hernia after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hernia after surgery

Has anyone experienced having a hernia after surgery? I am 2 months post op, and knew there was something wrong. Having bad advice from the surgeon's PA, my gut said go to urgent care. I learned a hernia never goes away and I need it corrected or will always be in pain and be in the situation of possibly having it explode.

thanks.
    XLIF 7 discs replaced L5-T10 lateral PEEK implants, pedicle/facet screws, rib resection
    Pre-surgical: 40 d lumbar-thoracic, sponylolisthesis, kyphosis, all discs ruptured, stenosis
    Post-surgical:12 d, 1" taller
    Surgery: 8/27/2010 Dr. W Smith, Las Vegas University Medical Center
    53 yrs old

Hi Karena...

Do you know if this is a regular hernia or an incisional hernia?

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Linda
      I don't know what kind but urgent care notes it is down at the cecum/appendix area. I suspect between the manipulation of muscles during surgery and initial constipation were the culprits. I have two appts tomorrow with surgeons, one on monday and one next wednesday. I have an abdominal brace to help support it, but it really isn't doing much. I can barely stand or sit for very long. I call it my little alien. Karen
      XLIF 7 discs replaced L5-T10 lateral PEEK implants, pedicle/facet screws, rib resection
      Pre-surgical: 40 d lumbar-thoracic, sponylolisthesis, kyphosis, all discs ruptured, stenosis
      53 yrs old

Comment

It turns out it is not a hernia. Saw my surgeon today. In XLIF, no muscles were cut, but moved extremely, especially in my case when i had a rotated spine. It also stretched out the nerves in the abdomen, hence post op pain. Prescribing neurontin has been a God send for me at least. Before I was lying down so much due to the abdomen pain, now I can get on with healing. The stretched nerves happens in 1% of XLIF cases. Aren't i lucky.
        53 yrs old

Comment

Thank goodness it's not a hernia! I know the last thing you want to do is have more surgery. I was told by my surgeon that "minimally invasive" doesn't necessarity mean less traumatic, and you found out the hard way. Glad to hear there's a remedy and you can get on with recovery!
          Juliet, age 57
          37˚ lumbar and 35˚ thoracic with rotation
          Diagnosed at age 11 and untreated.
          Total degeneration of disc at L4-5, spondylolisthesis at L4, L5 sacralized.
          Surgery on 10/26/10
          Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine & Scoliosis, Center, Austin, TX.
          University Medical Center @ Brackenridge Hospital.
          Posterior fusion of T11-S1, part minimally invasive; TLIF at L4-5.

Comment

Working...
          X