PDA

View Full Version : Before and Afters

peachrush7
11-14-2010, 07:01 PM
Hey everyone!

Still mulling my decision over, but I'm closer and closer to deciding yes, and soon.

My husband and I were looking through the posts today, as he is slowly wading into the idea that I am really going to do this, and he wanted to see what you all had to say about it. Can't say enough how helpful it is to have this place, and be able to show him the good, the bad and the ugly, instead of us just 'guessing' in isolation. Thanks for all the honesty. It's been a god-send.

ANYWAY...he, like most people, is very visual. We went through every profile we could that had BEFORE AND AFTER photos and x-rays. I can't get over how helpful it was for him to see you all (inside and out, lol). He had never seen anyone with curves more progressed than mine, and it was also great to show him the amazing after results, along with the x-rays to show how exactly the rods and screws work. (We watched a video on you tube the other night that showed it in animation, but seeing the real deal, real people who can talk about it is WAY better).

All this to say, it might be cool for all of you who have Befores and Afters to post them in this thread, so anyone searching for them could easily find this thread. It was kind of hard to find them but the ones we found are amazing, and like I said, SO HELPFUL.

Just a suggestion, but I would really appreciate it and I'm sure other people in my shoes would love it too. (Maybe next year some time I'll be able to post mine!)

Thanks again. You guys are AWESOME!:)

ShariMSU
11-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Hi - I know I should put mine on the forum here, but I had trouble doing that.
Feel free to look at my blog as it has photos and xrays, before and after.
Also, if you go to blog archive and read through April 2010 you can read about the surgery experience from my husband's perspective.
God bless and good luck!

peachrush7
11-14-2010, 07:11 PM
Shari, I've been meaning to email you about your great blog! I have been reading it, and I actually showed my husband your pics today. =) Very helpful!!

THANKS for taking the time to do that. It really helps someone like me who is trying to decide.

Elisa
11-14-2010, 07:15 PM
I would love to see some before and after pics!

Pooka1
11-14-2010, 07:20 PM
I'm not sure if you specifically want adult radiographs or radiographs of before and after double major curves like you have but the first post in this thread has before and after for my twin girls. They are 57* (kid 2) and 58* (kid 1) thoracic curves on the table. The 57* was reduced to a small but measurable scoliosis (i.e., >10*) and the 58* was reduced to not measurable.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11316

If you want to see a truly amazing before/after, I suggest the link in this woman's signature file to her daughter's radiograghs...

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/member.php?u=4135

Click the "About me" tab for the signature. It's Lenke's work of course. :)

Good luck.

peachrush7
11-14-2010, 07:36 PM
thanks pooka!

your daughter's films are great! i was just thinking anyone, who had ANY kind of before/after films/photos. that way they would all be in ONE place for everyone to find. I've read a lot of your posts, and hope your daughters continue to do well. :)

titaniumed
11-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Here are my afters. My before's are buried deep here at NSF never to be found. LOL

I had another Doctor compliment me with the words "nice rack". Guys dont normally here these words, I was speechless. I wondered if I should slap him?

They are digitals, so if anyone wants to "zoom in" on my rack, I think it would be ok.
Ed

Elisa
11-14-2010, 07:45 PM
That IS a nice rack Ed. *slap*

Pooka1
11-14-2010, 07:46 PM
thanks pooka!

your daughter's films are great! i was just thinking anyone, who had ANY kind of before/after films/photos. that way they would all be in ONE place for everyone to find. I've read a lot of your posts, and hope your daughters continue to do well. :)

Thanks peachrush. We are more than a year out from the second op and both girls appear to have moved on in every possible way. I say "appear" only because I am not in their heads but they certainly never mention it or any back pain or any shame over their scars or whatever. It's behind them figuratively and literally. :) This surgery for my kids is the best thing that has ever happened in my life.

Oh you should also check out Ti Ed's before/after. Those are mind blowing also. :eek:

Pooka1
11-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Oh I see Ti Ed posted while I was posting. Excellent!

peachrush7
11-14-2010, 07:47 PM
holy huge screws! yikes those are scary! but they do the trick... I showed my husband your awesome twisting photos today, so he could see that I wouldn't be a robot. it definitely made him feel a lot better. but i don't think i'll show him that last picture...it may confirm his worst fears lol...

Elisa
11-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Pooka, those before and after pics are amazing. Wow, to not only have one kid with scolio but twins! How old are the girls btw?

Oh, speaking of girls, I have one sandwiched in between two boys and let me tell you she is a handful. Love her to pieces and actually always had this dream of having two or maybe three little girls but ended up having two boys and one girl and boy oh boy am I ever glad I didn't get what I wished for, lol.

Pooka1
11-14-2010, 07:54 PM
Pooka, those before and after pics are amazing. Wow, to not only have one kid with scolio but twins! How old are the girls btw?

They just turned 16 a few days ago. So that's 32 in parent years. :eek: I changed my sig file.

Oh, speaking of girls, I have one sandwiched in between two boys and let me tell you she is a handful. Love her to pieces and actually always had this dream of having two or maybe three little girls but ended up having two boys and one girl and boy oh boy am I ever glad I didn't get what I wished for, lol.

LOL. Good one. With three you probably have passed me in parent years. :D

Elisa
11-14-2010, 08:00 PM
Interestingly enough my boys are very gentle and sweet, easygoing and never really a day of trouble. My daughter has been a PITA on many occasions since a tween and could never be considered sweet, heh. She's a wonderful girl though even though she can be really moody and downright miserable and confrontational... hey, there's only room for one of those in the house and that's moi. :p

Singer
11-14-2010, 08:09 PM
Here are mine:

The "after" picture is backwards, but you get the idea!

Elisa
11-14-2010, 08:31 PM
Amazing difference Singer. How has it been since the surgery?

titaniumed
11-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Its funny how some of the older forum members just sit back and laugh when Ed posts his Frankenstein after photo and no one responds.....I will keep it on my desktop forever, for future use. Yes, thatís Igor in the photo.LOL I know Juno will appreciate the photo since we have been the only ones here that had to be restrained for being bad. (line pullers) I thought I was the only one.

Peach
Glad those twisty photos helped. It shows how much twisting mobility we have when the whole spine is fused. I never expected that outcome, neither did my doctor!

Chris
I never saw your pre x-ray. What kind of pre pain where you in? It looks painful.
I wonder if on anteriorís if the side cut is worse than the front incision? I donít know if I would have enjoyed that too much. At least I could sleep on both sides.
Ed

Singer
11-14-2010, 09:15 PM
Elisa, it's been three and a half years since the big event.

And Ed, for the record, I laughed at your Frankenstein pic! However, I resent being called one of the "older" forum members...LOL

My curve increased dramatically after I turned 50 and was very painful at times. I used to get very sharp aches at the apex of the curve, where the rotation started, around T10.

Singer
11-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Elisa, I read your question wrong. You asked how it's been, not how long it's been....I'm doing fine now, but it was a challenging recovery. I continued to improve for three years afterwards.

Sherie
11-14-2010, 09:29 PM
If you want to see a truly amazing before/after, I suggest the link in this woman's signature file to her daughter's radiograghs...

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/member.php?u=4135

Click the "About me" tab for the signature. It's Lenke's work of course. :)

Good luck.

LOL, Sharon, I was wondering whether to post or not but you did it for me. I wonder if Lenke knows about all this free advertising he's getting here!

kennedy
11-14-2010, 10:29 PM
i only have my postop surgery x-rays

JenniferG
11-15-2010, 03:08 AM
My befores and afters are in my signature. I've just added my before and after x-rays.

Pooka1
11-15-2010, 05:51 AM
Its funny how some of the older forum members just sit back and laugh when Ed posts his Frankenstein after photo and no one responds.....

I always open the innocent sounding ones from you first. There's always a surprise inside. :)

doodie
11-15-2010, 08:36 AM
Hey ~

I'm not sure if you've seen my pics yet - they're in my signature. I should replace the New Spine ones (taken right after surgery in 2009) with the digital x-rays taken in July this year since they're how I look now. In these x-rays on my signature it's plain to see just how bloated and swollen I was, literally looked 7 months pregnant! :p I'm happy to report that bloating ALL went away and then some - I now have the body I always wished I had!

Good luck with your decision ~

Singer
11-15-2010, 08:45 AM
Very impressive, Julie.

BadKitty
11-15-2010, 10:59 AM
I don't have copies of my x-rays yet, but I do have before/after photos of my back. My angles weren't very extreme, but had managed to do a lot of damage to my lumbar spine over the years, so the doctor and I decided it was best to fix both the lumbar and thoracolumbar curves.

The after photo is two weeks post op. It's reversed, since I took it myself over my shoulder as reflected in a wall mirror, by looking at my camera display in a hand mirror. Not as hard as I though it would be! Don't have an "after bending" photo yet ... can't bend!

jeneemohler
11-15-2010, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the laugh, Ed. You are a nut!

BTW, everyone-how did everyone get the photos to post? Does the doc email or copy on a disk for you? I asked for a copy of my last xray, but it is really grainy and washed out. Just a print that looks like a copy machine did it. I assume we have the right to request them, because it is our own bodies? In the far past, the docs didn't want to give them to us because of chance of future lawsuits...

titaniumed
11-15-2010, 07:18 PM
Jenee
Just trying to have as much fun as possible....Iíve had members compliment my looks in that photo, and they didnít realize it was Frankenstein. I was wondering if that would happen again? We have had some great comedy here in the past, for sure. Sometimes its needed......

Since I have had doctors retire on me, and my data thrown in the trash, I have been diligent about my records. Especially CTís since they are not the best things to have done on a regular basis due to radiation levels. Burned to disc is best, digital. I also have my CTs burned, just request. You can also just hang an x-ray in a window, take a pic, and download off your camera.

Hospital reports can be modified if the records dept suspects a lawsuit. When requesting, it helps to explain why you want them, jumping up and down will be of some benefit in this matter, especially after scoliosis surgery. Remember to smile....

Ed

golfnut
11-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Seing the before and after pictures sure gets me thinking about the positives of the surgery. Thanks!

jeneemohler
11-15-2010, 07:57 PM
BadKitty, I sure hope I have that long, lovely back like you do, after my own surgery. You look awesome. I am so jealous... I have that lanky build with a compressed torso. Soon....

Snoopy
11-16-2010, 02:15 PM
Here's Jamie's before and after x-rays. Sorry about the poor quality of the before pictures and the way I attached them. I'm just so happy I was finallly able to learn how to attach her pictures!

Mary Lou

BadKitty
11-16-2010, 03:08 PM
Aw, thank you, Jeneť! Apparently even a slight adjustment can make a big difference; I was so surprised at the way my back looks now. I've always been slim, but my torso and hips felt squat and mismatched to my arms and legs. Now I look the way I was meant to look all along, so strange to see for the first time in my adult life. And the thought that my spine will stay healthy for so many more years is such a relief.

It's amazing what happens when the surgeon puts everything back in the right place. It sounds like you have the same build, so you can probably look forward to the same result when you have your surgery in January.

Pooka1
11-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Here's Jamie's before and after x-rays. Sorry about the poor quality of the before pictures and the way I attached them. I'm just so happy I was finallly able to learn how to attach her pictures!

Mary Lou

Wow Mary Lou. She appears completely de-rotated and without a single screw. A beautiful job.

BadKitty
11-16-2010, 04:37 PM
Wow! How do they do that without screws? Wires and clips? The results are beautiful!

Snoopy
11-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Sharon and Juliet,

Thank you! We too feel that she has a beautiful result. :D

Jamie's pedicles were too small to use screws, so they used wires and hooks and a full year of a lot of restrictions.

Mary Lou

Radiogirl
11-16-2010, 08:27 PM
HI! Click below in my signature line to see my before and afters. I am 7 months post op now. Surgery was 3/31/10.

BadKitty
11-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Hi, Laura .. I keep comparing your before and after backs. Isn't it amazing? You look great! It's made a huge difference for you.

cathydrew
11-16-2010, 09:17 PM
I CANNOT tell all of you wonderful people how much each and every one of you on this forum means to me as I head toward surgery in the spring. That's all.... thank you.

xoxo

KathK
11-17-2010, 12:17 PM
OK...This is my first time trying an attachment....here goes :).

My correction was approxmately 50% and my increase in height about 3/4 inch. Little circle top left is my wedding ring :). Barnes x-ray techs have you touch your hands to your shoulders.

titaniumed
11-17-2010, 10:07 PM
KathK

I see you had a little train wreck going on... and your L5-Sacrum looked similar to mine. You had to have been in pain with what you had going on.

How are things now?
Ed

KathK
11-19-2010, 08:21 AM
Ed,
Despite my spine being a train wreck and qualifying as "the spine of an 80 year old" in Dr. L's book :eek:, I really had no pain!! I think that pain may come with instability and joint movement and my spine was quite inflexible.

I am sure that pain was in my future though (my mom has severe stenosis). I'm glad that I had it taken care of and hope that I will continue to only be happier and happier with that decision as time goes by. I'll have to post my lateral x-rays at some point. I had a lot of rotation at the apex of my curve (looked like 90 degrees to me) and still do have some.

Like you, I am happy with the timing of my surgery. I would not have wanted to have had the surgery back in the 70's when I was first diagnosed. The technology used then (Harrington rods and hooks) did not have a great track record in lumbar spines and that whole "body cast for 9 months" thing did not sound appealing either. We are so lucky that the surgical technology has progressed so much.

titaniumed
11-19-2010, 09:18 AM
Kathy

If you didnít have any major pain events you are lucky....and I think that you were fixed just in time. I would say that you were guaranteed to have major pain issues for the future.....

There are H rod patients that are very happy that were done back in the day. The surgeons wanted to do a Luque on me, with wires. The use of wires was and still is a good method of attachment for certain cases.

As you heal, things will improve. Hang in there, it gets much better.
Ed

jesscv
11-19-2010, 05:21 PM
You can find all my back surgery/recovery pics here! http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2086081&id=20201376&l=17c74e57e0

Elisa
11-19-2010, 05:58 PM
I looked at all your FB pics Jess and read every comment too. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

BadKitty
11-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Great pictorial, Jess! Very familiar, too. You were put through the wringer, but look at you now.
I wish my sofa was as comfortable as yours looks!

peachrush7
11-20-2010, 03:29 PM
You can find all my back surgery/recovery pics here! http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2086081&id=20201376&l=17c74e57e0

wow jess! thanks for sharing those! how did you ever get your adorable dog in the hospital??? my 7lb maltipoo dog is my only child :p, and i was wondering if they'd ever let him in to visit if my stay ends up being 6-10 days...

jesscv
11-21-2010, 01:49 AM
thanks! my dad actually snuck our dog in...still not sure how he got away witht that one. haha.

peachrush7
01-09-2011, 12:20 PM
I don't have my post op x-rays yet, but I couldn't wait to show you my before and after back shots. Not quite as dramatic as I've seen from all of you, but I am so happy with my results. My shoulders look completely different, and my rib hump line is gone. I'm still fairly swollen, but even with the swelling you can see the straight back!

My double major curve was measuring 52 degrees, Thoracic and Lumbar. Not sure what my post-op measurements are yet, but my surgeon said they were corrected 80-90% so, I guess that means they are under 20 degrees now.

So happy!!!!

LaurieAnne
01-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Hi all,

Just received my before and after pics and xrays from Dr. Lenke's office. I know many of you have seen the pics I took but I thought I'd post the official pics and xrays. My curves are both under 15 degrees now. Dr Lenke and Dr Kelly are AMAZING! Please contact me if you have questions or want to chat. Tomorrow I will be 4 wks post op!!!

peachrush7
01-10-2011, 09:04 AM
Wow laurieanne! What an amazing transformation! how crazy, we're the same age and had our surgeries at almost the same time. Hope you feel better and better everyday.

Confusedmom
01-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Boy, you two sure are making me wish I'd done this when I was 28!!! (And also make me wish I was skinnier!) Anyway, you look great! I hope Dr. Lenke can work his magic on me one of these days. :)

Evelyn

foofer
01-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Boy, you two sure are making me wish I'd done this when I was 28!!! (And also make me wish I was skinnier!) Anyway, you look great! I hope Dr. Lenke can work his magic on me one of these days. :)

Evelyn

Yeah, these last two over-the-fencers can go on to modeling fame! Just amazing!

Shari
01-13-2011, 04:31 AM
Hi Singer,
This is the first time I've been here for a while, been busy w/ Mom. Your correction is absolutely great. I bet your singing like a Canary by now!!! I am so happy for you.

Wow,
Shari

peachrush7
01-13-2011, 06:32 PM

Here it is! Pre op curves measuring 52 both T and L. Post op curves measuring 15 both T and L.

Fused from T4-L4, all posterior.

Pooka1
01-13-2011, 06:40 PM
Super correction you got there! Whose is it?

boopy1
01-13-2011, 06:52 PM
Wow very nice correction for Laurie Anne and Peach rush
hope your recovery continues so well
Donna

Doodles
01-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Those x-rays look great--congratulations! You must be thrilled. Janet

peachrush7
01-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Super correction you got there! Whose is it?

Thanks Pooka! My surgeon is Dr. Joseph Flynn. I'm really happy with him, he is on the recomended surgeon list on this forum, though I actually found him by searching for adult scoli experts in orlando.

Pooka1
01-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Good to know. Thanks.

LaurieAnne and Jess CV got super corrections also.

These guys are amazing.

louise_23
02-16-2011, 12:22 PM
Hi

Ive never posted on here before but love looking at everyones before and after pics, just thought I'd add a few of my own:

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx137/loobielou_1986/Scoliosis/Presentation1.jpg

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx137/loobielou_1986/Scoliosis/Ribhumpbeforeandafter2.jpg

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx137/loobielou_1986/Scoliosis/xrays1.jpg

Hopefully I've done this right:)

Louise x

Doodles
02-16-2011, 02:59 PM
Louise--
Those look great! You had a wonderful correction. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum! Janet

louise_23
02-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Thanks Janet :D