Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone used Lyrica for post-op pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone used Lyrica for post-op pain?

My pain management doctor prescribed Lyrica for the neurogenic burning, cramping incisional pain. I didn't start taking it because I react strangely to many different meds, and taking a new one always scares me. One of my friends does take it for fibromyalgia, with good results.

So, I'm wondering if anyone on the forum has had any luck with it easing their post-op pain. The pain was bothering me so much today that I finally took one this evening, just to see if it will help more than the Percoset.
    Juliet, age 57
    37˚ lumbar and 35˚ thoracic with rotation
    Diagnosed at age 11 and untreated.
    Total degeneration of disc at L4-5, spondylolisthesis at L4, L5 sacralized.
    Surgery on 10/26/10
    Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine & Scoliosis, Center, Austin, TX.
    University Medical Center @ Brackenridge Hospital.
    Posterior fusion of T11-S1, part minimally invasive; TLIF at L4-5.

Hi Juliet,

I have never taken Lyrica, but I do know that it does not work just by taking an isolated dose here and there like other pain meds. You have to take it on a regular schedule before it will have an effect. I might suggest talking to your pharmacist more about it so that you can get the most benefit from it.

Take care,
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Yes. Lyrica was extremely helpful for me after surgery. It is the only post-operative medication which I have continued to use @ 75 mgs per day - a very small but helpful amount.
      Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
      May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
      Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Comment

Thanks for your responses ....
        I tried one 50 mg capsule last night (supposed to start with one, then increase at five day intervals to three a day). My doctor said to take it at bedtime because it might make me sleepy.

This morning I woke up dizzy, with vertigo so bad I can't hold up my head, walking one foot in front of the other like a robot, having trouble speaking or even putting a sentence together, hands trembling ... I called the doctor and they told me to stop taking the Lyrica.

The really bad part is .... IT WORKED on the pain and tightness in my back.
        It's been five hours since my last Percoset, and I barely feel a pinch. I finally find something that relieves the pain, and I have a bad reaction to it.

Frustration!
        Juliet, age 57
        Surgery on 10/26/10

Comment

Lyrica

I took a similar drug (Neurontin) aka gabapentin. These drugs work for nerve pain where narcotic drugs do not. I was prescribed this post-op for about 6 months while healing. The dosage was gradually raised and then gradually lowered at the end. It must be taken daily to be effective.
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

The doctor told me about a Neurontin, but said it was worse than Lyrica when it comes to side effects, and that Lyrica is basically a "cleaner" version of Neurontin (it metabolizes to the same compound, but is closer to the compound to begin with). So, I can't take either, nor can I take the other drugs that affect neurogenic pain, like Cymbalta. So, I'll just have to stick with the Percoset, which is hard on the stomach, but at least doesn't make me feel like I'm losing my mind!
            Juliet, age 57
            Surgery on 10/26/10

Comment

I have a local doc managing my pain meds/later aqua PT.

He sugested Lyrica 75 mg twice a day (in addition to my oxycontin and oxycodone). His thinking is that some of my pain would likely be from the nerves. I do find the Lyrica helpful, and I have no side effects.
              Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
              Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
              Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

I'm glad to know that it's been helpful to many people! It almost eliminated all of my pain, but unfortunately, the side effects (for me) were prohibitive. Even the doctor told me I shouldn't take it. I should say they were the side effects that only affect between 1 and 10% of patients. This is normal for me, though; I often fall into that category due to what might be a metabolic quirk of some sort.

I wish I could take it! And because of its usefulness, I recommend it to those who are looking for additional symptomatic relief of neurogenic pain.
                Juliet, age 57
                Surgery on 10/26/10

Comment

Working...
                X