PT Post OP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PT Post OP

I was wondering how many of you went to outpatient physical therapy after surgery?

I spent 5 days in the hospital followed by 5 days inpatient rehab after my surgery.

The rehab automatically refers you to outpatient PT once you are discharged home.

My surgeon recommends a walking program at home and is leaving it up to me to attend OP PT if I want it. I am walking each day and doing the home exercises that rehab recommended as well.

Do you recommend OP PT as well? I welcome feedback from the forum. Thanks so much.
    Chris, Austin, TX
    80 degree thoracic/36 degree lumbar curves
    Surgery 8/2/10, Anterior Cervical Decompression/Fusion
    C4/5, C5/6, C6/7
    New Surgery date 10/25/2010, T-2 to Pelvis, posterior
    Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine and Scoliosis Center

Chris--
    I did 8 days in the hospital and then 8 more in rehab. I had the same orders--walking, rehab exercises at home. I also had a pt person who came a couple times a week after and a nurse. At about 2 or 3 months, I think, I started going to p.t. At first just very mild exercises in the 92 degree pool and walking in the pool. I found it very helpful. Then we added in things on machines as time went on. This was at our local hospital and I think the doctor wrote this as a prescription for me. Eventually after about 9 months I started going back to my regular gym and doing my own exercise tapes, etc.--very carefully, of course! I think it really is a good thing to do the p.t. They can help you with exercises to address whatever ache or pain you have at different points and check on your walking, etc. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Chris

I left the hospital after 10 days, practically ran out with hoses attached. They wanted me to go to a rehab facility, but I was tired of playing doctor. LOL. I just wanted to go home in a hurry! I was also a bull in a china closet.

Since this was my decision, Dr Menmuir had an army coming out to my house everyday which was great. The PT girl who came out realized that I was pretty beat, and had me doing very light stuff,(heel lifts) basically trying to keep me moving. She would get me outside and we would walk short distances, and I would do this everyday. Its important not only for blood flow, but to keep the bowel’s moving somewhat. My arm was broken so the walker was almost useless. Short multiple walks everyday are best. Don’t push too hard right now.

Like Janet said the warm pool is a good thing. It will feel strange trying to swim at first, but you will be ok. In fact, many things feel strange and some things seem almost impossible, but in time you will adapt and everything will be just fine. The main thing is to keep moving.

I did regular PT in gym, like Janet at 8 months post and that timing was perfect. The arm bike was great for working all the paraspinal muscles in the upper spine.

I think its an excellent idea, it worked for me.

Take things slow right now.... I recommend hot baths for pain 107degrees.
      Careful with constipation.... Keep Mag Citrate available, 2 bottles.
      I hope everything is ok. How is the sleeping? Can you get 3 or 4 hours?
      Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

My doctor has me only walking right now. I should be at 3 miles a day by the end of November. I'm currently at 2.5 miles a day. He said that when I go back at 6 months he would put me on an exercise program. I did ask him if I could do some sort of arm exercises so I didn't turn to flab and he said I could only do arm curls as long as I don't do more weight than 5 pounds per arm and close to my body and as long as I do only curls and that 's it.
        Age 56
        Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
        Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
        Thoracic 68
        Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
        Dr Bridwell St Louis
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Thanks for all of the recommendations. Ed, I am sleeping 5-6 hours a night. Still on all pain meds.

I was thinking that since I am fused like the tin man, PT would be a good idea.
          Chris, Austin, TX
          80 degree thoracic/36 degree lumbar curves
          Surgery 8/2/10, Anterior Cervical Decompression/Fusion
          C4/5, C5/6, C6/7
          New Surgery date 10/25/2010, T-2 to Pelvis, posterior
          Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine and Scoliosis Center

Comment

Tin man? Not me

Chris

I don’t think about the “tin man” thing anymore... I know it’s a little much in the beginning, and it takes time, but I don’t even think about my back being a limitation at all.

Seriously. I went to bend down to look at some machinery a few months ago, and twisted as if I wasn’t fused, and realized that I might not bend or twist that way anymore. It was a surprise.

In recovery, you take it easy physically. Mentally, you don’t. You know that all obstacles will have answers, (which they do) and you stay way ahead of this in your mind. Pre-plan the goals before, otherwise they will not happen.

I never had any doubt that I would ski again. I had doubt and knew that limitations would exist in the sport. I knew and accepted this as fact and never was greedy. Apply this to your future goals......You will do this, the best way you can.

Karen will golf again. I have no doubt. She might not be able to drive a ball a mile, but she will need to accept this fact the same way I accepted my limitations in my skiing. (I’m an old freestyle big mountain skier 49th season)

Tin man. Nope. I don’t buy it anymore.
            Straw man... possibly. lol

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

My surgeon never mentioned PT. Just walking, every day, twice a day, which I did for a year. I must say, the walking brings back your strength quickly. Makes you feel alive again.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I haven't been prescribed OP PT either. I will ask about it at my 6 week post op appt next week. So far I'm doing a half hour walk each day, plus I climb up and down my stairs at home.

Appears each doctor has their own ideas about post op care, as well as their opinions about when one can return to work. My surgeon said about 3 months, but his nurse later said that realistically it could be up to 6 months. I'm in no rush. Just like Ed says, take it slow and easy.
                Laurie
                Age 57
                Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
                Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
                Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
                Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
                Dr Munish Gupta
                UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Comment

Hi, Chris!

I was also confused by the PT orders, as was Dr. Geck's nurse. She asked him, and told me it was okay if I wanted it, but not required. I'm going to skip it, but only because I don't have any more PT benefits until next year, so it would be completely out of pocket (which I can't afford). Plus I'm having other issues right now that are using up all of my energy.

It sounds like you're doing well since discharge! Keep up the good work.
                  Juliet, age 57
                  37˚ lumbar and 35˚ thoracic with rotation
                  Diagnosed at age 11 and untreated.
                  Total degeneration of disc at L4-5, spondylolisthesis at L4, L5 sacralized.
                  Surgery on 10/26/10
                  Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine & Scoliosis, Center, Austin, TX.
                  University Medical Center @ Brackenridge Hospital.
                  Posterior fusion of T11-S1, part minimally invasive; TLIF at L4-5.

Comment

well me and laurie has the same surgeon he didn't have do PT because shince i was doing so well with PT while i was in the hospital at UCD
                    Kara
                    Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                    Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                    T4-L2
                    Before 50T
                    After 20T

Comment

Working...
                    X