Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My story

I'm Kara I'm 18 years old I had my Spinal Fusion almost 8 months ago
    July 20 2009 me and my parents went to Shriners in Sacramento for my 1st appt with Dr Gupta. We check in at the nurse desk. A while later a nurse called my name Kara. We followed her to get my vitals signs done. Then we followed her to a room. A little while later the door opened. It was a orthopedic resident who was helping Dr Gupta that day. Well he was doing that we talked he ask how are? I’m 17 years old. What grade are you in? when school starts 12 grade. Then he started to get back on to topic. He saw my foot was also a mess. He asked if i ever had foot surgery then i said no. He examied my Spine. Then he went to track done a reflex hammer. But then he said I’m not having luck. Then he went to get Dr Gupta. Both of them came in to the room. He said I’m not having luck. Then he went to get dr Gupta. Both of them came in to the room. He incuse him. He had a reflex hammer and tested them. Then Dr Gupta ask how are? I’m 17 years old. What grade are you in? when school starts 12 grade. Then he got back to the subject my scoliosis. He notice my foot has a rare disorder he ask if they done surgery on my foot my mom said no. Then he exam my Spine. He said bend over so I can exam you spine. He said Kara bend over even more. I did bend over more. He said please stand up. When do you turn 18 Kara? In February. What let me see when there scheduling surgeries. There scheduling surgeries hear in February. I guess well do it at uc Davis medical center. November 17 2009 I had my 2nd appt with Dr Gupta. Now my appts with him is at Uc Davis Spine center. We check in at the nurses desk. Then a nurse called my name Kara. Then we followed him to get my vitals signs done. Then we followed him to a room that said Gupta. I had to wait for Dr Gupta for a copple of hours. Then i was really sad when i saw him come in. My mom said that she though that you guys forgot about her. Then Dr Gupta said we well never do that. He told me to calm down. Then he said that i do need a spinal fusion down soon because my cuvres was aready big at 53* and 39*.
    March 9 2010 me and my parents went to UCDSC for my preop appt with Dr Gupta. We check in at the nurses desk. Then a nurse called my name Kara. we follow with to get my vital done. my
    BP was really high because i was scared. We followed him to a room that said gupta. a little while later a orthopedic resident came in to the room. he said i'm Dr Tom. He examied me he said you may not like me because i will becoming in at 5 A.M and changeing ou bandaids. he said it look like your 18 Kara you get to sign the consent forms. he said i be right back Kara. then a copple mins later the door was knock on it was Dr Gupta and Dr Tom. Good morning Dr Gupta said. are you really for tomorrow Kara he said. I said yes i'm ready for tommorrow Dr Gupta. Dr Tom was started to feel sad for me. Dr Gupta explain the surgery to me and my parents. He also examied me. He said i need you to get some now x-rays Kara. we went to go get the x-rays done. After that me and my parents went to the ACC for my Lab work. I had my preop testing the day beefore my surgery.
    March 10 2010 i had to get up at 5 A.M to get my shower. after my shower i got just in my sweats i wear over to the hospital. I check in at 6 A.M at the hospital. A nurse called my name Kara me and my mom followed her to my preop holding room. that where i had to change in to a gown. after i was in my hospital gown i got on to my bed. my mom went to get my dad, grandma, aunt. I had pic taken with my mom, also one with my dad and grandma, also one with my grandma and aunt. At 10 A.M I went to the 2nd floor (surgical floor). my mom came with me. i saw Dr Gupta in his scrubs and surgical hat (my spine surgeon). for some reason he had his hands on my feet. he asked my are you ready for your spinal fusion I said yes. he said that really great Kara. after that he went to scrub in. i also met my sleepy Dr and nureo Dr. My surgery took a total of 8 hours it started at 10 A.M end at 6 P.M. my surgeon came out and talked to my family and said Kara's surgery went really well. the day after surgery i was mainy sleepy. the 2nd day i was fully awake. the 3rd day they move me to the 14 floor (orthopedic unit). the 4th day i walked with pt later that day i went to get some x-rays for Dr Gupta. the 5th day i walked with pt again. the 6th day i walked agang with pt. the 7th day i went to get to standing x-rays for Dr Gupta. after i came back from x-ray i saw Dr Gupta for the 1st time shine my spinal fusion. He is the most caring preson I have ever met. i out for 6 weeks off school. my surgeon said he did not went me to go back to school until he saw me on the 20 of april. but i got really sick after i was release for the hospital so i had to go to the uvmc ER. they said i had a infecian. but a copple of my stiches were infeced. i had to go back on march 30 2010. Dr Gupta said i probley did had sucer abseces. i had to go back on june 8 2010 for a post op appt this time i did not have the walker. we check in at the nurse desk.

I told her i just graduated from high school 3 days ago she said congratulations. after that me and my mom went to go to x-ray want to get 2 x-rays done for my Dr appt with Dr Gupta. The nurse at x-ray said i can keep my bracelet and my ring on. the x-ray tech said i hear you tell her that you graduated from high school. he asked me what my plans wear after high school i said to become a nurse hear at uc davis spine center. Then me and my mom went back to the waiting room. After a little while later a nurse called my name Kara. We followed here to get my vitals sighs done. We followed her to a room this said gupta. A little while later a orthopedic resident came in to the room. the orthopedic resident examed me. then she said i'll be right back kara. Dr Tseng went to go find Dr Gupta and Dr Luna. Then Drs Gupta and Luna and Tseng came in to the room. Drs Gupta and Luna was shocked that Dr Tseng was right was right that i did graduated from high school. Dr Gupta asked what do you have there Kara? Then I gave him his plaque that i made him. Then he said how sweet Kara did you see this Luna. Then Dr Gupta asked what are these numbers mean Kara. Then Dr Luna said I think that before and after surgery Dr Gupta. Then we all laugh. Then Dr Gupta said this is nice Kara i'm going to hang this on my office wall. They saw my serior pic. Then Dr Gupta said is that Kara? Then I said yes that me. Then Dr Luna and Dr Gupta said that a real great pic of you Kara. Then Dr Gupta said I want to see how you walk Kara. I walk to Dr Tseng. After that Dr Gupta had me bend over so he can take look at my back. He asked me to bend over. Dr Gupta clap when he saw me bend. Drs Luna and Gupta said you can barley tell you had scoliosis. Then Dr Gupta and Me had a pic take with each other. Dr Luna did too have a pic taken with me to. June 13 2010 i was release from uc davis medical center. June 12 2010 i fell on my back at the at the people 1st confrence in sacramento california I had to go back to the hospital where i had my scoliosis surgery at uc davis medical center. They took a load of x-rays. After that they took me back to the ER. So I can wait for some of the orthopedic residents. Then after i meet then one of them said i may need a CT scan done in the morning. After I when Upstairs to the 14th orthopedic floor. After a stressful night on the orthopedic floor. I saw Dr Luna and a copple of the residents I met in the ER. Dr Luna Examed me the same way as one of the residents did in the ER. Dr Luna said I still have the pic of you and Dr Gupta in my camera. Then He said I looked at your x-rays and they look fine. I'm going to zoom in to take closer look at the x-rays to just make sure every thing still in place ok sweety. I said ok Dr Luna. Let Me just take this neck coller off. Then after a while later they had me walk with PT. I walked with PT. Dr Luna came back and said look like everything is in it place. I have to go back to see doctor Gupta for a follow up in two weeks on june 29th 2010 because of that. my appt with my surgeon when really well. we check in at the nurses desk a nurse called my name kara we followed her to get my vitals done then we followed her to a room that said Gupta a little while later i Saw Dr Luna I don't remember what he said. Then Dr Tseng came in the room. She examied me to. Then She went to go find Dr Gupta. Then A while later the door opened. It was Dr Gupta and Dr Tseng. Dr Gupta was concern about my fall i chold tell. He had me do the same things i did a my 3 months postop vist.
    September 7th 2010 i had my 6 months postop vist at the Uc Davis Spine Center. My Aunt sharon and Grandma Nadine took me to my 6 months postop vist. We check in at the nurse desk. We went to X-ray to get my newst set of X-rays for Dr Gupta. We went back to the waiting room.
    Then a nurse called my name Kara. Then we followed her to get my vital signs. Then we followed her to a room that said Gupta. Then a copple mins later a orthopedic resident came in the room. He looked at my scar. Then he put the before and after x-rays on. Then he went to go find
    Dr Gupta. Then someone knock on the door. The door opened it was Dr Gupta and the orthopedic resident. Dr Gupta shoke my aunt and grandma hands. Then he looked at my x-rays. He asked how long has it been shince my spinal fusion surgery? I said it almost been 6 months shince my Spinal Fusion. He said I want to see you walk Kara. I walked for him. He said to bend over. Dr Gupta took a look at my spine took see how it was healing and doing. Then I heard Dr Gupta say my name for the 1st time. He said I want to see you back hear in 6 months so sometime in March of 2011.
    Kara
    Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
    Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
    T4-L2
    Before 50T
    After 20T
Working...
X