Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need pre-op tips!

Hi everyone,
    so today I got a message from Dr. Pashman saying that my surgeries (ant-post) were moved up to Decemnber 6th and 10th!!! He wants to give me enough time to recuperate before I start school. Now, that's 2 weeks away!!! ahhhh! I have done nothing to prepare for this. What did you guys do??? Does excersicing everyday help, like hiking and walking? Did you change your diet or took vitamines? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    Scoliosis Diagnosed at age 12. Wore Milwaukee brace for 2 years.
    Now age 32
    Pre-op curves: C86-T98-L37
    Surgery date: 12/6/2010 (anterior) 12/10/2010 (posterior)
    Fused T2 to L5 with thoracoplasty.
    Post-op curves: C48-T47-L17
    Dr. Robert Pashman
    Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles, CA
    Before and after xrays :
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...5&d=1292969215

Exercise, especially anything cardiovascular, helps before surgery. I've always taken lots of vitamins and supplements but had to go off some (like fish oil and flaxseed oil) 2 weeks before surgery so call the office and check Monday. Also you're not supposed to take aspirin or ibuprofen before and after surgery, only Tylenol. So check with your doc right away. Good luck!
    Age 56
    Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
    Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
    Thoracic 68
    Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
    Dr Bridwell St Louis
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Walking helped me; I was walking 2-3 miles a day already, and kept that up. Do core exercises, as strong abdominal and core muscles will help to stabilizing your spine after surgery. My doc told me what to take and not to take regarding supplements and vitamins, so ask your doc about that. I was surprised at the number of things that aren't allowed.

Other than that, be sure you have some loose clothing (sweat pants, shirts with wide necks) that will be easy to wear after surgery. You'll probably just wear hospital gowns until you go home, unless you go to rehab where you'll want to have real clothes. Everyone gets bloated, so having pants that aren't tight around the waist is critical. I also got a tip here about wearing camisoles instead of bras, and it worked great.

There is a wonderful list here on the forum somewhere, and I'll repost it if I can find it .. maybe someone else has the link?

You can also stock up on high-protein and healthy foods before your surgery. Having them already in the pantry when you get home will be helpful. Others have said putting things where you can easily reach them also is a good idea to do ahead of time.
      Last edited by BadKitty; 11-19-2010, 08:49 PM.
      Juliet, age 57
      37˚ lumbar and 35˚ thoracic with rotation
      Diagnosed at age 11 and untreated.
      Total degeneration of disc at L4-5, spondylolisthesis at L4, L5 sacralized.
      Surgery on 10/26/10
      Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine & Scoliosis, Center, Austin, TX.
      University Medical Center @ Brackenridge Hospital.
      Posterior fusion of T11-S1, part minimally invasive; TLIF at L4-5.

Comment

I purchased a couple of baskets that I placed on my bathroom dressing table to hold meds and other toiletries that were in my lower cabinets that I couldn't reach after surgery. It is handy to keep the things I use daily in these baskets so I don't have to bend.

I also keep a notepad where I can keep track of what medicines I have taken and when.
        Chris, Austin, TX
        80 degree thoracic/36 degree lumbar curves
        Surgery 8/2/10, Anterior Cervical Decompression/Fusion
        C4/5, C5/6, C6/7
        New Surgery date 10/25/2010, T-2 to Pelvis, posterior
        Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine and Scoliosis Center

Comment

What a nice man Dr. Pashman sounds. You are very lucky!

I got fit before my surgery but I wish I'd done squats. Because after surgery, (not immediately after) you do a lot of squatting, because you are not allowed to bend. So squats would be my recommendation, that and fast walking.

Best of luck Pilar!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Its on Linda’s site.

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PreparingforSurgery.htm

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/References.htm

It’s a great list.

BTW, I was totally unprepared....and I learned a few things, the hard way. lol

Having someone around to help out IS the most important thing. Having a support team of people that are close to you. Make sure they understand what is going to happen.

If I had to buy 1 thing, it would be the foam topper for the bed.
            Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

well before my spinal fusion i walk all the time
              swimming is also a good idea before surgery.
              Kara
              Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
              Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
              T4-L2
              Before 50T
              After 20T

Comment

Sorry to bump an old thread but this is really useful information.

Ed, of the things you wish you'd bought early-on, was one of them a raised toilet seat? My bathroom upstairs has a walk-in shower, but there is nothing to hold on to for getting on or off the toilet, and I really would like to do that on my own as early as possible. Worth the money?
                Female, age 38
                4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
                currently 64*upper/40*lower
                Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
                now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

Lily
                  The raised toilet seat subject has been brought up here many times. Some people like to have them, but I didn’t have any problems toileting or showering....I didn’t need one.

Its nice to prepare, but its also nice to have the insurance company provide items, after all, you are paying for it to begin with. They will give you items in the hospital they deem necessary....They gave me my walker, and my grabber.

The main thing is preparing all the people in your circle. Making sure you have a support system with someone that will help you when needed. I had that set-up, so didn’t worry about the little things. You really need to concentrate on yourself, on healing, and shouldn’t have to worry about anything else. You only have one shot at this.

Welcome to the forum
                  Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Thanks Ed for the quick reply. We'll hold off on that - but will be buying a handheld shower once I get another coupon from Bed Bath and Beyond. Honestly, I'm not sure I will need that. I mean, if you're standing under the shower head it's pretty much going to get you rinsed off anyway, right?

Finally, regarding the foam topper. We have a select comfort bed (sleep number) - which I think will be really good as I can adjust it firmer or softer as it feels right.

I have a lot of flexibility in me, other than that 65* thoracic curve, of course - and should be able to squat down, etc., right? I am in excellent health otherwise, and am currently doing daily PT to strengthen abs and scapulars, and taking Calcium with Vit D and a multivitamin, as I've had trouble eating due to stress/anxiety.

Anything else pre-op you would recommend? Any guidance is appreciated.
                    Female, age 38
                    4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
                    currently 64*upper/40*lower
                    Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
                    now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

Yes, water does flow downhill. He-he

When you get older, you will see that you suddenly have all these items piling up, and you think to yourself, “why do I keep buying all this stuff ?” Ok, at least its happening to me..... I have too much stuff!!! LOL Its insanity.....

Find a local source, (medical supply co) for the toilet device, and have that info written down just in case you need it. You can always have someone go get it for you after you come home. Do this with the foam topper, just in case.

Since you are in good shape, practice your squats.....you will be fine.

As far as the stress in all of this, its hard to avoid. Just remember that stress will not get you anywhere, its not worth it. Yes, there are meds to help deal with this, but after reading all the fine print....lol my best advice would be to breathe, and go run around the block.(Forrest Gump) Do they help? Do you want to enter the surgery with extra chemicals in your system? I wouldn’t think so. Eating a balanced diet is pretty important, it builds the immune system. If meds deprive you of this, its best to rethink things through.

Keep reading and asking questions here....I try to follow, its hard cause my eyes are taking a dump....that’s the problem with successful scoliosis surgery, you find out that everything else is shot! LOL I’m happy no matter what happens.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

@Lilysaidwhat,

Just curious why your lumbar needs fusing also. The disparity between your T curve and L curve is more consistent with you just having a structural T curve requiring only a T fusion just based on my readings.

Did the surgeon explain why he is also fusing your lumbar? Did you get a second opinion?
                        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Lily-- They sent me home from the hospital with a raised toilet seat with handles (the one I used there) -- so Ed is right in saying to wait and see if insurance will foot the bill for one. And maybe you won't need one. I was very weak afterward, and the handles were very much needed to help push myself up. Also, I really required a shower seat for awhile, and so the hand-held shower wand was truly needed. I just couldn't have stood that long in the shower. Those items weren't something insurance bought-- my husband got them. Taking a shower wore me out-- I would have to go rest for awhile afterward! Fortunately that didn't last too long.
                          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                            @Lilysaidwhat,

Just curious why your lumbar needs fusing also. The disparity between your T curve and L curve is more consistent with you just having a structural T curve requiring only a T fusion just based on my readings.

Did the surgeon explain why he is also fusing your lumbar? Did you get a second opinion?
                            Sharon....

While lumbar curves may not start out as structural, I think they almost always become structural in adulthood.

Regards,
                            Linda
                            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                              Sharon....

While lumbar curves may not start out as structural, I think they almost always become structural in adulthood.

Regards,
                              Linda
                              Wow. I must say I suspected that some might based on the length of fusions in the adult crowd versus that in the kids crowd on this forum but I assumed it was just a random thing.

Is that true for all structural T curves or just large ones? Do compensatory L curves become structural in adulthood under moderate T curves??? Wouldn't that be a reason to fuse all structural T curves before adulthood?? To save the lumbar???
                              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                              X