Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-Op Pain

Hi Everyone,

I have yet another post-op question . I actually brought this question up in another thread recently..

I am 5 weeks post-op today and for the past few weeks I've had a pain that feels like a "bruise" along my lumbar spine, below the fusion/incision. It doesn't bother me at all when walking, sitting or even laying, but really only when I get up from laying on my back. It's almost as if when putting pressure on it directly it becomes very sore. As soon as I'm up and moving it lessens and I really only feel the pain when I press on the area.

Anyway I guess I find it strange that the soreness is along my spine mostly. This seems odd to me. I mentioned it to the nurse last week and she said this is normal, but being that it is below the fused area I just find it strange. Anyone out there with similar soreness?

Otherwise I am doing really well! I am sitting and standing for longer periods of time every day and can walk 3 miles without being winded at all!

Thanks everyone,
    Jamie

Hi Jamie Ann - I had some lower pain in my lumbar area for a few days and the nurse told me that over the first few months I would have various pains and weird sensations and not to worry. She was right; it went away after a few days and then I had a little pain somewhere else and it, too, went away. Still have a few weird sensations now and then. Wow, 3 miles is great! I'm doing 2 daily and hope to work up to 3 by the end of the month.
    Age 56
    Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
    Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
    Thoracic 68
    Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
    Dr Bridwell St Louis
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Thank you Lisa!

I guess the thing is that this pain is not going away after a few weeks. I suppose since this is my most mobile area of my spine it makes some sense to have some pain there (it's around L3, 2 levels below the bottom of my fusion). But the fact that it's BELOW the fusion and it's along the spine and not in the muscles is what is weird to me.

Thank you

Comment

Hi Jamie Ann, I'm about 9 weeks post op and the area right below my fusion on my left lumbar is the only place I feel pain at this point at times. When I saw the doc a couple of weeks ago he said it was probably due to inflammation still at the end fusion point. It has been hurting less with each week. Walking and excersise definately have helped me. It seemed just as soon certain pains subsided others became more noticable. Sounds like you're doing great though!
        Debra
        Age 45
        Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
        Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
        Fused T4-T12
        Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
        Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

Thanks Debra. It's good to know I'm not alone with these pains. I completely understand that I am still early in recovery and these pains will subside in time. I think also since I've cut way back on pain killers this pain may have always been there but is just more noticeable now..? Anyway thanks again .

Comment

Working...
          X