Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling a bit crooked

Hi Everyone,

I'm 10 days post op, and the swelling is going down a lot. I am now noticing that the top part of my body sits a little to the side. Like my shoulders still being uneven, I am 99% sure this is just that my muscles haven't been worked out yet. But is that really the case? I feel like I need to pull myself to the right to look completely upright.

Thanks!
    Jamie

Hi Jamie. My left shoulder droops slightly. Only I notice it. If I lift my left heel half an inch, it evens up my shoulders. But my surgeon didn't recommend a heel lift when I asked. I have a slightly wonky gait which I can minimise by tightening my core and holding down my right shoulder. I still have a 22 degree curve.

It's small bikkies. I'm not perfect but I can do anything and I have absolutely no pain. I'm very happy with my outcome.

That's not to say you won't get an improvement. I think you will, once you start working the muscles, and they get used to their new positions. If you ask your surgeon about a heel lift, I'd be interested in what he has to say.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks Jennifer. It is less about my shoulders being uneven and more the fact that the top of my body entirely seems to be pushed to the left just slightly. I'm the only one that can notice it so far, except my visiting nurse. I am confident once I build my muscles it will even out, I am just curious if this is normal or should I call this to my doctor's attention before I "settle" this way..?

Comment

Hi...

You should report it to to Dr. Errico's office on Monday. They may want to put you in a brace (or adjust the brace if you're already in one), to be sure you heal straight.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks Linda, I owe them a call on Monday anyway as a follow up to the drainage I had this week. I will let them know and see what we can do!

Thanks again,
          Jamie

Comment

JamieAnn,

What did they say? Hope they can get you straightened out!!

Evelyn
            age 48
            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Evelyn,

I actually did not mention it on Monday because somehow I look more straight now. I am seeing the doctor tomorrow morning so I will be sure to mention my shoulders still being uneven, and I will ask him to see if he agrees that I look aligned now.

I will let you know how tomorrow goes - it is my first post-op appointment with the surgeon!

Jamie

Comment

my shoulders were VERY uneven (worse than pre op) immediately after surgery, and for weeks after...but as i slowly readjusted to my new position and my muscles became stronger, i eventually evened out. i'm now 1.5 yrs post op and am very even and straight! don't worry!

Comment

I agree with not worrying.

My one kid had an obvious trunk tilt immediately post op (both in person and on radiograph) which is completely gone now (see Kid2 post-op radiographs in "Got the Radiographs" thread where the rods are vertical now. The posted image is after it resolved. (Note I called it a trunk shift in that thread but it was a lean. She still has a slight trunk shift because of the type of curve she had as far as I can tell. You can see that on radiograph but it is less obvious in person.)

And the other kid has uneven shoulders for several weeks that eventually evened out.

I think you will even out in all planes.
                  Last edited by Pooka1; 11-30-2010, 01:56 PM.
                  Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                  Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to provide an update on this. I noticed after a few days that the top part of my torso did in fact start evening out, which is why I didn't bring it to the surgeon's attention. It is now perfectly fine and I feel really even all around .

Comment

That's great news!
                      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                      X