PDA

View Full Version : I am RECOVERING from 2nd surgery to correct saggital balance!

babyboomer16
11-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Hi everyone,
I was on here a month or so ago. I had some very bad problems after my first surgery on July 1st, 2010. I had surgery the first time to correct a scoliosis problem caused from a 4 yr. old fusion done on my lower back. Anyway, to try and shorten this-it didn't work. I ended up bent forward and couldn't walk without trying to pull myself up. And the surgeon admitted that they should have gone farther up to T2 INSTEAD OF T10. I had flat back syndrome as well as saggital imbalance. I had been fused from my pevis to T10. NOW ON OCT 20TH THE SURGEONS WENT BACK IN AND CORRECTED THIS BY EXTENDING THE RODS UP TO T2 AND DOING AN OSTEOTOMY ON L3. This pulled me back and up so as to stand straight . I am two weeks out and doing pretty well. I have to wear a brace this time. (didn't the first time) I can walk without any problem as far as standing up straight. I am a little weak yet. I do have pain in the area that they extended the rods on up. Hoping that will let up as I heal. I am doing very well compared to the first time. Just wanted to let you all know what happened to me. Especially NAPTOWN78. I think you had the same thing happen to you. I could have put this on" revision surgeries." And I probably will. I didn't have any choice as to wheather I had this surgery or not. I was headed for the wheel chair. Oh-I hated going back in to surgery 3 months later. I WAS SCARED!! But it was worth it-although that first few days was hell. I hope ya all are doing well. We need to keep each other in our prayers. As these are such invasive surgeries, that we need to hold on to our faith, and pray for the best. God Bless You All! bboomer

jrnyc
11-04-2010, 02:17 PM
congratulations, bboomer...for your courage, as well as the results...may you heal more each day!

jess

loves to skate
11-04-2010, 02:27 PM
So glad to hear you are in recovery mode and finally doing well. It must have been so tough going back in for surgery after only three month out from the previous one. We do what we have to do to keep out of that wheel chair. God bless you also. Sally

naptown78
11-04-2010, 02:53 PM
Boomer,
I am so so glad you are doing well! That was fast! The last time you were on, I think you were still deciding on whether to get a second opinion, and now you are a few weeks post op!!! Can you stand up straight? Get lots of rest, walk lots, and pretty soon you will be good as new ;-)))

golfnut
11-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Babyboomer,
I can't imagine the guts it took for you to go back for another surgery so soon after your first. It sounds like it was definitely the right move and that you're doing much better.

babyboomer16
11-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Boomer,
I am so so glad you are doing well! That was fast! The last time you were on, I think you were still deciding on whether to get a second opinion, and now you are a few weeks post op!!! Can you stand up straight? Get lots of rest, walk lots, and pretty soon you will be good as new ;-))) Yes naptown78~~ I am standing up straight. I went with the same surgeons, as I am located out in the boon- docs,plus they were honest about what happened. They just didn't go up far enough and they also had to do a osteotomy(sp) on L2 TO CORRECT FLATBACK. I feel much better now that I am balanced. I do have pain where they went up from T10 to T3. But, I am healing yet. It was a wicked surgery--I can't lie about it. Lots of pain the first couple days. I had 5 units of blood given to me. They kept me in ICU for two days, to control the pain and other things. Hope you are doing good.! It helped me so much to read your posts before I had this done. babyboomer16

Singer
11-04-2010, 05:26 PM
WOW. You are brave. All the best to you !!

JenniferG
11-04-2010, 07:53 PM
You've done it the hard way babyboomer, but it sounds like it's finally paid off. It must have taken great courage - and desperation - to go back to theatre so soon. I can't imagine how hard that must have been. I hope your recovery goes smoothly and it isn't long before you're free of that pain. Hopefully, a little better every day. Keep walking!

JenM
11-04-2010, 07:58 PM
What great news, babyboomer! I have been thinking about you and are sooo glad you feel much better! You are a very brave person.

Keep us updated on your progress!

JenM

LisaB
11-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Great to hear they fixed you! And that they were honest about the problem. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Vali
11-05-2010, 03:30 AM
I admire your courage for going in so soon. Happy to read that all is well. Best wishes for a continued smooth recovery.

Debra JGL
11-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Babyboomer. So happy to hear this surgery went well, and sounds like you have a great result. I agree, you are brave to push ahead until your spine was right. Also good to hear the 2nd surgery was not as hard of a recovery as the first one, though I'm sure this has been very hard on you.

junosand
11-05-2010, 03:00 PM
i can't imagine how depressed it would make me to have to have a revision, especially so soon; my heart really goes out to you

titaniumed
11-06-2010, 02:19 AM
Soon things will start to get easier for you as you heal. You have really been put through the ringer.

Its so hard for the surgeons to make calls on length and technique...

Hang in there and take it slow, you will do just fine.
Ed

naptown78
11-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Yes naptown78~~ I am standing up straight. I went with the same surgeons, as I am located out in the boon- docs,plus they were honest about what happened. They just didn't go up far enough and they also had to do a osteotomy(sp) on L2 TO CORRECT FLATBACK. I feel much better now that I am balanced. I do have pain where they went up from T10 to T3. But, I am healing yet. It was a wicked surgery--I can't lie about it. Lots of pain the first couple days. I had 5 units of blood given to me. They kept me in ICU for two days, to control the pain and other things. Hope you are doing good.! It helped me so much to read your posts before I had this done. babyboomer16

Boomer,

Hang in there...Just the fact that you are standing up straight has got to make you feel much much better! It's amazing how being out of balance can make you so disabled and miserable. I would never have believed it had I not gone through it myself. The loss of blood was likely from your osteotomy. I lost 6 units myself. They had to cut into your bone marrow to make the osteotomy and I was warned ahead of time that it would be very bloody. I wore a brace too, for about 3 months. I know your feeling about not having a choice about going back in for more surgery. The difference between us was I waited almost 2 years! You were very brave and I admire you for that. I wish you all the best as you recover ;-)))

foofer
11-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Babyboomer,

I concur with the others that it took great bravery to undergo more surgery, but what a victory for you.....I hope this is the last one ever and that your holidays are filled with uberhealing!!!

babyboomer16
11-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Thank to you all for the encouragement you are giving me. I am 2 weeks and 3 days out of surgery. The past couple days were a little tough. Probably did something to cause pain. Cause its been pretty bad. I also have a "funny smell" in my nose. Anybody ever have this happen? Hope nothing is wrong. I lost a couple crowns because of the surgery. I bit down hard apparently on the thing that they suck saliva out of your mouth, as I was in ICU.(so much for crowns) But I will call the Dr. if it doesn't go away. Anyway, its such a wicked surgery, that the body has lots to heal. Everyone have a good week-end. I will keep in touch. Thank-you so much ! babyboomer

Doodles
11-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Babyboomer--You are one brave soul. Congratulations on this second and now it seems very successful surgery. That's wonderful. Janet

Samuraitabbycat
11-30-2010, 12:26 AM
Hey Babyboomer16,
Do you have a curve in your lower back now like people who don't have scoliosis have? Or is your low back flast as a washboard like mine? I'm really glad you can stand up straight. That's great. Can you do it for very long? I'm sorry to appear so nosy, but if my rods went any higher they'd be in my neck, while all my curvature's from the waist down, so I guess my surgeon went up high enough, though I gotta tell you the top of the rods area gives me some pain now that I never had before surgery(ies). The dr. explained that the stress of motion has to be transferred to somewhere, and since my lower back is fused, the wiggle force goes to the top of the rods, which may be what's happening to youl Keep us posted. Wish I had your courage!