Horseback Riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horseback Riding

Just wanted to drop a quick update...I am 8 months post revision of my spinal fusion to correct a sagittal imbalance. I just returned from visiting family in GA and was able to go horseback riding :-))) I kept it to a walk, when my horse wanted to trot I slowed her down, but I went 3 days in a row and my back felt great. I will be going back to work in a couple of weeks so life is getting back to normal...Just in time for the holidays :-)
    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Congratulations, Kristy! That's wonderful.

What kind of work will you be doing?

Evelyn
    age 48
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

congrats! that sounds like fun! Glad that you are doing well.
      Heidi
      35 year old mother of 2 lil girls
      60 degree thoracic
      44 degree lumbar
      Oct. 11, 2010 surgery
      Dr. Lenke St. Louis
      1 year follow up: 15 degree thoracic, 22 lumbar
      fused T1 to L1

Comment

riding

you're brave! i used to love to ride & rode with 2 fox hunting clubs; since i developed back problems and especially after going thru this surg, the last thing i would ever do is trot a horse or even mount
        junosand
        59 yo recently retired otolaryngologist (ENT surgeon)
        schedule oct 2010 for T11 - sacrum fusion, all posterior approach with pedicle screws, steels rods, revision decompression left L3-4, right L4-5 & L5-S1, transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion L3-4 L4-5 L5-S1
        with titanium cages
        Dr Lenke, WashU/Barnes/Jewish St. Louis

Comment

That's fantastic, Kristy! Horseback riding, wow!
          I'm only four weeks out, and sometimes it seems like the nagging pain is never going to go away. I keep in mind that by the time my birthday rolls round in May, things will be entirely different. Your post reinforced that, and snapped me right out of the blues; I have a long way to go, too long to be getting frustrated yet.

My doctor did tell me that when I'm healed up I can go back to riding roller coasters. I never though I'd be able to do THAT again!

Have a great Thanksgiving!
          Juliet, age 57
          37˚ lumbar and 35˚ thoracic with rotation
          Diagnosed at age 11 and untreated.
          Total degeneration of disc at L4-5, spondylolisthesis at L4, L5 sacralized.
          Surgery on 10/26/10
          Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine & Scoliosis, Center, Austin, TX.
          University Medical Center @ Brackenridge Hospital.
          Posterior fusion of T11-S1, part minimally invasive; TLIF at L4-5.

Comment

Hi Kristy,

That is terrific news. It's also a great thing to share here. Horseback riding seems too extreme for those of us that are post-oppies. It's always nice to know when milestones are reached, it gives everyone hope. I ride, but my Buddy is very gentle. He was trained for handicapped children, I feel like I'm cheating a little.

Congrats,
            Shari

Comment

My daughters were released to do everything except bungee jumping after 8 months.

They have a friend who does hunter/jumper who is fused. She is also allowed to ride.

I ride dressage and I am guessing it is some advantage to be fused if it helps with keeping neutral spine and good position. With good position you can ride from just a small area of the lower abdomen. I can round my horse with my posture alone but of course he is quite sensitive. I think even a lumbar fusion would not necessarily compromise correct riding but I am not sure about that.

Once it's fused with no pseudoarthrosis, it's fused. I suspect it would take a really really bad fall, not just an average fall, to compromise a good fusion but I don't know that. And you can avoid many falls.

I'm not fused but I don't fall off because I am afraid to do so. I'd do an emergency dismount if necessary before I would fall off if at all possible. Or spin him. That worked pretty well when my horse started rearing because he was convinced the rotor rooter hose was actually going to kill him.
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

That is great news. Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving

Melissa

Comment

Riding...

I may have to clarify my horseback riding activity!!! I really did keep it to a walk, trotted a very small amount but the bouncing motion scared me too much to continue since I know I am not considered fused for a year. It did not hurt though. I know I will be able to do more next time we go. My long fusion did help me to keep a good posture and my hubby tired out long before I was ready to stop. He doesn't have scoliosis of course, but does have lower back pain from herniated discs. AND, he has always grown up with horses so is much more experienced than me, so I felt (secretly) good that I could ride longer than him. I would not want to fall off of a horse after 2 scoliosis surgeries, another reason I took it easy. I drive easy in my car too for that very reason...I am so very protective of my back after going through this 2 times. But, I wanted you'all to know that you won't be a robot after fusion to the pelvis...lol.
                  May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Kristie - that's great that you were able to horseback ride! And that you got a new job! Sounds like it's time for another Indy reunion to catch up with you and Evelyn and me. I've been cooking tonight; getting ready for tomorrow. Michael (my son) flew in from NY today and Jennifer (my daughter) doesn't have to work tomorrow. Happy Thanksgiving!
                    Age 56
                    Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
                    Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
                    Thoracic 68
                    Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
                    Dr Bridwell St Louis
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

get a racker

if i really loved horses that much, after scoliosis surg i'd get a racking horse
                      i rode one once; totally smooth back thru the gaits
                      junosand
                      59 yo recently retired otolaryngologist (ENT surgeon)
                      schedule oct 2010 for T11 - sacrum fusion, all posterior approach with pedicle screws, steels rods, revision decompression left L3-4, right L4-5 & L5-S1, transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion L3-4 L4-5 L5-S1
                      with titanium cages
                      Dr Lenke, WashU/Barnes/Jewish St. Louis

Comment

Hi Junosand,

What was your experience like? How long is your fusion? Did you find it difficult to get in and out of bed once you got home? I am worried that my bed might be too soft and make it difficult to keep my hips and spine in line when getting in and out of it. Has anyone else had issues with this? Any advice?
                        Laurie Anne
                        Age 30
                        Pre-Op Curves T68, L80, Kyphosis 48 degrees
                        Post-Op Curves both around 10 degrees
                        Surgery with Dr. Lenke & Dr. Kelly 12/13/10
                        Gained 2.5 inches now 5'9
                        PRE-OP Photos: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...urieScoliosis/
                        5 Mos Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...s%20Post%20Op/
                        1-Year Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...r%20Post%20Op/

Comment

Hi, LaurieAnne!

My bed is pretty soft, but I solved alignment problems by using three pillows to help support my shoulders and lower back/hips, with another for under/between my knees. It took a couple of nights to get them just right, but it's been great ever since.

I didn't get a chance to try the foam topper, but Ed swears by it. Perhaps it might help even out the support so that the hips don't drop so much on a soft mattress.

Be sure you have several pillows in a variety of firmness for when you come home!
                          Juliet, age 57
                          37˚ lumbar and 35˚ thoracic with rotation
                          Diagnosed at age 11 and untreated.
                          Total degeneration of disc at L4-5, spondylolisthesis at L4, L5 sacralized.
                          Surgery on 10/26/10
                          Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine & Scoliosis, Center, Austin, TX.
                          University Medical Center @ Brackenridge Hospital.
                          Posterior fusion of T11-S1, part minimally invasive; TLIF at L4-5.

Comment

From my personal experience, foam toppers only work on a firm mattress. I tried one on my soft mattress and it made it even harder to roll over in bed which in turn makes it harder to get out of bed. It is now on our spare bed.

Naptown, I am so happy for you that you can now ride a horse again. It's a great feeling when you can get back to some of the activities that you once enjoyed before surgery.

Sally
                            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I have a relatively soft bed but I also have about a 3 inch Memory Foam mattress on it which makes it feel firmer and I absolutely LOVE it! Actually, the bed and foam were given to me by my sister who at first just wanted to store it here while they were in Mexico for a year but they're back now and bought a brand new one so I get to keep this one. The Memory Foam is wonderful and super comfortable.
                              Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                              Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                              Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                              http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Working...
                              X