Itchy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Itchy

So, I keep having itchy places on my back but when I go to scratch them I can't feel it! Someone tell me this will stop. It's driving me crazy!!! I just want to smack my head against my desk in frustration... of course I can't bend down to do so but you get what I'm saying!
    Tiffany K
    I'm not short, I'm fun size!

29 years old
    4'11", never braced
    Pre-surgery, 52° T6 to T12, 35° T12 to L4
    T1-L2, Posterior 8/5/2010, gained 1"

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=03212f3e17

I can't answer your question and understand your frustration, but after reading your description, I had to smile. I can tell you have a really good personality.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hi Tiffany,

When was your surgery? I've heard people refer to this as "phantom itching." It is from your nerves growing back. It started when I was around 3 months post-op and lasted for a few weeks. Ice works really well to numb the nerves. Bengay and Calydryl Clear lotion also helped me a lot. Tiger balm would work too or anything with some type of numbing agent. I've actually had this itching come back recently and I'm 2.5 years post op! I guess the nerves are still trying to grow back.

Shell
      Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
      2003- 33 degrees
      2005- 37 degrees
      2006- 44 degrees
      May 2007- 47 degrees
      December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
      Fused T1 to L2
      Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Hi Tiffany - I know what you mean. I get some itchy areas on my back and yet I am still numb in places when I try to scratch. I'm not as numb as I was and I'm starting to get feeling back. I get a lot of weird sensations. Like when I lean back against a chair I feel like I am leaning against 2 boards near my shoulder blades. When I back away, it feels like I am pulling my spine away from the boards. I think that as I get feeling in some places and not in others that is what causes these weird sensations.
        Age 56
        Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
        Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
        Thoracic 68
        Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
        Dr Bridwell St Louis
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

I'm 1.5 years post op and still get phantom itching! it drives me nuts, but the nerves take a loooong time to regenerate.

Comment

This was such a great question, thanks for asking it. I am 6 months out and this happens to me often and it does freak me out. I found grabbing both sides of shirt and kind of rubbing it against the spot helps a little. (sounds weird) Most bizzare feeling having the itch and scratching and no feeling. It is so good to have all of you that know what each of us is talking about. My husband is empathetic, but he doesn't really get when I say this and what it feels like. Sounds like the nerves take a while and to think I am already impatient with how long it has taken. Makes me feel better that I am not "behind" in my healing. That's what I worry about sometimes.
            Thanks again!
            Shari - 55 years old
            Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
            Post op 13 degree curve.
            Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
            2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
            Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
            www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

At 20 months post op, I still get the occasional itchy/tingly nerve tickle in my back.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by TiffanyK View Post
                So, I keep having itchy places on my back but when I go to scratch them I can't feel it! Someone tell me this will stop. It's driving me crazy!!! I just want to smack my head against my desk in frustration... of course I can't bend down to do so but you get what I'm saying!

I am 5 1/2 post op and I get those itchy feelings all of the time. Glad to know that it is normal

Melissa[/I]
                Last edited by mbeckoff; 10-22-2010, 08:21 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I get those phantom itchies too...I rub against the wall or chair and chuckle because I feel like when a cow rubs against the fence to get their itchies! I have found the best is to rub a towel over the spot. It takes a long time for those nerves to grow back, it just comes with the territory I guess.
                  May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Have had those same itchies esp. in my upper back although it doesn't happen as frequently now. Felt like I wanted to use the cat's scratching post but couldn't get down that far! Bath brush in the shower seemed to help a little, but scratching really doesn't relieve it. Have also had the "phantom bra strap" sensation where it feels like there's something there when there isn't.

Anne in PA
                    Age 58
                    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                    T4 to sacrum fusion
                    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Somehow my itchies have calmed down a bit, although I'm sure that I say that now and tomorrow they'll be back. I told my surgeon about it today and he looked at me like I was crazy! I don't think he got the fact that I'm so numb still that I can't feel when I'm scratching. He eventually got it though and said I can use whatever I want.

Shari- I had to laugh when you said about grabbing your shirt on either side to rub the spot. That's exactly what I had been doing and didn't even realize it!

Anne- I've never had the phantom bra strap yet. However, as soon as I'm home that baby comes off.
                      Tiffany K
                      I'm not short, I'm fun size!

29 years old
                      4'11", never braced
                      Pre-surgery, 52° T6 to T12, 35° T12 to L4
                      T1-L2, Posterior 8/5/2010, gained 1"

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=03212f3e17

Comment

Working...
                      X