Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about shoulder pain

Hey Everyone,

I have a question for those of you who had a lot of shoulder pain before surgery. I have a double major S curve, and my right shoulderblade is next to my 50 degree T curve apex. I have had a stabbing pain between what feels like my spine and my shoulder blade for 4-5 months now. Over the last few weeks, it has gone up my neck (to the point where it hurts to turn my head) and today I have a tingling right arm, like it is always just waking up from being numb. The pain is SEARING. I'm wondering if maybe a T disc finally bit the dust, because this feels like how my left leg felt after my L2-3 Disc herniated 3 years ago. Started out with mild discomfort that spread to all out stabbing, aching pain.

Anyway, I have seen a lot of posts on here from people post-op who have bad shoulder pain. I'm scared that if I have the surgery, the pain I already have there won't actually get any better.

Anyone have the kind of pain I'm talking about BEFORE you had the surgery, and actually have the pain REDUCE or get better at all?

I know there are no guarantees, but man, this pain is SO bad today I felt like going ahead and scheduling my surgery!!!
    Rebecca
    Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
    wore night bending brace as teenager
    Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
    herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
    fusion L2-3 November 2008
    Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
    Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
    Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
    gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
    Before and After X-rays
    My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Hi Peachcrush, Many times I had searing, stabbing pain down behind my right shoulder blade before surgery. I would think when the pain was particularly bad that I could just throw myself on an operating table if there was a chance for relief. I did have some tingling in my fingers on occasion, but the docs thought that was from my neck. That pain, that varied in intensity, and was not the main reason I had surgery, is now gone. I can't believe it, after so many years of so much back pain it feels like wow - this is what my back is supposed to feel like? I don't know how long it will last, but I'm loving it for now and I'm so grateful. Of course, I'm just one person and it's only been 9 weeks and everyone's different. You may have already tried this for some relief, but yoga helped me greatly in my 20's and 30's. Hope you feel better
    Debra
    Age 45
    Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
    Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
    Fused T4-T12
    Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
    Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

Working...
    X