of the rest of my life" is almost here. These last few weeks have been achy but I have used my "warm and form" when needed and powered on to go to museums and some shopping.

This forum has been a great source of information and has connected me to many of you individually as I have spoken with some of you by phone.

I did get the Peggy Huddleston book and CD and am using the mind-body relaxation. I'll let you know if it helps after the surgery. It is helping me now. In addition, I'm using my Svaroopa yoga poses and breathing. I will provide healing statements to my surgical team and hope they use them.

I have complete confidence in Dr. Rand and the team at New England Baptist Hospital. Everyone I have ever spoken to has nothing but great things to say about him.

So, here goes. I'll get a family member to post for me when I get to the "other side." It is going to be great to walk and stand "pain free."

Irene

Comment

Working...
                              X