Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am RECOVERING from 2nd surgery to correct saggital balance!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am RECOVERING from 2nd surgery to correct saggital balance!

Hi everyone,
    I was on here a month or so ago. I had some very bad problems after my first surgery on July 1st, 2010. I had surgery the first time to correct a scoliosis problem caused from a 4 yr. old fusion done on my lower back. Anyway, to try and shorten this-it didn't work. I ended up bent forward and couldn't walk without trying to pull myself up. And the surgeon admitted that they should have gone farther up to T2 INSTEAD OF T10. I had flat back syndrome as well as saggital imbalance. I had been fused from my pevis to T10. NOW ON OCT 20TH THE SURGEONS WENT BACK IN AND CORRECTED THIS BY EXTENDING THE RODS UP TO T2 AND DOING AN OSTEOTOMY ON L3. This pulled me back and up so as to stand straight . I am two weeks out and doing pretty well. I have to wear a brace this time. (didn't the first time) I can walk without any problem as far as standing up straight. I am a little weak yet. I do have pain in the area that they extended the rods on up. Hoping that will let up as I heal. I am doing very well compared to the first time. Just wanted to let you all know what happened to me. Especially NAPTOWN78. I think you had the same thing happen to you. I could have put this on" revision surgeries." And I probably will. I didn't have any choice as to wheather I had this surgery or not. I was headed for the wheel chair. Oh-I hated going back in to surgery 3 months later. I WAS SCARED!! But it was worth it-although that first few days was hell. I hope ya all are doing well. We need to keep each other in our prayers. As these are such invasive surgeries, that we need to hold on to our faith, and pray for the best. God Bless You All! bboomer
    Last edited by babyboomer16; 11-04-2010, 02:14 PM. Reason: not finished
    Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
    Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
    This started adult onset scoliosis
    July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
    Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
    Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
    May 30th 2013 revision
    May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
    May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

congratulations, bboomer...for your courage, as well as the results...may you heal more each day!

jess

Comment

So glad to hear you are in recovery mode and finally doing well. It must have been so tough going back in for surgery after only three month out from the previous one. We do what we have to do to keep out of that wheel chair. God bless you also. Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Boomer,
        I am so so glad you are doing well! That was fast! The last time you were on, I think you were still deciding on whether to get a second opinion, and now you are a few weeks post op!!! Can you stand up straight? Get lots of rest, walk lots, and pretty soon you will be good as new ;-)))
        May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Babyboomer,
          I can't imagine the guts it took for you to go back for another surgery so soon after your first. It sounds like it was definitely the right move and that you're doing much better.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by naptown78 View Post
            Boomer,
            I am so so glad you are doing well! That was fast! The last time you were on, I think you were still deciding on whether to get a second opinion, and now you are a few weeks post op!!! Can you stand up straight? Get lots of rest, walk lots, and pretty soon you will be good as new ;-)))
            Yes naptown78~~ I am standing up straight. I went with the same surgeons, as I am located out in the boon- docs,plus they were honest about what happened. They just didn't go up far enough and they also had to do a osteotomy(sp) on L2 TO CORRECT FLATBACK. I feel much better now that I am balanced. I do have pain where they went up from T10 to T3. But, I am healing yet. It was a wicked surgery--I can't lie about it. Lots of pain the first couple days. I had 5 units of blood given to me. They kept me in ICU for two days, to control the pain and other things. Hope you are doing good.! It helped me so much to read your posts before I had this done. babyboomer16
            Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
            Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
            This started adult onset scoliosis
            July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
            Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
            Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
            May 30th 2013 revision
            May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
            May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

WOW. You are brave. All the best to you !!
              Chris
              A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
              Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
              Post-op curve: 12 degrees
              Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

You've done it the hard way babyboomer, but it sounds like it's finally paid off. It must have taken great courage - and desperation - to go back to theatre so soon. I can't imagine how hard that must have been. I hope your recovery goes smoothly and it isn't long before you're free of that pain. Hopefully, a little better every day. Keep walking!
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

What great news, babyboomer! I have been thinking about you and are sooo glad you feel much better! You are a very brave person.

Keep us updated on your progress!

JenM
                  Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
                  Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
                  Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
                  Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
                  31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

Great to hear they fixed you! And that they were honest about the problem. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
                    Age 56
                    Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
                    Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
                    Thoracic 68
                    Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
                    Dr Bridwell St Louis
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

I admire your courage for going in so soon. Happy to read that all is well. Best wishes for a continued smooth recovery.
                      Vali
                      44 years young! now 45
                      Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                      Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                      St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                      Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                      Post -op - 5 degrees
                      T11 - S1 Posterior
                      L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Babyboomer. So happy to hear this surgery went well, and sounds like you have a great result. I agree, you are brave to push ahead until your spine was right. Also good to hear the 2nd surgery was not as hard of a recovery as the first one, though I'm sure this has been very hard on you.
                        Debra
                        Age 45
                        Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
                        Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
                        Fused T4-T12
                        Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
                        Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

my best

i can't imagine how depressed it would make me to have to have a revision, especially so soon; my heart really goes out to you
                          junosand
                          59 yo recently retired otolaryngologist (ENT surgeon)
                          schedule oct 2010 for T11 - sacrum fusion, all posterior approach with pedicle screws, steels rods, revision decompression left L3-4, right L4-5 & L5-S1, transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion L3-4 L4-5 L5-S1
                          with titanium cages
                          Dr Lenke, WashU/Barnes/Jewish St. Louis

Comment

Soon things will start to get easier for you as you heal. You have really been put through the ringer.

Its so hard for the surgeons to make calls on length and technique...

Hang in there and take it slow, you will do just fine.
                            Ed
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by babyboomer16 View Post
                              Yes naptown78~~ I am standing up straight. I went with the same surgeons, as I am located out in the boon- docs,plus they were honest about what happened. They just didn't go up far enough and they also had to do a osteotomy(sp) on L2 TO CORRECT FLATBACK. I feel much better now that I am balanced. I do have pain where they went up from T10 to T3. But, I am healing yet. It was a wicked surgery--I can't lie about it. Lots of pain the first couple days. I had 5 units of blood given to me. They kept me in ICU for two days, to control the pain and other things. Hope you are doing good.! It helped me so much to read your posts before I had this done. babyboomer16
                              Boomer,

Hang in there...Just the fact that you are standing up straight has got to make you feel much much better! It's amazing how being out of balance can make you so disabled and miserable. I would never have believed it had I not gone through it myself. The loss of blood was likely from your osteotomy. I lost 6 units myself. They had to cut into your bone marrow to make the osteotomy and I was warned ahead of time that it would be very bloody. I wore a brace too, for about 3 months. I know your feeling about not having a choice about going back in for more surgery. The difference between us was I waited almost 2 years! You were very brave and I admire you for that. I wish you all the best as you recover ;-)))
                              May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Working...
                              X