Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting nervous

Ok fellow scoli's,
    I am starting to get nervous, I'm packing stuff already and trying to stay calm. Oct. 11th seems to be rocketing down on me! Seems like just a few days ago I was still 6 weeks out. I have been training my replacement at work this past week so maybe that is it. Spending as much time with my girls as possible this weekend and next. Dr. Lenke's office called yesterday afternoon and said that I wouldn't need the central line. Whew..... that is a big weight off of my shoulders. I was going to have to get it on friday and have thru next weekend. Soccer mom to the left with the big central line .... Ugh, I just envisioned getting it infected or yanked out by the little one. I asked why and they said because the surgery wasn't going to take but around 4-5 hrs. and I have barrels for veins (I do, it's almost embarassing. I've had patients actually ask me, as I am looking at their arms for their IV site, can you just give me yours? poor things, I would give them one in a heartbeat if I could) I am so glad that I finally got on here, I am almost obsessed with checking it now.....
    thanks for all of your replies on my prior threads
    Heidi
    35 year old mother of 2 lil girls
    60 degree thoracic
    44 degree lumbar
    Oct. 11, 2010 surgery
    Dr. Lenke St. Louis
    1 year follow up: 15 degree thoracic, 22 lumbar
    fused T1 to L1

Heidi
    Good Luck on the 11th
    It ok to be nervous before this type of surgery because it a really serous surgery.
    Kara
    Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
    Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
    T4-L2
    Before 50T
    After 20T

Comment

This is the hardest time. My DD is scheduled for 11/9. She's starting to get nervous too. Good luck and speedy recovery.

Dee
      Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
      Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
      Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

I remember the last week or so was really hard. You are just ready to get to the other side of surgery. If your time allows, it helped me to read novels and let my mind escape the daily life. I actually got a Kindle so I could read easier during recovery too.
        Hang in there and know this is actually harder emotionally than the healing. Ok, maybe not harder, but the waiting is different and anxiety driven.
        I found the forum helped so much and like you I checked it so often.
        Blessings to you these last days of prep!
        Shari - 55 years old
        Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
        Post op 13 degree curve.
        Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
        2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
        Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
        www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

Hi there, Heidi....

....and welcome! I won't have much by way of tips or experience for you, as I am not in your shoes- having not had surgery yet and none scheduled. But you made me laugh with your soccer mom imagery and large veins. I think I may be jealous of your veins. What is the world coming to when that is enviable?!

Anyway, I am thinking you will do just fine. Oh to be 34 and getting the scoli surgery out of the way....

All the best to you!
          Amy
          58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
          Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
          Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
          2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
          Exercising to correct

Comment

I am wishing you the best Heidi. I will be following shortly after you with surgery scheduled October 25th. I am getting nervous as well. You will be through this before you know it. I wish you a speedy recovery on the other side.
            Chris, Austin, TX
            80 degree thoracic/36 degree lumbar curves
            Surgery 8/2/10, Anterior Cervical Decompression/Fusion
            C4/5, C5/6, C6/7
            New Surgery date 10/25/2010, T-2 to Pelvis, posterior
            Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine and Scoliosis Center

Comment

Chris,

How did your neck surgery turn out....What was the surgery like?
              Amy
              Exercising to correct

Comment

Heidi,
                It's natural to be scared. I know I'll be a basket case. We have one of the best surgeons in the country and we just have to turn our backs over to him and trust that we will be happy with the results. Good luck . I'll be thinking of you.
                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                Rib Hump-GONE!
                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                Now 66
                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

thanks to all for the replies, tomorrow starts the countdown. work weeks fly for me so it will be a whirlwind until next weekend again. I am still nervous but have calmed some. And I agree, we just have to turn our backs over to the doc and let them perform their art.
                  Heidi
                  60 degree thoracic
                  44 degree lumbar
                  Oct. 11, 2010 surgery
                  Dr. Lenke St. Louis
                  fused T1 to L1

Comment

Hi Heidi,

you and I share the same surgery date. I too am awfully nervous, tearful at times mostly around my dear friends at work who are worried about me too. Ironicaly my back hasn't been too bad this weekend, which is great for adding in a little bit of last-minute doubt.

There is a nasty flu going through my workplace right now. I wash my hands a million times a day, and had my flu shot two weeks ago. Last thing I want is to get sick.

Tuesday (tomorrow) I'm off to Portland with hubby for the pre-op appt, as well as pre-op testing, meeting w/anesthesia, and some pre-op PT (not sure what for). My surgeon has been studying my images, and I will learn the exact surgical plan at the pre-op appt, which I am looking forward to knowing. I have done so much reading about spine surgery over the last few years, I want to know exactly what is planned. Last minute questions for the surgeon also.

I work today, then Wednesday is my last day. I am afraid I will be a basket case. I told my work friends that I want no fanfare, just private well wishes and let me slip away quieltly. I know I will be very emotional that day, and I'm dreading it.

Thursday I go with my best friend to a work conference that we are both looking forward to. She will be good company for me that day.

Friday I am off work, and my kids are out of school, so we will spend the day doing whatever fun and special things they want to do. Then my in-laws arrive Saturday to stay with us and take care of the kids. Sunday afternoon hubby and I will drive to our hotel in Portland (~2 hrs away). Check-in at hospital at o'dark early on Monday.

I will ask my husband to post updates for me. Please wish me well. Heidi, I will be thinking of you and wishing you well, too. Can't wait to hear that you're on the recovery side, too.

Gayle
                    Gayle, age 50
                    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Wishing everyone well

Here is wishing Gayle, Heidi, Dee's DD, and Chris very well!

You can do this. These surgeons are amazing.
                      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Wishing all of these folks the very, very best and for a smooth recovery. Take care all and let us know how things go. You'll do great. Janet
                        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                          Here is wishing Gayle, Heidi, Dee's DD, and Chris very well!

You can do this. These surgeons are amazing.
                          I second that...Ladies, take care and report back! Best wishes to all of you!
                          Amy
                          Exercising to correct

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes. Gayle, I work in a Peds unit in a hospital and we have had RAMPANT influenza B showing up. My surgeon doens't want me having the flu shot so close to surgery so my kids and all family will be getting it. My hands are getting raw from the scrubbing and washing. I've been neurotic about masking. And then this weekend my sinus' started draining and I called this am to Kelly and asked what I could take, I was scared to screw up anything being so close to the surgery date by taking over the counter stuff. Ugh. I almost got hoarse, then I started obsessing about getting bronchitis and not being able to get the surgery. Im a nerd, but being a nurse sometimes makes it worse as I start to think ahead of the symptoms and worrying about things that COULD happen.
                            Everyone here at work asks me EVERY day what day is my surgery. I feel like stamping it on my forehead. They mean well. I just count myself lucky to work with the group that I do. just like extended family. Somehow they avoided the scoliosis though, that's why I am here LOL
                            Heidi
                            60 degree thoracic
                            44 degree lumbar
                            Oct. 11, 2010 surgery
                            Dr. Lenke St. Louis
                            fused T1 to L1

Comment

Chris,

How did your neck surgery turn out....What was the surgery like?

Foofer, thanks for asking. The surgery went fine. It was a bit harder on me than I expected. My neck is very stiff and sore and I can hardly move it from side to side. I am driving again using my mirrors. I was in the hospital 3 nights, one in ICU as a matter of routine. Surgery lasted about 2hrs 15 mins. Initial recovery period 6-8 weeks, but still recovering.

I think it will just take time. I wear a bone growth stimulator fusion device around my neck 4 hours a day. The goal is to make my scoli surgery safer due to the extensive stenosis in my neck.

Hope this answers your questions.
                              Chris, Austin, TX
                              80 degree thoracic/36 degree lumbar curves
                              Surgery 8/2/10, Anterior Cervical Decompression/Fusion
                              C4/5, C5/6, C6/7
                              New Surgery date 10/25/2010, T-2 to Pelvis, posterior
                              Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine and Scoliosis Center

Comment

Working...
                              X