4wk 3day update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4wk 3day update

Hi y'all! I am up and at 'em for the time being! I know that when I was contemplating surgery I used to look at updates to see how people fared and how quickly. So here goes.... I had a really rough weekend. My 16 mos. old was home, hubby home MOST of day, 6 year old also at home. I had oxycontin reduction Saturday to once daily. I really don't like the way it makes me feel so I decided to take it at night and just the vicodin if needed during the day. BIG mistake, the difference between the pain was nuts. 16mo. old was teething molars, wanting picked up which I can't do. Both kids came down with flu Sat. night. Then came the time change. I was up late, kids were up early. BAD weekend. Monday comes, hubby gets flu, 16 mo old goes to grandma's for the week and to daycare (which is where the flu came from I just up and quit all my meds and decided to only take when REALLY needed. I will say Monday was trying. I felt stiff and icky all day long, made myself walk 1/4 mile as always twice that day. Tues. felt better, had a hint of the flu but no puking thank goodness as I can't even sneeze without automatically taking in sharp breath, therefore stopping sneeze, can't imagine how I'd vomit. Tues. 6 yo sick at night, This morning, woke up stiff but strangely low on pain. I showered, walked, kept 6 year old home from school, took her to dr. on my own (30 min. from home, we live in country), went to pharmacy and went to visit 16 mo. old at grandma's (who now has the flu , cooked supper, had to take 1 vicodin about 4:30 and I layed down to watch movie with DD and do homework, now I am back up and thinking of a late run to walmart. That's it in a nutshell. I'm hoping for more days like today, I really think getting out helped and off the narcotic.
    Heidi
    35 year old mother of 2 lil girls
    60 degree thoracic
    44 degree lumbar
    Oct. 11, 2010 surgery
    Dr. Lenke St. Louis
    1 year follow up: 15 degree thoracic, 22 lumbar
    fused T1 to L1

Amazing. Good for you that you are up and about and taking care of kids--AND off narcotics!!! Thanks for showing us it's no walk in the park, but you are DOING it. Appreciate your story.

Evelyn
    age 48
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

I'm in awe! Such determination! Glad it paid off for you, and I hope every day is better and better.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Heidi,

Sorry your weekend was so awful, but you are one tough cookie!

We have a cold going through our family, kids had it mildly last week, now hubby has it, and guess what, my throat is a little sore and I feel a little run down this AM. I agree, sneezing is agony! My lower ribs are so stiff in back that a full sneeze is excruciating.

Is your doc allowing you to drive already?? I feel like I could drive, and would like to, but I e-mailed my surgeon's office and was told he doesn't usually allow driving until one is out of the brace, which for me is 12 weeks!! Yikes, I am going to be in the funny farm by then. I have a 6 week appt coming up in a week and a half, so I will plead and beg then for permission to drive. I am off narcotics too, so I don't know why I couldn't, unless it has to do with the pelvic fixation and fusion of bilat SI joints.

Anyway, I've been thinking of my fellow Oct 11th buddy, so I'm glad to hear you're hanging in.

Take care,

Gayle
        Gayle, age 50
        Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
        Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
        Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
        2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
        2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

You are both amazing. Sorry to hear about the sickness. Wishing you well.

I was told that I could drive, with the brace, when I get off narcotics. I will have the Jewitt brace for 10-12 weeks.

I only hope I can get around as well as you in this short period of time.

Wishing you a continued, "uneventful," recovery. Sounds like you've had enough events.

Comment

Wow! You are tough. Hope the flu gets past soon. Thanks for taking the time to post.
            Stephanie, age 56
            Diagnosed age 8
            Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
            Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
            Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
            Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
            Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
            Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

Gayle, my Oct. 11 buddy, good to hear from you! Yeah, doc gave me permission once off the narcs (one more reason I self weaned, lol) I am not however in a brace so that may make a difference, you sound like you're doing well also. Thanks to all who have posted. It helps to hear encouragement and good advice from friends who are all in the same boat to speak,
              Last edited by Heidiv2; 11-11-2010, 01:34 PM.
              Heidi
              35 year old mother of 2 lil girls
              60 degree thoracic
              44 degree lumbar
              Oct. 11, 2010 surgery
              Dr. Lenke St. Louis
              1 year follow up: 15 degree thoracic, 22 lumbar
              fused T1 to L1

Comment

Working...
              X