Rehabilitation Program or Home???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rehabilitation Program or Home???

I am just curious . . . how many of you went straight home from the hospital following your surgery and if you did, did you feel adequately trained in your self care, getting in and out of bed, chairs, taking medications, etc.? I've been told that since I'm in good shape physically, that I probably wouldn't have to go to rehab. Although I'll be anxious to get home, I'm not sure I want to burden my husband with my total care or if he would even feel confident enough that he could do it. I have a friend who is a retired nurse who has volunteered to come over and help, but she would only be here for maybe an hour or two a day. I know the first few weeks are crucial and I just don't want to get light headed and fall and damage anything or hurt something by not logrolling properly. Two nurses have told me that I should definitely go to the rehab. for a week if given the option.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Karen--
    I did 8 days in the hospital and 8 days in rehab--most of which I barely remember. When I was home I had the in-home nurses/pt, etc. stop also for a few weeks. All of this was thru prescriptions from surgeon. I felt like it was all pretty vital for my recovery. Everyone is different though. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Janet,
      Did insurance pay for the nurses?
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I know everyone is different but they told me I would not have to go to Rehab. I was in the hospital 6 days and I thought the PT and OT were very good and helpful and they released me pretty quickly. I hated having that catheter so my goal was to be able to get safely to the bathroom as soon as I could. I remember telling Dr Bridwell on his 6:30am daily visits that I wanted the catheter out! My surgery was Tuesday and they removed it Friday morning. But I was walking pretty well with the walker by then. But since I was more than 4 hours away they had me stay in a hotel for a week after being discharged. My husband was with me and a few friends came over to visit so I was fine. Hope your appt went well the other day!

Lisa
        Age 56
        Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
        Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
        Thoracic 68
        Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
        Dr Bridwell St Louis
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Rehab

I was 60 when I had my very extensive revision. I liked rehab because: Much better pain control than trying to wing it at home with a primary MD/surgeon, I was discharged sooner from the hospital than if I were going directly home -a rehab is a cheerier place and more help is available-,it unloaded my husband who needed his own rest, they supplied me with grabbers and other aids to make life at home easier, helped me getting used to my new height/center of gravity and taught me how to protect my back as I healed.
          Even though I was a medical professional I couldn't do this alone.

Insurance paid for the rehab, some equipment and my private nurse in hospital(if my doctor wrote "may have private nurses". I paid the nurse and submitted it to insurance. Of course it depends on your plan.
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

If they offer you rehab .... take it!
            My doc told me that 50% of his patients go to rehab, so somehow it seemed like going indicated some sort of "failure" to improve rapidly enough - boy, was I wrong.

Neither I nor my family wanted me to be gone more than the week or so I'd be in the hospital, but they sent me over to rehab at 5 days post-surgery, and it was such a blessing. At rehab they addressed all the issues I would have had trouble with at home -- the lack of appetite, the pain medication, the horrible constipation from the pain medication, the getting-up-and-walking-around encouragement, making sure I was comfortable at night even if it meant coming to my room at 3:00 a.m. to help me to the bathroom, reassure me, fluff my pillows, and help me change position until I could sleep.

Having OT and PT in-house was actually fun, a sort of a social hour twice a day. I got to hang out with folks who had the same or similar surgery (JChris from the forum included) , plus others who had much more challenging physical issues that opened my eyes to how lucky I was. My son and ex-husband came every evening, with Jonny playing the piano in the activity room (he's 13) and Gil hovering. The food was AWFUL, but my family was allowed to bring me anything I wanted.

I had the entirely wrong idea about what it was like, and am SO glad I went there for six days! I was so much better-prepared for coming home, with a much-improved condition, and advice on how to do laundry, how to get in & out of the tub, dress, and more helpful social workers, psychologists, dietitians and staff than you could shake a stick at. Even my roommate was the sweetest lady you could ever meet. Having a semi-private room wasn't at all inconvenient.

I realize that each person has a different experience with rehab, but mine was great. I can't imagine having to go through those first days at home, trying to deal with everything on my own. I highly recommend it!
            Last edited by BadKitty; 11-18-2010, 03:16 PM.
            Juliet, age 57
            37˚ lumbar and 35˚ thoracic with rotation
            Diagnosed at age 11 and untreated.
            Total degeneration of disc at L4-5, spondylolisthesis at L4, L5 sacralized.
            Surgery on 10/26/10
            Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine & Scoliosis, Center, Austin, TX.
            University Medical Center @ Brackenridge Hospital.
            Posterior fusion of T11-S1, part minimally invasive; TLIF at L4-5.

Comment

I was originally scheduled to go to rehab for a week, esp. since I lived 4 hours away from my Dr. However, I did too well to "qualify" for my insurance to cover it so ended up going home after a week in the hospital (and right before "Snowmageddon" hit the east coast last Feb.) I did have visiting nurses coming in at home and some limited PT from them but I was fine. My husband was home full-time from his teaching job which was a blessing. He was up a lot at night with me when I was most uncomfortable/miserable, but at least he didn't have to get up and go to work. I think it depends on each individual, how well you do post-op, etc. I would think if you have the opportunity to go and it's covered by insurance, it would be worthwhile.

Anne in PA
              Age 58
              Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
              T4 to sacrum fusion
              63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
              Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
              Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

I spent 13 days in rehab following my 5½ day hospital stay. I live alone and rehab was ideal for me. I had a private room, and like Karen said much better pain control administered by the nursing staff. I would never have been able to go directly home. I received excellent care and the therapists who worked with me made my transition back to home that much easier for my family. I would highly recommend rehab for anyone living alone.

Comment

I was sent straight home from the hospital following my surgery
                  where i live they don't have home based PT programs for children
                  Kara
                  Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                  Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                  T4-L2
                  Before 50T
                  After 20T

Comment

I had 10 days in the hospital and 10 days in rehab. I didn't want to go home because I got such good care in rehab. Compared to the hospital, it was like a spa. Or summer camp. They got me up and walking and fine-tuned my drug cocktail and gave me lots of caring attention. In spite of being in a lot of pain most of the time, I met some nice people there and had some laughs with my roommate (a woman about my age who'd had a knee replacement).

Also, my husband was mighty relieved that by the time I got home, I was able to take care of myself in the bathroom -- something I couldn't do til Day 9 at rehab!!

It's VERY important that you do your homework and choose a rehab you'd like to go to before your surgery...make sure they take your insurance and tell the surgeon's nurse or scheduling person the place you've chosen. The last thing you want is for them to choose a place for you...not all rehabs are equal...you don't want to be sent to a substandard nursing home-type place.
                    Chris
                    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I went from hospital to home. The only need was someone to cover my back to get my shower... I would have needed someone to put my socks, but luckily I had surgery in summer!!

Comment

I was five days in the hospital, then 11 days in rehab. My experience was much like Badkitty's and Singer's. Even the food was good. My Doctor chose the rehab hospital because he has Doctors and nurses there that he knows for followup care, including a Psychologist who was great. Plus, the rehab hospital was just minutes from the Baptist Hospital. I had to be transported back and forth for x-rays between surgeries and it just wouldn't work if I had chosen the rehab hospital myself. After five more days in the hospital after my second surgery, I was good to go home. I was on a Medicare Advantage Plan, so Medicare paid for all of the costs at the rehab. Not all insurances will pay for rehab hospitals, so check it out ahead of time.
                        Sally
                        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Karen--
                          Yes, insurance paid for rehab. (I didn't have a private nurse at any time.) It also paid for visiting p.t. and nurse for a few weeks. They would come for about an hour most days--not all. It was good to keep in touch with them especially since I had very low blood pressure problems after I got home. Janet
                          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I must echo Bad Kitty's remarks regarding rehab. We were in the same rehab together so that made it even more special. I was in rehab for five days following a five day hospitalization for the sugery.

The rehab had me walking without a walker, cane or anything else the first day. they taught me how to shower, dress and handle all personal care needs on my own. We had daily group therapy sessions which gave me many strengthening exercises that I am doing at home now.

They provided tools to put on socks, sponges to bath legs and feet and taught me how to use my grabbers to get my pants on, etc. I really felt much more independent after rehab and would highly recommend it. I did not need home nursing care following rehab, but I do have my husband at home with me to help with things.
                            Chris, Austin, TX
                            80 degree thoracic/36 degree lumbar curves
                            Surgery 8/2/10, Anterior Cervical Decompression/Fusion
                            C4/5, C5/6, C6/7
                            New Surgery date 10/25/2010, T-2 to Pelvis, posterior
                            Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine and Scoliosis Center

Comment

As one who didn't go to rehab or have pt at any stage, I am wondering what sort of therapy was provided by the rehab and visiting physiotherapists.

I only saw a pt on Days 2, 3, 4 and 5 in hospital. I walked and did wall pushups. And went home with absolutely no instructions other than to walk.

Now I'm wondering what I missed out on.
                              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                              X