Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chest Pains at 4 Weeks Post-Op

Hi Everyone,

Well, the hip pain went away and now I've moved on to other strange symptoms. Oh, the joys of post-scoli surgery .

I am feeling great pain-wise and am walking more and more each day. However, I noticed that when standing, walking and sitting a lot I get chest pains. When I lay down, they seem to go away. I feel a tightness in my chest, though it does not really feel worse when I breath in. It almost feels like intense heartburn at times.

Stress? Doing too much too soon? I feel good, so I'm not sure what might be causing this pain. It worries me to have chest pains.

Thanks everyone,
    Jamie

I think you should have the chest pains checked out. It's probably nothing serious but after a surgery like that I think you need to be sure. And it will give you peace of mind. You need to make sure it's nor a blood clot or embolism or something like that.
    Age 56
    Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
    Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
    Thoracic 68
    Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
    Dr Bridwell St Louis
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Hm... ok I will continue keeping an eye on it. It actually feels a lot like indigestion now, but is not going away with usual treatments. I will call the doctor tomorrow if it's worse, or my surgeon on Monday if it's the same.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by JamieAnn View Post
        Hm... ok I will continue keeping an eye on it. It actually feels a lot like indigestion now, but is not going away with usual treatments. I will call the doctor tomorrow if it's worse, or my surgeon on Monday if it's the same.

Thanks
        Jamie,

they are on call on the weekends for a reason. Chest pains are not something to ignore. If you were someone else reading your post, it would probably raise an eyebrow. Why don't you call? It can't hurt--that's what they are there for.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I saw my primary today and they believe it is severe heartburn. I will quit taking all the vitamins and whatnot until it goes away!

Comment

JamieAnn, I never had heartburn in my life until post-surgery. The first time I was still in hospital. The pain was severe. I think they thought it might have been a heart attack and ran an ECG. I asked for Mylanta and they brought it. The pain eased almost immediately. I've had the same thing twice in the last 18 months. Sometimes it seems there is no reason for it i.e. it happening when I haven't eaten for hours. I haven't spoken to my dr. about it because Mylanta seems to fix it though the last time it took two doses before it eased. It's very unpleasant. Does this sound like what you're experiencing?
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JamieAnn View Post
              I saw my primary today and they believe it is severe heartburn. I will quit taking all the vitamins and whatnot until it goes away!
              I don't understand how it could be heartburn if it goes away when you lie down. I'm thinking it would probably get worse then. No?
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I completely agree, Linda. This morning it was not getting better when I laid down though. It is better now, not 100% but much better when taking the Mylanta.

I've had heartburn before but this felt stronger. I am hoping it is just from all of the vitamins and various pills (softeners, Dilaudid, Tylenol) that I have been taking for the past month. I am not going to take anything other than pain killers as needed, and see what happens.

Comment

I think you'll be fine jamie, it will resolve once your more healed up and your muscles are calmer
                  Age 25 male
                  Upstate NY
                  T3-L3 fusion for 80's degrees kyphosis
                  Anterior 9/21/10 & posterior 9/28/10
                  Post op degrees soon to come

Comment

Working...
                  X