Some thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some thoughts...

As I read the posts from those weighing their surgical options or who are in the last few pre-op weeks (sheer hell) or the early stages of recovery, I can't help but reflect on where I was a year ago at this time. I went through most of my life with minimal issues from my back, was in total denial about its obvious progression and it was pretty much ignored by the local medical community. Once I hit my 50's, the occasional pain and stiffness became chronic, everyday misery. At this time last year, I had just returned from my first surgical consult and based on that Dr.'s reaction, had decided to keep on trying to manage conservatively. When I posted that decision on the forum, it was met with a resounding "No, no, you have to find a surgeon" from some of you. I will be forever grateful to those of you who prodded me out of my denial.

Long story short, a year later, I am truly living a different life. I have a long fusion and do not feel limited in any way (which was one of my greatest fears.) I can bend over to leash my dogs and tune a student's violin. I can stand as long as I want, cook, teach, swim, walk, serve my church, etc. and I feel normal. Due to the severity of my curves, I will always have a somewhat crooked back, but I am not in pain anymore. I realize I was very fortunate with my recovery and the memory of those difficult early weeks tends to fade with time. So I just want to prod those of you who may need it the way I did and offer encouragement to those in other stages of this journey. As Rita just said, we're all walking this together, just at different places. I never, ever thought I would do this surgery and never envisioned that it would change my life the way it has.
    Now if I could just lose that post-op 12 lbs!
    Hugs to all of you, my scoli friends.

Anne in PA
    Age 58
    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
    T4 to sacrum fusion
    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Great post Anne. You are a success story and an inspiration that we all need to hear. Thanks, Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Great message, Anne. I am truly happy I had this surgery and just wish I would have had it ten years ago! And I can really thank this forum for leading me to good surgeons to investigate.
      Age 56
      Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
      Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
      Thoracic 68
      Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
      Dr Bridwell St Louis
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Thank-you so much for your post. I am really glad to hear you are doing so well. I really look forward to the day that i can say I no longer have daily pain. It is only because of people like you, that I have had the courage to pursue this. I ,too, always said I would NEVER have surgery. Never say never!
        Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
        T54/L72
        Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
        Gained 2 inches!
        Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
        12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
        Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Anne,

I am happy to read your report. I am also sentimental on my anniversary dates, which I just recently had my 2 year.

As I just told Rita, as good as you feel now 1 year post op, you will feel even better as time goes by. I can't believe how 'normal' I feel at 2 years.

Keep up the good work!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Anne

You did it! Whew!

Its nice to have a pain free report....

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Anne,
              Thanks for posting. I will also be fused T4-sacrum and worry about ever being able to leash my schnauzers, put a golf tee in the ground, swing a golf club decently, walk normally, etc. ,so it's nice to read your success story.
              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
              Rib Hump-GONE!
              Age-60 at the time of surgery
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
              X