Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curious would you not have surgery if your not having back pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious would you not have surgery if your not having back pain?

I often wondered if you would avoid surgery if your scoliosis is not causing back pain?

If your living pain free and can function well, no issues with internal organs...would you continue living and avoid surgery and its complications.

I read that scoliosis pt can have a long healthy life.

If your having pain....surgery makes sense.

Did your child have pain?

What was the deciding factor for surgery? Is it just degrees of a curve or is there more involved.
    age 15
    Daughter diagnosed at age 13
    T20 l23 10-09
    T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
    T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
    T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
    Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
    Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love

My daughter has both Scoliosis and Kyphosis and never had pain from either. The reason we decided to do surgery was because although she was skeletally mature, her curves continued to progress.

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Pain rarely becomes part of the equation in making the decision about whether an adolescent or teen should have surgery. At that age, it's really all about progression.
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

This is a great question and something I'm struggling with right now as I'm (luckily) not in a lot pain.

Linda or May Lou -- could either of you explain why progression without pain is a reason for surgery? From what I understand the severity of the curve is not necessarily relative to the severity of the pain, so isn't it possible for a curve to progress and yet you never need surgery?
        1993, Age 13, 53* Right T Curve w/ Left L compensatory
        2010, Age 30, 63* or 68* (depending on the doc) Right T Curve w/ Left L compensatory

http://livingtwisted.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mehera View Post
          This is a great question and something I'm struggling with right now as I'm (luckily) not in a lot pain.

Linda or May Lou -- could either of you explain why progression without pain is a reason for surgery? From what I understand the severity of the curve is not necessarily relative to the severity of the pain, so isn't it possible for a curve to progress and yet you never need surgery?
          Yes, it's entirely possible to have a large curve and no pain. I know several people with curves over 100 degrees who describe no pain. The reason for an adolescent/teen to have surgery when there is progression, with or without pain, is to keep the curve(s) from becoming very severe. Large lumbar curves don't usually cause medical problems, but can result in pain and deformity. Large thoracic curves can cause heart and lung issues in addition to pain and deformity.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

My daughter was 15 and having a lot of pain/discomfort in her lumbar curve which was 60'sh at the time of surgery. It became progressively more painful after 40 deg. It was a necessity for quality of life in her case.

If she hadn't had any pain, I still think it would have been necessary to go ahead with surgery because of the degree of her curves, there was almost 100% chance it would progress into adulthood. I think you need to consider the risk of progression, the chances they would need surgery sooner rather than later and how if would impact their life as an adult to wait. The other major factor to consider is length of fusion. It seems to me that kids who have thoracic fusions do very well, recover quickly and don't have the limitations that a lumbar fusion impose. My dd is fused down to L4 and now has the one disc working for her below the fusion, Dr. Lenke said it's very likely she'll need additional surgery down the road.

On the other hand, there's a good chance there will be surgical advances and waiting 10 or more years would allow you to benefit from them. You only need to look back to see how things have improved.

Comment

Wow, I just looked at the pics of your daughter in PB and what an incredible difference in the before and after pics.
              Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
              Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
              Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
              http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

My head feels as though it's going to explode; so much information here. I really don't think it's possible to retain all this information that I've collected in two days and I need to give it all some time to sink in.

Like I said before, the degree of the curve(s) isn't something I remember the doc telling me but honestly I'm somewhat recalling a number around 38* and the doc shaking his head as though he was telling me he's sorry and that there's no one on this island that is qualified to look at him and Vancouver it is.

At the time I was annoyed that there was no one on this island that would/could look at him and we had to travel to the mainland, but now I'm just hopeful that we get to actually see Dr. Riley any time soon.

I need to look more into the Shriners I think.
                Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Thanks for your input, so surgery was decided not based on pain factor but of curve progression. Imagine it was after a certain degree as the critical time to consider surgery. Is there a standard curve degree that surgery is needed? After 60 degrees? After 40 degrees? And imagine type of curve, age, progression, and degrees of curve are all factors. Interesting that pain is not a major factor.

This condition, is very dynamic...and a mystery.
                  age 15
                  Daughter diagnosed at age 13
                  T20 l23 10-09
                  T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
                  T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
                  T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
                  Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
                  Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbluefrog View Post
                    Thanks for your input, so surgery was decided not based on pain factor but of curve progression. Imagine it was after a certain degree as the critical time to consider surgery. Is there a standard curve degree that surgery is needed? After 60 degrees? After 40 degrees? And imagine type of curve, age, progression, and degrees of curve are all factors. Interesting that pain is not a major factor.

This condition, is very dynamic...and a mystery.
                    As far as I can tell, 50* is a widely held surgery trigger for kids though the decision to fuse can be made at <50* with proven progression. My one daughter was below the surgical trigger when we made the call and was well over the trigger point about 2 months later. Of course her curve moved at ~5*/month for all observation periods until fusion It never moved less between radiographs than 5*/month so the call was obvious.

I saw one testimonial where a kid was recommended to be fused just to save lumbar levels in a TL curve per the report from the parent on what the surgeon recommended. I am saying I don't think there was necessarily progression also as I recall. If so, that is another reason to fuse earlier than 50* or <50* plus progression... to try to save levels in the lumbar.
                    Last edited by Pooka1; 01-09-2011, 08:58 PM.
                    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Well my spine surgeon (Dr Gupta) at uc davis said that most doctors say scoliosis is painless but he said that he don't think like that scoliosis is painful
                      Kara
                      Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                      Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                      T4-L2
                      Before 50T
                      After 20T

Comment

Working...
                      X