Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helping Scoliosis in Africa

Hi Fellow Scolis -

I am two years post-operative and I am doing spectacularly. I have a blog about my recovery (and a link at the bottom of this page) and another blog about my current life - HERE. If you scroll down a couple of posts, you will see that I'm back to climbing trees at age 59. Before surgery, I was hardly able to manage minimal activities of daily living. So, that's about me.

Since it's the holidays, I want to post about the one foundation which is helping children in Africa with Scoliosis - FOCOS. The founder is Dr. Boachie, originally from Ghana. He was the previous president of the Scoliosis Research Society. If you want to help a child get a STRAIGHT SPINE, please go HERE. I think it's a great way for us scolis to help children who have no resources.

I am not associated with the foundation. However, I have donated and so have my family members who care about scoliosis because they are related to ME!

Please consider it.
    Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
    May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
    Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Hi Ginger,
    I am very glad to hear you are doing so well! You are the person who originally helped me learn about Dr. Boachie's amazing efforts for these children.........and my son and I ended up collecting & sending 15 scoli braces for one of his missions.

http://www.box.net/shared/uv212zk9c2

When we learn about the lack of care available in many of these developing nations, we realize how much we truly have to be thankful for.
    Thanks for the update & Happy Thanksgiving,
    Cara
    Cara, Mom to Nathan
    Diagnosed 24 deg. in July 2007, progressed to 38 deg. by August 2007
    Boston Back Brace 8/07 – 12/07
    VBS 12/10/07 Boston Children's Hospital
    Dr. Hresko
    40 Degrees before VBS
    11 Degrees now!! (2012)

Nathan's VBS Video

www.vertebralstapling.com

Comment

Hi Ginger,

How nice to hear from you and I agree this is a good cause. I cannot believe you are climbing trees....well maybe I can...I remember some of your early post-op adventures that amazed me! I'm sure that I climb a tree now, but I just wouldn't! I'm a big chicken!

Your grandchildren are absolutely adorable! Keep in touch!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Very nice site and great pics. I enjoyed browsing through it.
        Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
        Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
        Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
        http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Hey Cara - it's inspiring to read about your son collecting braces to send to Africa. I was there in April and know first-hand how these children suffer.

Debbei, my friends were quite nervous with me up in that tree. The truth is, I limit a FEW of my former activities but I still live a full life. Much fuller than before my surgery! Debbei, you've been a trooper on the forum!!!

Eliza, thanks for your comments.
          Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
          May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
          Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Comment

Working...
          X