OMG! Pinch me cause it can't be...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG! Pinch me cause it can't be...

First of all, I wish to agaIn express my sincere gratitude to everyone here for all the information, experiences, humor and support. I know for a fact that I would not have had this life changing surgery without it!

I took a long look in the mirror by myself for the first time. There is no hump! Nothing, it's gone. I put on a bra for the first time and it goes straight across my back. I no longer have to wear an extender. I cried happy tears. Words cannot express it.

For the first time in 33 days, I took my first shower standing up and by myself. My husband was unsure but I convinced him I was ready.

And today for the first time in 33 days, I had a latte! I have not had any appetite, lost over 15 lbs, but did that latte taste good. My appetite is slowly returning.

Life is good again! Its going to be a beautiful day today, about 75 degrees, so I'm out for my walk. Hang in there please whoever is suffering any setbacks. There will be more good days than not!
    Laurie
    Age 57
    Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
    Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
    Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
    Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
    Dr Munish Gupta
    UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

So happy to hear such encouraging words..."life is good again". I wish you a full recovery. All the best, LYNN
    1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
    2000 Partial Rod Removal
    2001 Right Scapular Resection
    12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
    06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Ahhh, the magic of the latte...I am a fan myself

Congratulations on your new, even back! The first time I drove, I thought "wow, both sides of my back are touching the car seat". That was a first for me.

Glad that things are looking up for you! It's 46 degrees here, so I am jealous of your good walking weather. Soak up that sunshine and warmth for all of us.
      Kathy
      46 yrs at surgery, now 50
      71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
      8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
      http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Laurie, I'm so happy for you that you are up and about and enjoying the wonderful benefits of this surgery, and getting back your independence! I bet you look great! It sounds like you have a great, protective and caring husband too. I have a whole new appreciation for my husband after all he did. Enjoy that great weather!! It makes it alot easier to get out on those walks.
        Debra
        Age 45
        Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
        Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
        Fused T4-T12
        Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
        Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

Laurie you sound great! Life is good!
          You sound like your back is fantastic and I am so happy that it is straight. Clothes shopping is going to be so exciting. I still have a slight right wing on my back, but I am pretty pleased too.
          I have my 6 month check with my surgeon tomorrow and I can say today I feel like I am really turning the corner. I can actually say I feel good. Still have a some to heal, but I now know confidently that by a year I should be feeling back to normal.
          What a good feeling that we are on the other side and feeling good. I know how we were both contemplating surgery and look at us now!

So happy for you!
          Shari
          Shari - 55 years old
          Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
          Post op 13 degree curve.
          Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
          2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
          Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
          www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

What a great post--so happy for you! Isn't it amazing how little things (like getting a bra to fit normallly) can mean so much, you just want to bawl your eyes out? It will just keep getting better!

Anne in PA
            Age 58
            Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
            T4 to sacrum fusion
            63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
            Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
            Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

That's wonderful--congrats on such a great outcome! Janet
              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

That's great, Laurie, that you're doing so well! I'm a big fan of lattes too and make one every morning! The bra fitting normally is big! I'm still trying on clothes I quit wearing or didn't wear because I didn't look right in them and now I do! Wow, I really wish I would have done this earlier. Anyway, keep up the excellent recovery!
                Age 56
                Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
                Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
                Thoracic 68
                Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
                Dr Bridwell St Louis
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Hooray!!!! I am so happy for you. Aaaahhh.....latte's. One of the luxuries of life. I hope I don't have to wait as long as you did for my first post-op latte....

I am constantly being reminded of how much we all share. Both sides of your back touching the seat???? Only a person with scoliosis would understand the significance of that! Keep up the great attitude. We are here with you. Hugs!!
                  Jenee'-52
                  Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
                  Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
                  I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
                  9 hours
                  T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                  Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
                  Non-fusion
                  Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

Ohh i know that feeling very well. The one of 'life is good again'. Wishing you best wishes on a continued good recovery.
                    Vali
                    44 years young! now 45
                    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                    Post -op - 5 degrees
                    T11 - S1 Posterior
                    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Originally posted by lray View Post
                      First of all, I wish to agaIn express my sincere gratitude to everyone here for all the information, experiences, humor and support. I know for a fact that I would not have had this life changing surgery without it!

I took a long look in the mirror by myself for the first time. There is no hump! Nothing, it's gone. I put on a bra for the first time and it goes straight across my back. I no longer have to wear an extender. I cried happy tears. Words cannot express it.

For the first time in 33 days, I took my first shower standing up and by myself. My husband was unsure but I convinced him I was ready.

And today for the first time in 33 days, I had a latte! I have not had any appetite, lost over 15 lbs, but did that latte taste good. My appetite is slowly returning.

Life is good again! Its going to be a beautiful day today, about 75 degrees, so I'm out for my walk. Hang in there please whoever is suffering any setbacks. There will be more good days than not!

Laurie,
                      Congrats!!!!
                      Those "Life is Good" days are wonderful aren't they?
                      You made me realize for whatever reason, maybe I just never thought about it, I always had to use an extender on my bra too but didn't realize it was becaus of my scoliosis. I just thought I was fat, but I'm not! It was so frustrating to find a bra that fit. Well, now the bra fits better but I thought it was because I had lost so much weight! Lol!
                      Laurie, keep on walking and hope your good days keep on!
                      May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Laurie

Sounds good. I cannot comment on the bra extender device, I have no idea....possibly a Madonna cone thingy? That’s the only thing that comes to mind. LOL

Hope laughing doesn’t hurt too much anymore...good for the abdominals.

I remember the day I realized that I had no pain at all. It was about 3 months out, a feeling that I totally forgot about. Having no pain took me a while to get used to, I just couldn’t believe it. Your pain will see-saw with physical tests, and might have to sleep for a day or two, but you should constantly improve as time passes.

Take care, and take it easy. There is a lot of healing going on right now.
                        Ed
                        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

congratulations, Laurie...you deserve the happiness! enjoy your new, straight spine!

ED...i sent you a private message with a little bra primer course...

when does ski season start..? isn't that what you do in winter, rather than scuba diving?

jess

Comment

Fantastic, Laurie!
                            I was just sitting here realizing that when I sit, I unconsciously swivel both legs to the left edge of the chair and then cross my legs, and I think it's because then both sides of my back hit the chair...I'm constantly having to readjust and purposely sit forward straight and just ignore the back of the chair. Polly posture.
                            Happy for you!
                            Amy
                            58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                            Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                            Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                            2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                            Exercising to correct

Comment

Jess,

Officially, ski season starts when there is snow. Tomorrow, it will be 78 degrees here, same temps as Florida.

It’s going to be a La Nina winter... With most skiers, that basically means that more alcohol is consumed while waiting for something to happen. Anxiety sets in, and we get jumpy. Its like waiting for surgery, only it happens every season.

My November “bear traps” that I had talked about are minimal this year. I’m very pleased about that. The acid test will be when the storms start passing through here.
                              Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                              X