X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long over due update

most of you no i had my postioer spinal fusion on march 10 2010
    I'm fused from T4 to L2. I went to the hospital at 6:30 A.M
    We check in at the nurses desk in Preop holding. After i was waiting for my name to be called. I was feeling scared but ready after 5 years of having scoliosis i was going to have surgery to fix it. My name was called Kara . It was my preop holding nurse. We followed her to my preop holding room. In my preop holding room i had to change in to a hospital gown. I had to take of all my closets. Then i got two id bracelets. after a while my OR nurse came to get me. I went to the 2nd floor which where the ORS are. I saw my surgeon right before my surgery. He placed his hands on my feet to let me no i was i'm good hands.
    after 8 hours in the OR i came out with 2 rods, 5 hooks and 10 scwres
    he used my bone and donor bone.
    march 11 2010 I was in the ICU on the 5 floor of the hospital. march 12 2010 I was still in the ICU. March 13 2010 I was moved from the ICU to the Orthopedic unit. march 14 2010 i walked with PT and did orther things with OT i also went for x-rays. March 15 2010 just walked with PT and did the same things with OT. March 16 2010 I walked for the last time with PT went down to x-ray. after i had my x-rays i had really food for the 1st time shine my spinal fusion. I also saw Dr Gupta for the 1st time shince my surgery. after 7 days in the hospital i went home to recover on my bed it was moved in to the liveing room.
    Now i'm going on 7 months postop
    Kara
    Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
    Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
    T4-L2
    Before 50T
    After 20T

That's a great report of what happened in the hospital.

I didn't keep any notes in the hospital with my two daughters. I'm glad I wrote some of those things on this forum because I have no other record and in some cases no memeory of that stuff now. Some things I am just forgetting and some I am probably blocking.

Other things, unfortunately, I will never be able to forget.

P.S. I hope you don't fall any more!
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Kara - I hope at 7 months post op your back to feeling great. My DD had surgery the month before you and is back to normal!

Sharon - I'm in the same boat. Didn't think I'd need to retain the info from Surgery, but my oldest has progress a lot this last year and is having surgery next month. I try to remember everything from last time and really can't remember a lot of the details. Thought it was just me so thanks for posting that info.

Dee
      Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
      Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
      Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

Thanks Dee
        Kara
        Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
        T4-L2
        Before 50T
        After 20T

Comment

How are you feeling now? Hope you are doing great.
          daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
          -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
          -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
          -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

I'm feeling alsome
            Kara
            Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
            T4-L2
            Before 50T
            After 20T

Comment

Kara,

I'm SO glad to hear that your back pain has finally gone away! Did you ever get to see your spine surgeon (I know he was out of town for a while) to see what was causing your back pain?

Mary Lou
              Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Well marylou no i didn't see my spine surgeon i going to see my GP probley tommrrow about it
                Kara
                Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                T4-L2
                Before 50T
                After 20T

Comment

Working...
                X