Teeth cleaning before surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teeth cleaning before surgery?

Ok. I thought of another question. It's gonna be a long 2 months!!!! LOL. I remember hearing about not having dental work/cleanings done just prior or just after surgery due to the chance of bacteria getting in the bloodstream. Has anyone out there been told this?? If so, how long prior? I have my routine cleaning 3 weeks before the surgery and I'm wondering about cancelling it.....
    Jenee'-52
    Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
    Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
    I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
    9 hours
    T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
    Non-fusion
    Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Well i didn't hear my surgeon say that but i think it be a good idea to cancel it. but in a paper i got from uc davis spine program it say to let your dentist now that you have metal in your back so that he or she to prescribe antibiotic coverage to prevent bacterical infection (seeding) around the hardware this will need to as long the hardware is in your body
    Kara
    Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
    Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
    T4-L2
    Before 50T
    After 20T

Comment

Ask your surgeon.

Our surgeon said prophylactic antibiotic is unnecessary for dental work in the case of spinal fusion. It is only necessary for joint replacement IIRC.

My one kid needed to have some teeth removed and when the surgeon didn't prescribe the antibiotics, the oral surgeon did as I recall. It's getting harder and harder to recall things like this.
      Last edited by Pooka1; 11-07-2010, 02:44 PM.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

like someone else said, ask the surgeon. Since my surgery, I have to take antibiotics 1 hour before dental work, or any other procedure that isn't a 'clean' procedure, which is anything in the mouth, any gynecological procedure, and I don't know what else. I didn't have to take antibiotics prior to having a mole removed because that was 'clean.'

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Jenee - i have a prolapsed valve and my dentist routinely has me take an antibiotic anytime i have dental work done, even cleanings, for the reasons you stated. All my mayor dental work is done so it is only cleanings I face and the antibiotic is only prescribed for that day.

Comment

Jenee

Like Sharon said, ask your surgeon.

If you can get an e-mail address for communication purposes, that would be the way to go. That way you can have questions answered. See if you can get your surgeons assistant’s e-mail for questions. I would ask just 2 or 3 questions at a time, as they are busy people. The telephone is a thing of the past.....lets face it.

Dr Menmuir sent me to the dentist for a check up and cleaning. He didn’t want me having any “dental” surprises during my recovery. I did this about 3-4 weeks before my scoli surgeries. When going for cleanings after, I had a bottle of antibiotics and had to take them before going in. I stopped the antibiotics for the dentist I believe about 9 months post. Dr Menmuir selected the antibiotics and the amount.

I actually go to a periodontist every 3 months to have my teeth cleaned...I know that sounds quite often, but its preventive maintainence.... I use both a perio and a dentist to cover all the bases.

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Wow, who knew? I had some dental work done (very minor, just a quick filling but not even for a full cavity) a few weeks prior to surgery. I didn't even call my surgeon to ask if that was ok. Oops.

I have a cleaning scheduled for next week actually, and since I saw this topic (thankfully) I called my surgeon's office. They informed me that yes, for the rest of my life I need to take antibiotics for dental work even cleanings.

I have to say I'm annoyed that this was never brought to my attention before I asked. On a total side note, I'm a little disappointed with the follow-up with my surgeon at the moment! That is an important thing to note to your patient! ugh...

Comment

It sounds like this definitely varies from surgeon to surgeon. My daughter was called in early for surgery, and we happened to have a cleaning scheduled about a week prior. Our surgeon said to go ahead and get it done, but he is also recommending the antiobiotic for dental cleanings after surgery, and I'm pretty sure that's for two years. We have not had another cleaning yet, but will, soon, so thanks for the reminder!
                Jill, mom to 14-year-old daughter who had spinal fusion surgery (T3 to L1) June 21, 2010. (Pre-op curves 52T and 30L.)

Comment

I’m wondering if the surgeons dictate this by each persons immune system? Can they tell by a persons blood work?

If someone keeps taking antibiotics, will that person eventually build up an immunity? If an infection happens in the future, will fighting it be compromised due to this?

Good questions for those currently communicating with their surgeons.
                  Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

This thread has got me confused. I did ask my surgeon if I'd need antibiotics before going to the dentist and he said no. If other surgeons are saying yes, there must be at least a small risk?
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Well, it sounds like it varies from doctor to doctor. Probably not something to be too concerned about. I think we tend to cover our bases, just in case. Better safe than sorry. I'm sure there have been many surgeries performed after dental procedures with no complications. I just like to be prepared!

I personally don't believe taking an antibiotic once or twice a year would be too dangerous unless you are the type who runs to the doc and gets a prescription every time you get a sniffle or cough. Yes, believe it or not, there are still doctors out there who overprescribe the stuff, even with all the information out there about overuse and the superbugs that are resistant to antibiotics. My hubby is a pharmacist, and still sees it happening. Sad and scary....
                      Jenee'-52
                      Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
                      Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
                      I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
                      9 hours
                      T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                      Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
                      Non-fusion
                      Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

...and just another note it sounds like we're all talking about 2 different things.. dental work before surgery and after. Either way, there is mixed reviews!

I am just not clear why they worry about bacteria getting into the bloodstream and "attaching" to the metal, "forever" in my case. If you are otherwise a healthy person, why would we worry about this?

Comment

I went to a Fusion class at New England Baptist with my mom who will be having cervical fusions. The bulk of it concerned spinal fusions, a highlight for me. The nurse giving the presentation did emphasize that one needs to take antibiotics for dental work forever. She also mentioned that infections did like to hang on to hardware and she said "even UTI's" which threw me a little since I do get those occasionally ever since I was 12, for no reason whatsoever. She passed around a section of spine, plastic model of some kind, with and without instrumentation. I was ready to take that instrumented one home with me! Held on to it the longest time and was reluctant to pass it around. We are also living in a climate of "err on the side of caution", especially with the hospitals that are very concerned about infection.
                          Amy
                          58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                          Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                          Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                          2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                          Exercising to correct

Comment

This is the first time I have heard about taking antibiotics for dental work. My six-month cleaning is in February. My surgery is in December.

Will I be able to lie down in a dentist's chair?

Should I try to get the cleaning done now before surgery?

Suggestions?
                            Thanks.
                            Irene

Comment

Originally posted by foofer View Post
                              I went to a Fusion class at New England Baptist with my mom who will be having cervical fusions. The bulk of it concerned spinal fusions, a highlight for me. The nurse giving the presentation did emphasize that one needs to take antibiotics for dental work forever. She also mentioned that infections did like to hang on to hardware and she said "even UTI's" which threw me a little since I do get those occasionally ever since I was 12, for no reason whatsoever. She passed around a section of spine, plastic model of some kind, with and without instrumentation. I was ready to take that instrumented one home with me! Held on to it the longest time and was reluctant to pass it around. We are also living in a climate of "err on the side of caution", especially with the hospitals that are very concerned about infection.
                              Amy, Dr. Rand told me he didn't think it was necessary for me to take antibiotics prior to dental cleanings. I think you can build up a resistant strain of bacteria by taking antibiotics. The subject never came up when I went to the fusion class at the Baptist. Check out the American Dental Association web site. They may have something to say about it.
                              Sally
                              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                              X