Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OR Report

Hi Everyone,

I just received a copy of the OR report, and it's very cool!

I have a question though. As one of the procedures it lists autograft for spine surgery, but they also list allograft. I understand autograft means using my own bone but if they didn't take it from my hip, where did it come from?? I did not have a thoracoplasty.

-Jamie

It comes from parts of your own vertebrae.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Autologous bone is typically harvested from intra-oral sources as the chin or extra-oral sources as the iliac crest, the fibula, the ribs, the mandible and even parts of the skull.
      Kara
      Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
      Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
      T4-L2
      Before 50T
      After 20T

Comment

By the way this is all that was said in the report re: autograft, and it does not make sense to me:

We also used autograft from the same site both the spinous process and the bone resection that was morcellized and also packed into the lateral gutters in the fusion site.

Comment

Thanks Karen - I was not aware, but am happy to hear that they were able to use my own bone. I am still not clear how they collect this bone - do they collect what is "drilled" out for the screws?

Comment

Hi Jamie Anne,
            For my surgery, if I understood the doctor correctly, he used material from the facet joints that he removed from the vertebrae (to increase flexibility). I felt lucky not to have the additional procedure in my hip. It's amazing what they can do.
            Debra
            Age 45
            Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
            Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
            Fused T4-T12
            Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
            Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

autographs

yes, it means they use bone removed for all other reasons during the procedure; they also take off little "bites" of bone from the outside of the spinous processes; some of the pieces of bone which are too big to heal as quickly as smaller ones do are "morselized" which basically means cut into much smaller, finer pieces (cutting a big piece into "morsels", to put it in plain english);
              this technique, combined also with the use of BMP, has improved healing and avoided what was often much worse pain when iliac crest was harvested
              junosand
              59 yo recently retired otolaryngologist (ENT surgeon)
              schedule oct 2010 for T11 - sacrum fusion, all posterior approach with pedicle screws, steels rods, revision decompression left L3-4, right L4-5 & L5-S1, transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion L3-4 L4-5 L5-S1
              with titanium cages
              Dr Lenke, WashU/Barnes/Jewish St. Louis

Comment

In one of the old surgeries that Dr Winter performed 30 years ago, I noticed that he would break off the spinous process with a pair of pliers and set on a dish....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinous_process

Just one of the ways to find some bone.

I had absolutly no bone used on my surgeries. BMP only.
                Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Well now if I had done a proper Google search originally to define "spinous process" this would have made more sense. I finally get it now. I had no idea they do this, and I think it's pretty cool!

Thank you everyone for helping to translate this OR report for me!

Comment

Working...
                  X