hello from the other side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello from the other side

Hi, i made it !! it's been horrible the last few days but surgery went well and correction is very good said the surgeon, i'm now being taken care and start walking a little
    thx for your support
    Rapha Male 24, France 6'8
    Surgery Nov 3rd 2010
    Passuti MD Nantes, France. 55* thoracic curve with hypokyphosis, no compensatory curve

congrats

So glad to hear that your surgery went well. Every day should be a little easier. I hope that you will post more about the surgery once feeling up to it. Take it easy and get lots of rest!!!!!!!
    Lindsay

mom of Kyra 6 yrs old
    thoracic curve 70 degrees
    bracing-2005-2006
    serial casting-2007-2008
    chiropractic- 2010
    growth rod insertion 11/16/2010
    curve post surgery - 25 degrees

Comment

Glad your surgery was a success! Best of luck with a smooth recovery!
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Wow glad you are well.

For some reason I thought you said you were up on 9 November. Did they move it up or am I misremembering?

Anyway, congratulations.

ETA: I was wrong... clearly says 3 November in the other thread.
        Last edited by Pooka1; 11-06-2010, 07:27 PM.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Way to go! You must be glad to be on the other side....keep up the good healing!
          Amy
          58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
          Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
          Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
          2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
          Exercising to correct

Comment

Hey, good for you and posting so soon! Congratulations and I hope your recovery is smooth and uneventful! Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

well for those who are about de go through this, i'd say the hard part is the 2-3 first days, hours passed like days trying to think of myself being somewhere else.
              I think the surgeon moved up from T3-L1. i started eating again, and i have no more tube or drain coming out of my body. I'm staying in the hospital til the 15th and then go to a reeducation center for 3 weeks, (i'm not sure how it's called in the us)
              Surgery Nov 3rd 2010
              Passuti MD Nantes, France. 55* thoracic curve with hypokyphosis, no compensatory curve

Comment

Welcome to the other side and keep up the good recovery!!
                Age 56
                Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
                Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
                Thoracic 68
                Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
                Dr Bridwell St Louis
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

it's easier day after day, got back to full meals last night, exercice this morning, i'm still on pain meds though, the xray of my back looks nice it looks like the curve is now around 15. i havent seen the surgeon since saturday though so i'm not sure.
                  I was wondering if my lordosis curve is gonna adapt my new kyphosis curve or stay flat
                  Surgery Nov 3rd 2010

Comment

congrats!

you must be doing well
                    no way would i have been able to post so early
                    like everyone says, keep moving, keep walking!
                    junosand
                    59 yo recently retired otolaryngologist (ENT surgeon)
                    schedule oct 2010 for T11 - sacrum fusion, all posterior approach with pedicle screws, steels rods, revision decompression left L3-4, right L4-5 & L5-S1, transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion L3-4 L4-5 L5-S1
                    with titanium cages
                    Dr Lenke, WashU/Barnes/Jewish St. Louis

Comment

Hi i'm giving some news about my recovery.
                      I'm doing a little better every day, but one thing is bothering me, i feel like my rib hump is coming back day after day, i dont know if it's real or not but i'm starting to regret the surgeon didnt do the thoracoplasty while i was on the table because he though the correction was good enough. did this happen to any of you?
                      Surgery Nov 3rd 2010

Comment

I think in those early days, we can imagine things are changing/worsening but just to be sure, can you ask for x-rays specifically to check? It might put your mind at ease. I didn't have a thorocoplasty and my rib hump has gone. I believe it's to do with the amount of derotation the surgeon can achieve. Others might be able to clarify that point for me.

Anyway, it's great to have another safely over on *this* side.
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by Rafa9876 View Post
                          Hi i'm giving some news about my recovery.
                          I'm doing a little better every day, but one thing is bothering me, i feel like my rib hump is coming back day after day, i dont know if it's real or not but i'm starting to regret the surgeon didnt do the thoracoplasty while i was on the table because he though the correction was good enough. did this happen to any of you?
                          Hey I'm glad you are heading in the right direction with recovery.

In re your feeling that the rotation is returning, I would ask you surgeon.

Did he take a side view radiograph? Are the rods almost superimposed or less superimposed as you go further out from surgery?

Did he use all or mostly pedicle screws? It is my understanding that pedicle screws are so effective at derotation that thoracoplasties are rarely needed but I would ask a surgeon about that.

Good luck.
                          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Never regret or second guess what has happened in your surgery. Do the best with what you have and make the best of it.

The only way to prove any changes would be through x-rays, and without those, there should be no worry’s

You will have many strange feelings in your recovery over the next months, adaptability is key. You will adapt sucessfully!

Keep walking and eat right.

One day at a time
                            Ed
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I think you're tight titanuimed, there's no point in focusing on it.
                              As i think the surgeon's work 's been overall, i should also feel lucky not to have any complication and that my fusion only stops at L1. Lots of people here would gladly take my place.
                              And i'm sure you'll think the reduction is great when l'll post before/after photos on the thread over the next few weeks.
                              I'm just being a little picky because even though i feel fine physically, i broke in tears last night when the nurse asked me if i was ok. I felt like my body's slave and was tired of the "stiff" feeling ( which is nothing compared to the first few days after surgery)
                              I still have 2 more days to spend at the hospital before going to physical therapy
                              which is closer to home and where friends will be able to visit me.
                              I'm holdin on
                              Surgery Nov 3rd 2010

Comment

Working...
                              X