Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• silly question...

For all of you who already have had the surgery,

Does you body really change afterwards? Can you and people notice the difference? Did your old clothes fit you differently?
    I've had this body with these large curves since I was 12 years old. I'm 32 now with a T90 and L50. Most of the people cannot really tell I have this deformity ( I became a master of disguise) but I can tell. For the last couple of years I have avoided looking at myself in the mirror and going to the beach...
    Obviously, I am not doing this for cosmetic result... My daily rib and chest pains remind me of what I have, I am just trying to focus on the outcome rather than what I am going to go through in 2 weeks... I guess I just need encouragment!
    Pilar
    Scoliosis Diagnosed at age 12. Wore Milwaukee brace for 2 years.
    Now age 32
    Pre-op curves: C86-T98-L37
    Surgery date: 12/6/2010 (anterior) 12/10/2010 (posterior)
    Fused T2 to L5 with thoracoplasty.
    Post-op curves: C48-T47-L17
    Dr. Robert Pashman
    Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles, CA
    Before and after xrays :
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...5&d=1292969215

Honestly? I was gobsmacked.

Before surgery, I didn't think much about the change in shape. I suppose this was because my shape never worried me much. My back had stood me in such good stead over the years, I was ok with it.

But the first time I stood in front of a mirror naked - I didn't recognise myself!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Pilar
      Big time.
      You will probably grow 3 inches after your surgeries. It’s a big improvement.

Can I ask if your anterior will be XLIF’s? or waistline ALIF? I had a vertical done.
      XLIF’s are from the side, and leave little 1 inch scars. I ask because I don’t think that the surgeons do vertical ALIF's on women too often.

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Yes, the cosmetic correction was remarkable. As a child I would be called a "hunchback" and spat on in the street for the way I looked. After all my surgery, no-one can really tell I have scoliosis and I can wear lovely dresses and feel great about myself. And, even though my first surgery was in 1986, I haven't lost any correction at all! I have friends who are jealous of my figure! It is amazing

There are apparently some chiropractors out there who are telling people that surgery doesn't give you any cosmetic correction whatsoever and that if your surgeon tells you it will then they are LYING to you. This is utter, utter BS but if it worries anyone at all, they should just take a look at some of the wonderful before and after photos on the various scoliosis forums.

Comment

Jennifer put it so well!

Throughout my adult life, I learned how to disguise the deformity, and essentially forgot about it most of the time unless it became obvious because of exposure (swimsuits) or something that just didn't fit (like tucking shirts in, or skirts that hang at an angle). It was just part of who I was.

Even though my angle wasn't severe, and I was looking forward to pain relief and repair of degenerating discs, I was SHOCKED to see myself with a normal back and waist. I hadn't expected it to be such a difference, given the degree of correction wasn't very extreme. To me, it was like an unexpected bonus - looking normal after all these years! Wow.

Your body really changes. Everyone will notice the difference. You will be able to wear anything you want. It's like the icing on the cake.
          Last edited by BadKitty; 11-22-2010, 09:08 AM.
          Juliet, age 57
          37˚ lumbar and 35˚ thoracic with rotation
          Diagnosed at age 11 and untreated.
          Total degeneration of disc at L4-5, spondylolisthesis at L4, L5 sacralized.
          Surgery on 10/26/10
          Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine & Scoliosis, Center, Austin, TX.
          University Medical Center @ Brackenridge Hospital.
          Posterior fusion of T11-S1, part minimally invasive; TLIF at L4-5.

Comment

Yes, even at my age it does make a difference in how you look. My torso looks a bit longer, I look thinner because my rib cage isnt all twisted around and my rib hump is basically gone. My right shoulder blade is just slightly prominent but you have to be looking for it to notice it. I would imagine you will notice a big difference since you are younger. If you look at my x-rays, the before side view shows a double roll and on the after it is gone after straightening my spine.
            Age 56
            Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
            Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
            Thoracic 68
            Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
            Dr Bridwell St Louis
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Originally posted by tonibunny View Post
              There are apparently some chiropractors out there who are telling people that surgery doesn't give you any cosmetic correction whatsoever and that if your surgeon tells you it will then they are LYING to you. This is utter, utter BS but if it worries anyone at all, they should just take a look at some of the wonderful before and after photos on the various scoliosis forums.
              This is simply more Clear "geniusry." CLEARLY the Clear chiros should scrupulously avoid talking about surgery as it is well established both by their remarks and how they misrepresent the literature that they known zip about it.

It's analogous to a chiro telling an engineer about vibration theory or referencing any type of equation of any sort whatsoever.
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Titanium Ed, what the heck does "don't forget the foam!" mean?
                Stephanie, age 56
                Diagnosed age 8
                Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
                Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
                Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
                Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
                Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
                Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

It took me a while to figure it out, but I'm pretty sure he means the foam topper for the bed post-op!
                  Juliet, age 57
                  37˚ lumbar and 35˚ thoracic with rotation
                  Diagnosed at age 11 and untreated.
                  Total degeneration of disc at L4-5, spondylolisthesis at L4, L5 sacralized.
                  Surgery on 10/26/10
                  Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine & Scoliosis, Center, Austin, TX.
                  University Medical Center @ Brackenridge Hospital.
                  Posterior fusion of T11-S1, part minimally invasive; TLIF at L4-5.

Comment

Stephanie

Yes, the foam for the bed. Foam toppers help tremendously with sleeping after surgery....I had so many problems with sleeping and realized that the foam would help tremendously, and it did. I learned this after struggling so hard to sleep.

My shoulder was also broken which didnt help....

Ed
                    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                      For all of you who already have had the surgery,

Does you body really change afterwards? Can you and people notice the difference? Did your old clothes fit you differently?
                      I've had this body with these large curves since I was 12 years old. I'm 32 now with a T90 and L50. Most of the people cannot really tell I have this deformity ( I became a master of disguise) but I can tell. For the last couple of years I have avoided looking at myself in the mirror and going to the beach...
                      Obviously, I am not doing this for cosmetic result... My daily rib and chest pains remind me of what I have, I am just trying to focus on the outcome rather than what I am going to go through in 2 weeks... I guess I just need encouragment!
                      Pilar
                      Pilar,
                      My body didn't change so as anybody else could tell, but I can tell. I still have a crease in my back (but that is small potatoes), I feel less scrunched up in my torso and generally straighter. Obviously none of us do this for cosmetic reasons, but it is a nice side effect for all the tough recovery we go through...
                      May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Hi Pilar! I'm 19, female, and am almost 1 1/2 years post opp. Fused T9 -L3. And I can feel the difference especially in tighter fitting clothes and dresses...they fit like they're supposed to. I'm sure its different for everyone though. I also feel like my lungs have more room to expand. I was at approx 60 degrees so my ribs were compressed on one side and spread out of the other. I feel great now and can sit up straight and breath wonderfully! All the best with your surgery! You can do it!!!!
                        Maliha
                        Fused 2009

Comment

I had 2 curves at 66 degrees prior to surgery, and everyone said they couldn't tell. However, some of those SAME people who saw me afterwards, said, OMG you are so STRAIGHT!! So apparently I wasn't as disguised as I or these other people thought.

I also lost 15 lbs after surgery so of course my clothes fit me differently anyway. I do like what I see in the mirror better without any clothes--the ribs aren't squished over one one side and caved in on the other.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

this is such encouragement! I'm looking forward to have my surgery and put this behind me.. so i can finally able to wear a bikini without hiding!
                            62/75 (T4-T9 68 degree & T11 - L4 80 degree) 10/19/2010
                            45/50 year 2000
                            36 yrs old
                            Considering, researching surgery for the first time
                            S. California
                            http://s1210.photobucket.com/albums/...ashionista889/

Comment

The change in my body was remarkable, with a symmetrical waistline for the first time in my life. I gasped and teared up the first time I tried on a dress with a nipped-in waist three months after surgery. If I were 30 years younger, I'd wear a bikini !!!
                              Chris
                              A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                              Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                              Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                              Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Working...
                              X