Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had my 1st surgery/OXYCODONE

Sorry to send such a late update.

At the end of Sept I had my 1st surgery. I had to have 2 disc in my neck 5 and 6 fused. One was so close to my spinal cord that if i had the spinal correction surgery 1st I could have been paralyzed from the neck down.

Keep in mind that in addition to this I have a bleeding disorder and a heart condition.

My surgery went ok, however, after the surgery I was not breathing too good and they sent me to ICU I woke up later that evening from my 6am surgery. I had bleeding in my throat it started to swell close.

There was talk about sending me back in to the OR to relieve the swelling. they tried a strong steroid 1st which worked. I got that around the clock and was released to a regular floor a day later. I spend 1 night on the ortho floor and was released the next day.

Since the other disc was smashing a nerve they thought it was the cause of my pain. it wasn't

So, I am debating on if i want to go ahead with my surgery b4 the holidays or not.

Oxycodone

I do not like this drug or the way it makes me feel. But its the only 1 drug i can take without adding drugs to it to get rid of my pain. I am afraid of addiction. my doc will put me on Oxycodine after my surgery again i am afraid of addiction.

WHAT has been your experience taking these drugs?
    addiction?
    did it take away after surgery pain?
    thanks

LaShawn
    LaShawn Hardy
    34 years old
    Sep 2010 C5-C6 fused
    36 degree curve Thoratic
    Lumbar natural fusion
    Surgery Date 1/31/2011
    T2-L1
    Dr. Herkowitz
    Heart Condition and Bleeding Disorder
    hoping they don't reschedule my surgery again

After my surgery and after I was off the pain pump and on oral meds, I was on 2 oxycodone a day; 1 every 12 hours. I was also on flexeril for muscle spasms and norco for pain every 4-6 hours. After 2 weeks I was down to one oxycodone a day and off the oxy by week 4. No addiction problems but they wanted me off it by week 4. I still took norco for pain and the flexeril for a few more weeks. Talk to your docs about your fears of addiction and I'm sure they'll put you on a safe schedule combined with other meds.
    Age 56
    Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
    Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
    Thoracic 68
    Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
    Dr Bridwell St Louis
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

I was on a pain pump for 24hrs post surgery, but asked to have it removed as i wasn't using it. They put me on Oxycodone 5mg/6hourly. This dose eased my discomfort - no problem. When i came home, i used it mainly at night so that i could get a good nights sleep and used either Panadol (paracetamol) or Panadeine Forte (Paracetamol/Codeine) as needed. I quit all my pain meds on day 15 post op and i was fine. If you are concerned, maybe speak with your Doctor or Anaethetist about pain relief. Best wishes.
      Vali
      44 years young! now 45
      Surgery - June 1st, 2009
      Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
      St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
      Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
      Post -op - 5 degrees
      T11 - S1 Posterior
      L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

I was on oxycodone for 6 weeks before starting to reduce it. By then, I had become dependant on it and had a couple of weeks of very unpleasant symptoms. It was probably the most unpleasant time of my recovery, but I was determined to get rid of it.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I am interested in how your neck surgery recovery went. I am scheduled to have 5-6-7 fused soon.

Thanks

Melissa

Comment

re:

it was perfect all the problems I had were not due to the surgery. I did not have to wear a brace.

I was the 1st one in and after I had problems breathing. I was taken to ICU and I woke up later that evening. The next day due to my bleeding disorder I had bleeding in my throat and it started to swell closed. the next day i was sent to a reg floor and it was smooth sailing from there.
            LaShawn Hardy
            34 years old
            Sep 2010 C5-C6 fused
            36 degree curve Thoratic
            Lumbar natural fusion
            Surgery Date 1/31/2011
            T2-L1
            Dr. Herkowitz

Comment

Hoping things go smoothly for you from her on in, LaShawn! Send us some updates, won't you?
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

LaSwawn

Yes, the Oxycodone is nasty. It didn’t cut it for me and my surgeon put me on Percoset 7.5 which is basically the same thing with Tylenol.

Try to think of these meds as being temporary. What happens is you do end up building up an immunity to these drugs, and eventually they don’t perform as well for pain. Weaning down also elevates pain levels, you just have to try to balance and wean in a slow and controlled manner, your surgeon can help with this. I went through 2 sets of withdrawl after extreme constipation, and was determined to get off. Most feel this way after a few weeks and want off. Communicate with your surgeon through e-mail to have questions answered. Keep daily notes on your medication intake, food, bowel etc.

That’s a tough call running back into surgery. Only you can decide how you feel about this. You should be feeling better in a few weeks, and can make a better decision at that time.

Sorry about the throat. Throat problems can be freaky.....I’ve been there. Hang in there.
                Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Oxycodone worked for me as far as pain relief, but (according to my doctor) it's "pretty toxic to the stomach." On my rehab discharge day, they gave me one at 6 a.m. on an empty stomach, and when the doctor came by to discharge me I was feeling nauseated. He was all spiffy and cheerful and I was turning green -- I told him I thought I was going to throw up, and since I didn't see a basin within reach, I grabbed the trashcan and said "this'll work." As I started retching he ran away and never came back.

I didn't have a problem with addiction after four days on a morphine pump and a week on Oxycontin and Percoset at the same time, but it was a shock to be taken off the narcotics abruptly when I went home, due to the pain factor.

Now home for two days on Darvocet, but still bloated and constipated. And unfortunately, it doesn't really do much for the pain.

I'm going to see my PCP today and I'll ask him about other pain-relief options. Narcotics are out for me, unless I plan to live on Milk of Magnesia forever. But it's so hard to get around, and outpatient therapy starts later this week. I'll let you know if I find out anything helpful today!
                  Juliet, age 57
                  37˚ lumbar and 35˚ thoracic with rotation
                  Diagnosed at age 11 and untreated.
                  Total degeneration of disc at L4-5, spondylolisthesis at L4, L5 sacralized.
                  Surgery on 10/26/10
                  Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine & Scoliosis, Center, Austin, TX.
                  University Medical Center @ Brackenridge Hospital.
                  Posterior fusion of T11-S1, part minimally invasive; TLIF at L4-5.

Comment

Looks like I'm back on Percocet for at least a couple of weeks.
                    I didn't have any trouble with addiction before, and I don't expect to now. Just the consiptation is a pain in the .. well, you know. And it's a big deal, but I found out the hard way I can't function at all without the painkiller, at least not yet. Trying to take things one challenge at a time for now!
                    Juliet, age 57
                    37˚ lumbar and 35˚ thoracic with rotation
                    Diagnosed at age 11 and untreated.
                    Total degeneration of disc at L4-5, spondylolisthesis at L4, L5 sacralized.
                    Surgery on 10/26/10
                    Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine & Scoliosis, Center, Austin, TX.
                    University Medical Center @ Brackenridge Hospital.
                    Posterior fusion of T11-S1, part minimally invasive; TLIF at L4-5.

Comment

I was on Oxycodone titrating down from every 12 hrs to once daily then off. At 4 wks postop, I just took myself completely off. I was actually having memory lapses and truly believe that I had poor pain tolerance as it worked so well, that after it wore off, I hurt so badly that I couldn't function. I only have vicodin (reg. strength) now as needed for pain and am doing SO much better. I definately needed it for the first few weeks and even up to the point of that end of the 4th week. HTH, PS I had no withdrawal symptoms even being on it for that long.
                      Heidi
                      35 year old mother of 2 lil girls
                      60 degree thoracic
                      44 degree lumbar
                      Oct. 11, 2010 surgery
                      Dr. Lenke St. Louis
                      1 year follow up: 15 degree thoracic, 22 lumbar
                      fused T1 to L1

Comment

re:

for some reason I have not had problems doing number 2 lol. which i am so happy about.

@BadKitty- I love the "pain in the butt" joke

my pain right now is very depressing. I find myself crying in bed and in the shower. I am so tired of this pain all day every day. i know things could be worst but this is what it is for me now.

i am having more rib pain, which my doc says it's due to my ribs pushing into my lungs and stufff.

thanks for listening guys
                        LaShawn Hardy
                        34 years old
                        Sep 2010 C5-C6 fused
                        36 degree curve Thoratic
                        Lumbar natural fusion
                        Surgery Date 1/31/2011
                        T2-L1
                        Dr. Herkowitz

Comment