seven week first post-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seven week first post-op

It’s been 8 ½ weeks since my surgery and I had my first post op visit last Monday. I’m so happy to be counting the weeks and days on the other side of this surgery. And for all those having upcoming surgeries your time will come too. My back is still very numb on the left side, but other than that I’m mostly pain free. I do have muscle soreness that seems to come and go around my left lumbar-I think this where the fusion ends. In general, I can’t believe I could feel this good. I must have really underestimated my pain before. I did have the selective fusion, T4-T12 so my lumbar is not fused. My curves come in at 37d thoracic and 39d lumbar. I know it’s not an extreme correction, but it’s what I expected as this was a tradeoff to not fusing both curves. My main goal was to stop the progression and protect my lungs/heart, but I feel I got so much more. I’ve been walking a lot, about 45 mins a day(ish). I got in the pool this past weekend (and I didn’t sink to the bottom!). I swam on my back doing the elementary backstroke, and so my spine didn’t really need to move. It felt great. A few weekends ago at 5 ½ weeks post op I walked with my son in a CROP walk (fundraiser), I only planned to only do the 1 mile route – but I ended up doing the whole 5 miles! My son was so good to me, we were absolutely the slowest walkers and way behind everyone else – but he just kept saying it didn’t matter how fast we went, he was having fun (until of course he got a phone call from a friend near the end, then he was pushing me along a bit). I never dreamed I would have been able to do that so soon after surgery. I’m still flat on my back at night to sleep (but so happy to be sleeping through the night), I haven’t ventured to my side yet. But I was recently able to snuggle with my hubby without feeling like a mummy robot. I’m back to doing most things – just more slowly. I started physical therapy last week, and my therapist has a healthy respect of the surgery I’ve been through. We started very slowly. He’s focuses on exercises for abdominal area (I’ve got my work cut out for me there) and low back muscles, and the importance to continue to use my hips and legs so as not to over stress the lumbar disks. I know the disks below the fusion are at an increased risk for degeneration, but I’m trying not to stress about this. Again, I’ve said it often before, that this forum helped me immensely when I was deciding to have surgery, preparing for surgery and now in my recovery!!
    Debra
    Age 45
    Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
    Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
    Fused T4-T12
    Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
    Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Congratulations, Debra, for your excellent report and great recovery! It is so nice to be on "the other side." The 5 mile walk is very impressive! Keep up the speedy recovery!
    Age 56
    Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
    Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
    Thoracic 68
    Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
    Dr Bridwell St Louis
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Great 1st post-op visit, it gives me hope! I am really happy for you. BTW- I was at Dr. Boachie's office last Mon. too! Wonder if our paths crossed?
      Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
      T54/L72
      Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
      Gained 2 inches!
      Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
      12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
      Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Debra, I'm thrilled for you! It seems like yesterday when we met for coffee the week before your surgery. You had a positive attitude and that certainly helps. All the best and I'll speak with you before my big day! LYNN
        1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
        2000 Partial Rod Removal
        2001 Right Scapular Resection
        12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
        06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Wow!

Debra,
          That is amazing that you walked 5 miles at 5 and 1/2 weeks! Good for you! That reminds me of Pam (txmarinemom) who walked a 5K at about the same point in her recovery. Almost as amazing to me is that you are sleeping through the night! That has certainly been elusive for me, as I get up at least 2-3 times each night .

I'm glad that you had a good follow-up wth Dr. B. and that you are feeling so good. Keep us posted. I love to hear how others are doing in recovery.
          Kathy
          46 yrs at surgery, now 50
          71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
          8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
          http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

need to wear forum names in waiting rooms

Lori,
            That's funny that you and Debra might have been in Dr. B's waiting room at the same time. I think we forum users should wear a tag with our forum ID on it while at the docs
            Kathy
            46 yrs at surgery, now 50
            71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
            8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
            http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Thanks ladies for your kind words.
              Lori, Sorry our paths didn't cross, Kathy's right name tags are in order. Let me know how your visit went - I've been thinking of you. I'll pm you too in case you don't check back on the this thread.

Kathy - I thought of Pam too when I did this. I remember the picture she posted with her friends of the walk after her surgery, and thinking NO WAY.

Lynn-You really helped me so much that day, the week before surgery. That was a shaky day for me, I must have hid it well. I'm thinking about you as you get ready for Dec. 7th!!
              Debra
              Age 45
              Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
              Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
              Fused T4-T12
              Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
              Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

Working...
              X