hardware removal scheduled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hardware removal scheduled

I saw my surgeon this morning. I had my fusion on 8/25/09, T-3 to L-3. I have been in an annoying amount of pain, high in the fusion, daily. So, he is removing all hardware on Nov 2 (with a possible re-instrumentation then, if he finds obvious non-union at that time) and then will do a repeat CT 6 - 12 mos later to check for fusion, and if there is a non-union, re-fuse that area.

From what I've read here, if there is no reinstrumentation, my recovery should be 4 - 6 weeks. . .not bad, compared to the fusion surgery.
    Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
    Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
    Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

oops! I meant to put this over in the "revision" section. . .
    Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25

Comment

Just to make you feel better, at UCSF, we don't consider implant removals to be revision surgery.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

How nice to be right, even if it was accidental.
        Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25

Comment

Originally posted by mgs View Post
          I saw my surgeon this morning. I had my fusion on 8/25/09, T-3 to L-3. I have been in an annoying amount of pain, high in the fusion, daily. So, he is removing all hardware on Nov 2 (with a possible re-instrumentation then, if he finds obvious non-union at that time) and then will do a repeat CT 6 - 12 mos later to check for fusion, and if there is a non-union, re-fuse that area.

From what I've read here, if there is no reinstrumentation, my recovery should be 4 - 6 weeks. . .not bad, compared to the fusion surgery.
          I have a question. Did the hardware bother you from the beginning of your recovery or did it start to bother you later on? I am fused T2- S1 and am 5 months post op and the pain from the hardware is very bad. It has not gotten any better in the five months.

Melissa
          Last edited by mbeckoff; 10-06-2010, 06:08 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

The part of my back that's giving me trouble never did feel quite right, post-op. After the first few post-op months , the rest of my spine felt fine. This area, though not excruciating, continues to be quite uncomfortable, unless I amlying down. I don't feel any particular points of pain (as in, I'm unaware of the presense of the screws, etc). It is enough of a bother that it is making a definite difference in how active I am in my daily life.

Besides a non-union, the other possible causes are infection or that the hardware is irritating my rhomboid muscles. Time will tell.

My surgeon said that he rarely does hardware removal, but in my case, he thinks the risk:benefit ratio makes it worth a try, if I want to go that route. I do.

Good luck to you, Melissa. I hope you and your doc can figure out what the problem is, and fix it. Pain sucks.
            Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25

Comment

Best of luck mgs. Hope this surgery eliminates the problem and that you recovery smoothly.

Melissa: I'm sorry to hear you are still suffering so badly. I don't have any answers, but am wondering if it's time to see another surgeon, if you're getting nowhere with your current one. What does your current surgeon say is causing the pain?

I wonder how Lynette is going, anybody know?
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                Best of luck mgs. Hope this surgery eliminates the problem and that you recovery smoothly.

Melissa: I'm sorry to hear you are still suffering so badly. I don't have any answers, but am wondering if it's time to see another surgeon, if you're getting nowhere with your current one. What does your current surgeon say is causing the pain?

I wonder how Lynette is going, anybody know?
                Would another surgeon take on a current patient that is just 5 months post -op? I am seeing my surgeon Tuesday . I am going to discuss this with him at that time

I was just thinking about Lynette myself

Melissa
                Last edited by mbeckoff; 10-06-2010, 05:44 PM. Reason: additional information

Comment

Oh good Melissa. I hope your surgeon can give you some answers. I am horrified that you are still suffering so much. I'll look out for your update.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                    Oh good Melissa. I hope your surgeon can give you some answers. I am horrified that you are still suffering so much. I'll look out for your update.
                    Thanks

Melissa

Comment

Good Luck Mgs, I hope removal of the rods is the answer for you. Keep us posted. If it works for you, maybe I should ask my Doctor if it would help me.
                      Sally
                      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

hi Sally
                        are you thinking of hardware removal because you are you in pain...?
                        was hoping the last surgery was THE last for you...

hope you are having nicer weather down there...been raining 3 days straight up here!

jess

Comment

Our weather in the Piedmont area of NC which is about 1 hour north of Charlotte has been wonderful. Cool mornings - 60 degrees but 70 degrees and sunny all day. The leaves in the higher elevations has started to change but nothing where I live yet.

Sally - where is your pain? My surgeon has said that he will not remove hardware for at least 18 months after surgery. So if this my problem, I am looking at surgery next year at this time. I really do not think that I can last that long . I cannot sit , stand or lay down without pain. Sleeping is no longer an pleasant experience .

Melissa
                          Last edited by mbeckoff; 10-07-2010, 06:57 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                          X